Did you mean: 

Do I worry too much? RE: kids on bikes in street

tag
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Do I worry too much? RE: kids on bikes in street

fishbjc wrote:
AND THEY'RE WEARING HELMETS....CORRECT?

DW is ADAMANT that they wear helmets. Santa Claus brought DD a new bike last year but I guess he forgot to include a helmet. She was disappointed that she couldn't ride until we bought one. I think it is a law here in VA for kids to wear one anyway.

However, as kids, we never had them. We're relatively OK today. ...Twitch....Twitch.
Message 11 of 16
Scamp
Valued Contributor

llecs wrote:

DW is ADAMANT that they wear helmets.

However, as kids, we never had them. We're relatively OK today. ...Twitch....Twitch.

Smiley Very Happy  As a kid, I never wore one - no law for it back then.

However, in my small, Midwestern hometown, it WAS a law that a kid could only ride on the sidewalk until he/she passed the Bicycle Rules of the Road Test (including things like hand signals for turns and stopping) and thereby earned a bike license, some variation of which law I think every town should have - I'm horrified when I see the neighborhood kids riding against traffic in our sidewalk-less subdivision and otherwise clueless about all the rules of the road for bikes (and safety).  They're an accident and a trip to the ER (or morgue) waiting to happen!  Smiley Surprised

Llecs, you might think about getting hold of those rules and teaching them to your kids soon; I do feel that the main reason I never have been involved in an accident and am "twitch"-less today, my 1970's Schwinn still in good shape after 30+ years of riding (I quit growing at age 12, so I can still ride the thing), is that I was required to learn those Rules while I was in grammar school and have heeded/used them all my life.  Smiley Happy

02/12/09 EX: 701 / 02/08/10 EQ: 719 / 02/08/10 TU: 723

Backdoor Numbers, Credit Scoring 101, Understanding Your FICO Score PDF
Message 12 of 16
MattH
Senior Contributor

@scapegrace13 wrote:

@llecs wrote:

DW is ADAMANT that they wear helmets.

Smiley Very Happy As a kid, I never wore one - no law for it back then.
However, in my small, Midwestern hometown, it WAS a law that a kid could only ride on the sidewalk until he/she passed the Bicycle Rules of the Road Test (including things like hand signals for turns and stopping) and thereby earned a bike license, some variation of which law I think every town should have - I'm horrified when I see the neighborhood kids riding against traffic in our sidewalk-less subdivision and otherwise clueless about all the rules of the road for bikes (and safety). They're an accident and a trip to the ER (or morgue) waiting to happen! Smiley Surprised
Llecs, you might think about getting hold of those rules and teaching them to your kids soon; I do feel that the main reason I never have been involved in an accident and am "twitch"-less today, my 1970's Schwinn still in good shape after 30+ years of riding (I quit growing at age 12, so I can still ride the thing), is that I was required to learn those Rules while I was in grammar school and have heeded/used them all my life. Smiley Happy

Oh, yes, the Bicycle Rules of the Road Test, my Wisconsin hometown also had such a rule. A cop came to our school and with the help of several teachers laid out the test on the parking lot, with cones indicating lanes, portable signposts, etc.

Times have changed since then: all the years we lived there, we never locked the doors unless we spent a night away from home. Different world, but even then I knew not every place was like that!
TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 13 of 16
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

I remember some sort of bicycle test or course. CAn't remember leaning anything, though. I do remember how to signal so I must have been taught something.

Good idea for the kids. Our towns (all is merged here in DC area) sometime offer Bicycle Rodeos or Derbys. We haven't been to one, but the purpose is to learn bike safety. Might try that too.
Message 14 of 16
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

When I was a *kid*, helmets weren't even thought of.  Today, my sister is living in Heaven.  She had a bike crash and hit her head.  She was declared *brain dead* and died three days later.  She was 17.

Message 15 of 16
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

fishbjc wrote:
When I was a *kid*, helmets weren't even thought of.  Today, my sister is living in Heaven.  She had a bike crash and hit her head.  She was declared *brain dead* and died three days later.  She was 17.

I'm sorry.

It is stories like this that will re-affirm the necessity of a helmet.
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.