cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ever use the "wrong" CB card by accident?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ever use the "wrong" CB card by accident?

I'm sure it's happened before and I just didn't realize, but today I swiped the wrong darn card at the grocery store.  I guess I was thinking of the previous Chase Freedom grocery quarter, so I swiped $100 to that card instead of my BCE.  So, 1% instead of 3%.  $2 lost.  Not the end of the world, but it just irritates me that I screwed up.  Anyone else ever swipe the wrong card by accident and kick themself for it?  I guess this is one of the downfalls of having a decent variety of cards, as it increases room for error.

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
JamP
Valued Contributor

Re: Ever use the "wrong" CB card by accident?

Yes. Discover all the time, usually a day or two after the quarters runs out.

My DW can never remember any of the quarters.

Also she thinks grocery means every grocery store.....

I have also swiped the wrong card in a hurry especially when there is a line behind me.

250k+ CL and climbing.
Message 2 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did it today for the first time. Put my iTunes gift cards from Raise on my QS thinking I was only missing out on .5% and then as soon as I got done I remembered that my NFCU Member Deals 2% is bonus cash so I really tossed out 1.5% since I would have gotten 3% for it. Only lost $1.50 though so not a big deal. 

Message 3 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous remember, "a penny earned is a penny saved" Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
@Anonymousremember, "a penny earned is a penny saved" Smiley Happy

In the grand scheme of things, all of the rewards I get from my credit cards I could easily get by shifting around my budget so I try not to get upset when I throw money away somewhere. Credit card rewards are a fun game to play but that’s about it. 

Now if I traveled, that would be a different story but cash back? Meh. 

Message 5 of 24
wasCB14
Super Contributor

My only rotating category cards are Freedom and It. 5x URs is pretty easy to remember, and Discover's 5% is occasionally not exceeded by a miles card.

What I dislike is keeping track of different category definitions.

- Certain tickets aren't "entertainment".

- Amazon channels aren't "streaming".

- Bakeries and delis as dining vs. grocery vs. neither.

- Broad "travel" vs. planes, hotels, and cruises

Things like that discourage me from keeping Savor and BCP...and from getting an Amex Gold again.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 6 of 24
kdm31091
Super Contributor

It is a downside to many cards/reward programs. To me, when you're having to use a mental flowchart to figure out which card to use to maximize a buck or two, it may be time to just relax a bit. Trying to maximize everything can be exhausting and at the end of the day rewards are essentially chump change, not worth kicking yourself over a lost quarter or dollar or whatever. Rewards are a bonus on spend and I consider it "found money" or whatever, so there's nothing "lost" if I used the "wrong" card. It should be fun, not stressful.

I focus on earning rewards in the program I like vs maximizing every dollar. Spreading out too much on many different cards for specific purchases just dilutes your overall reward IMO because you will have a hard time getting to redemption thresholds (or else, even with no threshold, you're redeeming a dollar or two, which is pretty meaningless).

I'm guilty of it in the past, overly worrying about which cards to use for this or that, but it's just not worth the mental gymnastics. Putting that same energy into saving money in bigger ways in life will pay off much more than maximizing 1-2% on each purchase you make. Cutting out one Starbucks run a month will save you $2-4 and can more than make up for "lost" rewards, for example.

Message 7 of 24
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@kdm31091 wrote:

It is a downside to many cards/reward programs. To me, when you're having to use a mental flowchart to figure out which card to use to maximize a buck or two, it may be time to just relax a bit. Trying to maximize everything can be exhausting and at the end of the day rewards are essentially chump change, not worth kicking yourself over a lost quarter or dollar or whatever. Rewards are a bonus on spend and I consider it "found money" or whatever, so there's nothing "lost" if I used the "wrong" card. It should be fun, not stressful.

I focus on earning rewards in the program I like vs maximizing every dollar. Spreading out too much on many different cards for specific purchases just dilutes your overall reward IMO because you will have a hard time getting to redemption thresholds (or else, even with no threshold, you're redeeming a dollar or two, which is pretty meaningless).

I'm guilty of it in the past, overly worrying about which cards to use for this or that, but it's just not worth the mental gymnastics. Putting that same energy into saving money in bigger ways in life will pay off much more than maximizing 1-2% on each purchase you make. Cutting out one Starbucks run a month will save you $2-4 and can more than make up for "lost" rewards, for example.

@kdm31091 +1.  My thoughts exactly.  I was exactly as you described.  Now I don't care nearly as much.  I carry my Citi Prestige for dining, Business Gold for fuel, and my Amex Gold in Apple Pay for grocery...and I won't be using that for much longer I'm cancelling it at renewal because my grocery spend just doesn't justify the increased annual fee.  I also have my Citi Rewards+ in Apple Pay so that I can collect TYPs on my vending purchases at work.  

Message 8 of 24
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:  "Anyone else ever swipe the wrong card by accident?"

Hmmm ... you'd almost think the banks were COUNTING on us to make these mistakes occassionally since they complicate rewards with enrollment, merchant categories, quarterly or annual time-frames, and spending caps on higher rewards!  LOL ... Makes you want to just get a simple one-size-fits-all cash back card to use exclusively. 

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$850K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Aug 2023)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 9 of 24
JamP
Valued Contributor

When the DW and I go shopping she has a habit of asking me at the register which card.....

We try to put spend on mine and hers equally so it becomes a game for me. 

Its not fun for her. So as of late, I tell her when in doubt use the doublecash lol 

If they ever make a straight 3.5% or 4% card no AF, she would probably close 90% of her cards. 

Here is her lineup....

Walmart - Huntington Voice

Meijer - Amex BCE

Gas - Chase AARP

Restuarants - Cap1 Savor

Catagories - Discover IT

Cash - Walmart Store Card

TJmax when she wants to get her next $10 or $20 certificate

General Spend - CitiDC

You can see why she gets confused lol Smiley Happy

Mine are close to that but I have a couple different cards mainly Alliant VS and Sams Club.

250k+ CL and climbing.
Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.