cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ever use the "wrong" CB card by accident?

tag
Aim_High
Super Contributor

Re: Ever use the "wrong" CB card by accident?

@itsxluigi wrote:  "I try not to use too many cards so it doesn't happen often, but it's happened twice not really being my fault. Once was on Soylent.com. I know AmEx codes that site as "Groceries" so I assumed that meant 6% on my BCP, but for some reason when it posted it was only 1%, even though it definitely coded as Groceries. Second time was just a couple days ago at Sam's Club. Figured I'd give it a shot, not really knowing what would happen. I got gas and wasn't sure if it would post as "Sam's Club" or a gas station. It posted as "Sam's Club Fuel", and even coded as Fuel. The CB posted today and it was only 1% :[

That is one of my pet peeves with cash-back cards that don't offer a flat rate on everything.  You can never be sure which "MCC" (Merchant Category Code) will be used and how that will affect the payout.  Smiley Mad  The fine print always tells you how that determines the payout but it can be frustrating and very illogical!!  I used my CSR to pay for US Passport renewal since it pays 3% on "travel", unlimited.  I got 1%, if you can believe it.  Seriously??  What else would I need a PASSPORT for?  LMAO  Smiley LOL  (Yes, I know some people use them for identification, but that is a secondary purpose.)  I called Chase to complain and they actually did a courtesy reversal and gave me the extra points, so that can be worth a try sometimes.  As far as the lower payout on gasoline at warehouse clubs, they specifically mention that in the fine print usually.  But still, I have usually gotten full credit at Costco since it shows up as "Costco GAS" versus "Costco".  

Sometimes, the whole thing just makes you want to commit to a single flat-rate cash-back card and not fool with the higher payouts.  It appears to me that anything above 1.5% payout on most cards has strings attached:  AFs, minimum redemption payouts, category restrictions on higher payouts, spending caps, maintaining separate accounts (banking/investment/paypal), credit account activity requirements, etc.

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 21 of 24
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Aim_High wrote:

@itsxluigi wrote:  "I try not to use too many cards so it doesn't happen often, but it's happened twice not really being my fault. Once was on Soylent.com. I know AmEx codes that site as "Groceries" so I assumed that meant 6% on my BCP, but for some reason when it posted it was only 1%, even though it definitely coded as Groceries. Second time was just a couple days ago at Sam's Club. Figured I'd give it a shot, not really knowing what would happen. I got gas and wasn't sure if it would post as "Sam's Club" or a gas station. It posted as "Sam's Club Fuel", and even coded as Fuel. The CB posted today and it was only 1% :[

That is one of my pet peeves with cash-back cards that don't offer a flat rate on everything.  You can never be sure which "MCC" (Merchant Category Code) will be used and how that will affect the payout.  Smiley Mad  The fine print always tells you how that determines the payout but it can be frustrating and very illogical!!  I used my CSR to pay for US Passport renewal since it pays 3% on "travel", unlimited.  I got 1%, if you can believe it.  Seriously??  What else would I need a PASSPORT for?  LMAO  Smiley LOL  (Yes, I know some people use them for identification, but that is a secondary purpose.)  I called Chase to complain and they actually did a courtesy reversal and gave me the extra points, so that can be worth a try sometimes.  As far as the lower payout on gasoline at warehouse clubs, they specifically mention that in the fine print usually.  But still, I have usually gotten full credit at Costco since it shows up as "Costco GAS" versus "Costco".  

Sometimes, the whole thing just makes you want to commit to a single flat-rate cash-back card and not fool with the higher payouts.  It appears to me that anything above 1.5% payout on most cards has strings attached:  AFs, minimum redemption payouts, category restrictions on higher payouts, spending caps, maintaining separate accounts (banking/investment/paypal), credit account activity requirements, etc.

Yes, I can believe it, because it's not within Chase's "travel" category.

https://www.chase.com/personal/credit-cards/rewards-category-faq

"Merchants in the travel category include airlines, hotels, motels, timeshares, car rental agencies, cruise lines, travel agencies, discount travel sites, campgrounds and operators of passenger trains, buses, taxis, limousines, ferries, toll bridges and highways, and parking lots and garages. Merchants that provide transportation and travel-related services are not included in this category; for example, real estate agents, educational merchants arranging travel, in-flight goods and services, on-board cruise line goods and services, sightseeing activities, excursions, tourist attractions, boat rentals, merchants within hotels and airports, and merchants that rent vehicles for the purpose of hauling. The purchasing of gift cards, points or miles do not qualify in this category unless the merchant has set up such purchases to be classified in the travel category. "

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 22 of 24
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

Touche' ... although I already knew this since I looked it up after it only gave me basic rewards.  However, my point is that it defies logic that a passport is not travel-related, and it is frustrating that sometimes what seems "common sense" for a category doesn't qualify.  Sometimes, when you are out choosing which card to use in a different situation from routine spending, you don't have time to research the details when you reach for your wallet.

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 23 of 24
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Aim_High wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

Touche' ... although I already knew this since I looked it up after it only gave me basic rewards.  However, my point is that it defies logic that a passport is not travel-related, and it is frustrating that sometimes what seems "common sense" for a category doesn't qualify.  Sometimes, when you are out choosing which card to use in a different situation from routine spending, you don't have time to research the details when you reach for your wallet.

I've had a few museums unexpectedly code as travel with Chase, so there are some nice surprises, too.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 24 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.