cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you believe your credit score is "everything"?

tag
Phoenix-rising
Frequent Contributor

Do you believe your credit score is "everything"?

DH runs a business for a guy who owns a car dealership for a living.  On more than one occasion he's remarked to DH that "your credit score is everything."  Every time he says it, it makes DH feel like carp.  This is one of the reasons I'm trying so hard to help get DH's scores up.

When I hear people say things like that I just want to smack someone.  I mean, come on.  Your credit score is a number, just like the stupid numbers on that scale I step on every morning.

There IS life after BK and there IS a whole lot more to life than a credit score.

Message Edited by Phoenix-rising on 07-01-2008 11:47 AM
DH's FICOS: July '08 TU-661 / EQ-593 / EX-656 --> April '09 TU-730 / EQ-705 / EX-685

MY FICOS: July '08 TU-735 / EQ-727 / EX-767 --> April '09 TU-789 / EQ-774 / EX-767
Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Do you believe your credit score is "everything"?

No your credit score is not everything your family and happiness and well being is everything. 

But, your credit score can save you a lot of money.  So it is important. 

Main thing is to live life to the fullest and show the people you love how much you care for and respect them.  JMO vicki
Message 2 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I am a mom, wife ,daughter, sister, I have saved numerous lives by being a nurse, I have hobbies, if my credit score is everything than I am nobody. I think the only thing that a credit score does is tell people how you handle money and even that is not accurate at times. I want a good credit score to save money and open up opportunities that I might not have.

Message Edited by wildcat on 07-01-2008 10:24 AM
Message 3 of 23
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Bad credit does not equal bad person
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 4 of 23
cobra19
Valued Contributor

I, for one, pay more attention to those numbers on the scale I step on every week that I do my credit scores.

New York Yankees - 2009 World Series Champions. 27... and counting.....
Message 5 of 23
Phoenix-rising
Frequent Contributor

I keep trying to convince DH that the world does NOT judge him by his credit score.  I repeat that over and over and over.  He's a wonderful husband and father and human being, but he's hypersensitive because of his BK7.  I can't wait until that darned thing drops off his report.

I have a hard time empathizing because I never had to worry about my credit score before.  I wondered if it bothers everyone who has had to recover from bad credit or if he's more sensitive than most.  It's easy for me to say the credit score is just a number.  I've had a pretty easy time getting credit when I need it.  I haven't had to face the amount of rejection that he has.

Talking about his credit reports usually depresses him, which is why we avoided dealing with it for a long time. It really makes me feel sad for him to see how it affects him.

This forum has been the first glimmer of hope we've had concerning credit and we have finally been able to start actively dealing with his credit issues.  I'm really thankful to have found this place and learned that there ARE things you can do to raise your scores.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who thinks a credit score is just a number.
DH's FICOS: July '08 TU-661 / EQ-593 / EX-656 --> April '09 TU-730 / EQ-705 / EX-685

MY FICOS: July '08 TU-735 / EQ-727 / EX-767 --> April '09 TU-789 / EQ-774 / EX-767
Message 6 of 23
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I guess if you're a hyper car dealership owner who is fixated on getting cars sold and off the lot, and uses credit scores to make it happen, you're going to keep yapping over and over about this. Unless he's just a malicious SOB who knows your DH is sensitive about his scores and likes to rub his nose in it. Smiley Mad

I figure that most of us here have had, shall we say, adventures in credit land, and we're all in recovery mode. It was not quite 15 months ago that a brand-new 30 day posted on my reports and drop-kicked me back to 590, and I'd say that this is true for the huge majority of us here.

I'm glad that he cares (so many people don't!), but as long as he's moving forward and not backward, that's what really matters. Tell him to use a CC to go buy some earplugs for the next time that Mr. LoudMouth starts up again! Smiley Very Happy
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 7 of 23
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

Try healing cancer with your credit score. 
Message 8 of 23
marty56
Super Contributor

Or getting into Heaven.  Thank God that Jesus did a PFD for us all.
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 9 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I die, I want my credit scores engraved on my tombstone.

JK! Smiley Wink
Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.