Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eco - Friendly cards?

tag
NoMoreE46
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

Eco - Friendly cards?

This one issues wooden debit cards:  TreeCard - The wooden debit card that plants trees.

This one supposedly plants trees every time you swipe:  Aspiration Zero | Carbon-Neutral Credit Card

This article highlights recycled, bio-sourced cards:  Eco-friendly credit cards (2022 update) (thalesgroup.com) 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Eco - Friendly cards?

Amex Green became a little greener with its 70% reclaimed ocean plastics a while back.

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/card/green/

Edit: The Amex Green card is actually the "#2. Thales Gemalto Reclaimed Ocean Card" in your last link.

Message 2 of 8
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Good Information. Thank you for sharing with us.

Message 3 of 8
wasCB14
Super Contributor

BofA WWF Cash Rewards? They get some small cut of the spend.

The card lasts so long since I only use it online and from my mobile wallet.

Not Citi. They send me too many ads in the mail.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 4 of 8
NoMoreE46
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

This tidbit from the last link sticks with me:

Did you know that the amount of plastic used to produce banking cards every year is equivalent to the weight of 150 Boeing 747s?

And that the six billion banking cards made every year produce a carbon footprint equal to 500,000 passengers flying from New York to Sydney?

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NoMoreE46 wrote:

This tidbit from the last link sticks with me:

Did you know that the amount of plastic used to produce banking cards every year is equivalent to the weight of 150 Boeing 747s?

And that the six billion banking cards made every year produce a carbon footprint equal to 500,000 passengers flying from New York to Sydney?

You may have noticed that some FIs have gone to five year cards. Benefit would be less plastic and a lower card loss in the mailing systems. Do not hear much about it but that seems a good step in plastic reduction. Also, potentially a security move too!

Message 6 of 8
moto4man
Regular Contributor

Am I the only one that refuses to app these places?  Especially Aspire...  I'm not down with anyone pushing an agenda while taking my money at the same time.  Espeically if I don't necessarily agree with it!

Starting Score: 547EX
Current Score: 694EX 689EQ 696TU
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 8
mxp114
Valued Contributor

That wood card is beautiful. Discover used to offer a recycled plastic card but no longer. They seem to be a great candidate to offer another eco-friendly card or even a wooden card. 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.