Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone pay for group bills?

tag
Subexistence
Established Contributor

Does anyone pay for group bills?

This is mainly a survey post but I'm curious how many people pay for group bills. For example if I go camping with my friends or a restaurant requires only 1 person pay the bill, I'm usually the one to pay the bill. This is because my friends know that I have high credit limit and I have cashback rewards. I often pass my cashback rewards back to my friends. For example if I pay with my Uber in a restaurant, I tell my friends to only pay me back 96% of their bill. This in effect saves them 4%. Since I get 4% cashback from Uber I break even when I save them money. 

Starting Score: Ex08-732,Eq08-713,Tu08-717
Current Score:Ex08-795,Eq08-807,Tu08-787,EX98-761,Eq04-742
Goal Score: Ex98-760,Eq04-760

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

History of my credit
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Does anyone pay for group bills?

Depending on what exatly it is, we split it equally. Or pay itemized based on the check, who ordered what. The only time one of use will pay the whole bill and split it up later, is for concerts ballgames etc. Where all tickets need to be purhcased at once to sit together. 

Message 2 of 6
Subexistence
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Depending on what exatly it is, we split it equally. Or pay itemized based on the check, who ordered what. The only time one of use will pay the whole bill and split it up later, is for concerts ballgames etc. Where all tickets need to be purhcased at once to sit together. 

Do you usually pay the whole bill when it needs to be purchased at once?

Starting Score: Ex08-732,Eq08-713,Tu08-717
Current Score:Ex08-795,Eq08-807,Tu08-787,EX98-761,Eq04-742
Goal Score: Ex98-760,Eq04-760

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

History of my credit
Message 3 of 6
wasCB14
Super Contributor

At restaurants I tend to use my card for the whole bill, getting cash from others.

I tend to use my card to book travel for family.

Occasionally I've bought things for other people, had them reimburse me, then I'd manage the price protection claim process and give them a cut of any proceeds.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 4 of 6
youdontkillmoney
Valued Contributor

My cousin and his GF tag onto my ATT cell bill beause I have great rates/discounts. What's great is ATT allows me to "split" the bills when paying online with his and my CC so it is pretty much hassle free for me. 

Message 5 of 6
tacpoly
Established Contributor

Whoever organizes pays (i.e. restaurants, event tickets, if we’re sharing accommodations or want to sit together on the flight). Costs get divided simply — no discounts for cash-back cards, usually split evenly. There are no issues of anyone mooching (we’re all established financially) and if there were, that person wouldn’t be invited again.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.