Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do it all over again...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do it all over again...

If you could start from scratch on your credit card journey, but could only have 3 cards what would they be? Would it be one if the big trifecta's (Amex, Chase), a lesser known trifecta, or a mixture of different company's to make up your three? The beauty of the whole thing is, if you don't have your perfect setup, in time we all can get there! 

I think I would go Citi Double Cash, Chase Freedom Flex, and Amex BCP. I'm a cash back guy and simplicity I think would be my strategy.

Message 1 of 31
30 REPLIES 30
TattnallTrio
Frequent Contributor

Re: Do it all over again...

Finger Hut

First Premier and Blaze MasterCard 

Message 2 of 31
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

@TattnallTrio wrote:

Finger Hut

First Premier and Blaze MasterCard 

😅🤣😁

Message 3 of 31
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

For me...

AODFCU 3% Sig Visa

Amex BCP 6% grocery and streaming

Chase Freedom 5% categories 

Message 4 of 31
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

Citi Premier (3x on dining, grocery, airfare, hotels, and gas)

Blue Business Plus (2x MR catch-all card)

Lowe's Store Card (I like my home to be top-notch and the special financing offers are awesome. They also sell gift cards to just about every other place I'd need one for)
Message 5 of 31
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Sophie's choice since I'd have to give up Marriott Bonvoy, but if I could only have three: Amex Business Platinum, Amex Gold, and Amex Delta Reserve.  That was most of my 2020 spend anyway so not far off from where I am now.

Message 6 of 31
JNA1
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

If you could start from scratch on your credit card journey, but could only have 3 cards what would they be? Would it be one if the big trifecta's (Amex, Chase), a lesser known trifecta, or a mixture of different company's to make up your three? The beauty of the whole thing is, if you don't have your perfect setup, in time we all can get there! 

I think I would go Citi Double Cash, Chase Freedom Flex, and Amex BCP. I'm a cash back guy and simplicity I think would be my strategy. I'm a cash back guy as well, and those 

Assuming I could get approvals with decent limits, I'd say AOD, US Bank Cash +, and AMEX BCP. This would the best way I know to optimize with only 3 cards. I'd have the Cash + set as 5% utilities and cable/internet, BCP for 6% groceries and at AOD for 3%. Based on my normal spend of the last 2 years, this would yield between $1400 - $1500 per year, not counting any SUBs. 

Our credit card journey started 3/2018

Hover over cards to see limits and usage. Total CL - $584,600. Cash Back and SUBs earned as of 9/1/22- $15292.65
CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 7 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ChargedUp wrote:

For me...

AODFCU 3% Sig Visa

*Edit* I just saw the thread on this card and it answered all my questions.
I see a lot the AODFCU, I'm intrigued. Do you have to be a member of the credit union? Is it a tough card to get?

Message 8 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@JNA1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I think I would go Citi Double Cash, Chase Freedom Flex, and Amex BCP. I'm a cash back guy and simplicity I think would be my strategy. I'm a cash back guy as well, and those 

Assuming I could get approvals with decent limits, I'd say AOD, US Bank Cash +, and AMEX BCP. This would the best way I know to optimize with only 3 cards. I'd have the Cash + set as 5% utilities and cable/internet, BCP for 6% groceries and at AOD for 3%. Based on my normal spend of the last 2 years, this would yield between $1400 - $1500 per year, not counting any SUBs. 

$1400-$1500 that would be a nice yearly haul!

Message 9 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@ChargedUp wrote:

For me...

AODFCU 3% Sig Visa

*Edit* I just saw the thread on this card and it answered all my questions.
I see a lot the AODFCU, I'm intrigued. Do you have to be a member of the credit union? Is it a tough card to get?

Indeed, lots goes into the process to get the AOD!

At the moment, I actually have what I think is my perfect 3-card-setup based on my spending habits/living situation:

AOD Visa Signature - 3% everyday spending

US Bank Altitude Go - 4% dining

USAA Cash Back Rewards - 5% Gas

Maybe at a different stage in life, I would switch one out for Amex BCP or US Bank Cash+. I currently don't do a whole lot of grocery shopping and don't pay for utilities through my current rental agreement, but I could imagine some major changes to my current spending habits if I ever end up being a homeowner.

Message 10 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.