cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ever use the "wrong" CB card by accident?

tag
Andypanda
Established Contributor

Re: Ever use the "wrong" CB card by accident?

Part of the readon I will be getting rid of disconafter my cash match year is over. Rotating quarters are not for me.

Message 11 of 24
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Mine is more "I think I used the right card, but maybe not".

I was just buying a ticket on the British Airways site, and was about to use my Dividend, one of the rare times when the categories are timely, as it gives 5% off airfare this quarter.    Then I thought, "Will this count as a foreign site and incur a FTF?"  Since I didn't know and didn't have time to check, I used the CSR instead for a nominal 4.5%

So, does anyone know about the BA site!

Message 12 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm sure it's happened before and I just didn't realize, but today I swiped the wrong darn card at the grocery store.  I guess I was thinking of the previous Chase Freedom grocery quarter, so I swiped $100 to that card instead of my BCE.  So, 1% instead of 3%.  $2 lost.  Not the end of the world, but it just irritates me that I screwed up.  Anyone else ever swipe the wrong card by accident and kick themself for it?  I guess this is one of the downfalls of having a decent variety of cards, as it increases room for error.

Definitely - I feel your pain!

Message 13 of 24
kilroy8
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Right at the time the quarters switch I occasionally goof. I realize it right after I put the card through and the cashier always gives me a confused look when I react. I just say, wrong card, cost myself some cash back.

Message 14 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, one of the downfalls of rotating category cards is just after you get used to using them for their designated category for 2-3 cycles they switch, so you're still in the mode of the "old" category when the new one starts. 

Message 15 of 24
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

I've had some strange instances where I thought we used the wrong card, and it ended up being the right card due to bizarre merchant coding.

My wife paid for our ice cream at Calistoga Creamery with BCP when it should've been Savor for Dining... Lo and behold, the ice cream shop coded as "Grocery Stores - Other" and earned 6%. The same day we went to a coffee joint and I used Savor, but it coded as "Merchandise" 🙄

Message 16 of 24
calyx
Super Contributor

I've done it.

And then I remember that for years I've used debit cards which got me 0 rewards, so I let it go.   
My first rewards card turns 1 year in September.   Compared to all the previous years I got 0/0%, I'm just happy to get something.

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 17 of 24
iced
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm sure it's happened before and I just didn't realize, but today I swiped the wrong darn card at the grocery store.  I guess I was thinking of the previous Chase Freedom grocery quarter, so I swiped $100 to that card instead of my BCE.  So, 1% instead of 3%.  $2 lost.  Not the end of the world, but it just irritates me that I screwed up.  Anyone else ever swipe the wrong card by accident and kick themself for it?  I guess this is one of the downfalls of having a decent variety of cards, as it increases room for error.

Not with CB, but I get a little irked when I find that I use CSR at a restaurant or store that doesn't code as dining. It's usually only a few hundred UR difference, but I imagine it adds up over the course of a year. Sometimes I get too cavalier with Apple Pay and run a transaction on the wrong card without realizing it until later, but again these are $25-50 screw-ups at a time, so no harm done.

Last year I did accidentally put an F upgrade on CSR instead of Platinum, resulting in 2400 UR instead 4000 MR, which upset me briefly until I remembered that I value UR at almost double what I do MR so it's probably a wash in the end.

Message 18 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wasCB14 wrote:

My only rotating category cards are Freedom and It. 5x URs is pretty easy to remember, and Discover's 5% is occasionally not exceeded by a miles card.

What I dislike is keeping track of different category definitions.

- Certain tickets aren't "entertainment".

- Amazon channels aren't "streaming".

- Bakeries and delis as dining vs. grocery vs. neither.

- Broad "travel" vs. planes, hotels, and cruises

Things like that discourage me from keeping Savor and BCP...and from getting an Amex Gold again.

This. Especially when it's different by network! A deli I used to frequent was groceries to Visa but dining to Disco (or was it the other way around...?).

Message 19 of 24
itsxluigi
New Contributor

I try not to use too many cards so it doesn't happen often, but it's happened twice not really being my fault.

Once was on Soylent.com. I know AmEx codes that site as "Groceries" so I assumed that meant 6% on my BCP, but for some reason when it posted it was only 1%, even though it definitely coded as Groceries.

Second time was just a couple days ago at Sam's Club. Figured I'd give it a shot, not really knowing what would happen. I got gas and wasn't sure if it would post as "Sam's Club" or a gas station. It posted as "Sam's Club Fuel", and even coded as Fuel. The CB posted today and it was only 1% :[

Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.