Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do store employees annoy you?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Do store employees annoy you?

I work in retail (Disney Store) and we are supposed to ask if you want to apply for a card but most of us generally don't just because we all feel like it's being too pushy. Our managers don't push it and we don't solely run on getting people to apply for cards, mainly because Disney is such a brand in and of itself. I actually hate having to do an in store application, it's time consuming and usually people are given the dreaded not instantly approved "don't call us, we'll call you" thing.

As for people asking me? I hate it because I know I'll be denied (so I always say no), but I know it's part of their job. Most companies force their employees to ask. I just politely decline.

Message 11 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

Funny you should bring this up.  I once had an associate at a TJ Maxx trying to get me to apply for their card and I told her I had too many recent inquiries and that I couldn't afford one over a TJ Maxx card.  I proceeded to say that you're considered more likely to declare bankruptcy if you have more than 6 inquiries within a year.  I can't remember the exact figure but I remember it was something along those lines.  Anyways, she said "I don't believe that."  I don't know, that kind of irritated me though.  I was wondering if she even knew what an inquiry was.

Message 12 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

Absolutely not. This doesn't bother me for two main reasons.

1) I don't know much about store credit cards so I like to hear about them if for no other reason than sheer curiosity.

2) I used to work at Books-A-Million, so I know about enormous sales pressure. Books-A-Million offers a membership card for a nominal fee that gives you a 10% discount on all the merchandise in the store for a year. People were fired every month (or at least their hours got cut) for not selling enough discount cards. The pressure is so overwhelming that Books-A-Million was chosen the very worst company in America to work for in 2014-- http://247wallst.com/special-report/2014/06/21/americas-worst-companies-to-work-for-3/4/  

The card Itself -- which for the record isn't a credit card -- is actually a pretty good deal for people who shop there at least 5-6 times a year, and we had people who shopped there every week who not only always declined the card, but refused to even let us explain what it did. Of course, they have every right to do this, but their closedmindedness stopped them from saving in some cases more than $100 a year.

Message 13 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Chris679 wrote:
I always politely say "no thanks I have enough cards already" and that's the end of it. I did go off on a cashier at Sears once though because she said "it doesn't hurt to apply."

LOL

Message 14 of 41
Callandra
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

2) I used to work at Books-A-Million, so I know about enormous sales pressure. Books-A-Million offers a membership card for a nominal fee that gives you a 10% discount on all the merchandise in the store for a year. People were fired every month (or at least their hours got cut) for not selling enough discount cards. The pressure is so overwhelming that Books-A-Million was chosen the very worst company in America to work for in 2014-- http://247wallst.com/special-report/2014/06/21/americas-worst-companies-to-work-for-3/4/  

The card Itself -- which for the record isn't a credit card -- is actually a pretty good deal for people who shop there at least 5-6 times a year, and we had people who shopped there every week who not only always declined the card, but refused to even let us explain what it did. Of course, they have every right to do this, but their closedmindedness stopped them from saving in some cases more than $100 a year.

I've never been offered that Smiley Sad (speaking of which, I have a MyPanera card which I was also never offered until one day a manager helped me and offered it to me -- it's not a credit card, but more like a point/rewards card. I've gotten free pastries, smoothies, and discounts just by using it when I visit. It's perfect for me as I LOVE Panera and it's free to get...but I digress)

I understand how store employees feel as I worked in retail for many years. I would always stop talking about the card as soon as someone said "no." Of course some customers are not exactly polite when turning you down. I had one woman tell me the Target debit card would hit her credit (sure it will...if you drain your bank account and they can't get their money!). 

I always politely say no, but I hate it when they're really pushy. One time I was with my mom at Kohl's. I wasn't buying anything and she was just buying a small bag. She had her Kohl's card out and politely said she was using her Kohl's card to the cashier right away. The cashier didn't even look at my mom; she looked right at me and tried to sell me a Kohl's card! I wasn't buying anything and she ignored my mom, her (paying) customer!!! The cashier kept pushing me too and I think I may have rolled my eyes. =X

Some stores are pushier than others; American Eagle has gotten pushy (and it's so tempting as I love AE...) and Express to me has always been the worst. Not just with CCs, but just in general. Every time I try something on, they keep bringing and dumping all these other clothes I never asked for in the fitting rooms. I try not to shop at Express anymore even though they sometimes have cute things. 

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 15 of 41
Sharingan
Established Contributor

Having worked in retail during high school and college, I know exactly what those store associates have to endure on the job. A simple "no thank you" really is the best reply to such offers. I also wouldn't advise explaining your reasons either because they are likely to not understand or just not care. Most people on this forum know how to contact executive offices of various companies, and that would definitely be the route to go to complain about receiving credit card offers in a store, not to the sales associate.

Message 16 of 41
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

Went to Macy's recently Christmas shopping and yes it gets annoying.  We stopped at several different counters while in the store and it was the same pitch over and over.  idk, stuff like that just gets on my nerves.  I hate it when they follow me around asking how they can help also.  I just want to shop!  If I need help i'll let you know.

Message 17 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting stories here! Especially the ones told by actual retail associates.

The first and only store card I applied for was at Old Navy. I was a newbie to the States and had never in my life being asked about opening a credit card in a store. Dumb enough I was enticed by the promised $20 or $25 saving and punched in my social. Got denied of course since I had no credit history whatsoever.

Took me a sweet time to realize how bad this move really was in regards to a good credit history. Luckily this one is long gone from my record.
Message 18 of 41
Kirmie2010
Established Contributor

They never really ask me, happens rarely, probably look like a hobo or something Smiley Happy

When they do ask it annoys me just as much as telling Taco Bell, I want 2 crunchy tacos 1 burrito and thats it nothing else.  They respond with would you like a drink with that?  I know its part of their policy to ask and I dont much care Smiley Tongue its still annoying.

Its annoying when they push it, if I wanted it I would ask.

Message 19 of 41
Roarmeister
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Whenever you find yourself at the check-out of Macy's, Home Goods, Gamestop, Best Buy, Victoria's Secret, etc, do the store employees annoy you about signing up for their credit cards? 

What do you generally say to them? 

"No, thanks."  What more NEEDS to be said?  They are just doing their job - leave it at that.

Starting Score: EQ 732 October 2007; Current Score: EQ 839; TU 865, July 2022;
Oldest Reporting EQ Account: 20.4 years; EQ AAoA: 9.9 years;
ACTUAL Oldest account 40.1 years; ACTUAL AAoA 19.3 years.

Message 20 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.