Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experian Unlocked?

tag
Gunnerboy
Frequent Contributor

Experian Unlocked?

A few months ago, I placed a freeze on my Experian.  Two weeks ago, I did the $1 for updated reports from creditchecktotal.com, and as soon as I cancelled it, I get an email saying that my Experican "credit file has been unlocked".  Worried that this meant that the freeze on my EX was lifted, I returned to the EX freeze screen (https://www.experian.com/ncaconline/freeze) thinking that I need to place a new freeze on it.  When I tried, I got an error message telling me that the freeze was still in effect.

So I know that a freeze restricts anyone from doing a HP on my report. What does the "unlock" mean in the context of Experian/creditchecktotal?

"Not everyone who helps you is a friend, and not everyone who challenges you is an enemy."
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
thornback
Senior Contributor

Re: Experian Unlocked?

"lock/unlock" performs the same as a freeze as far as preventing unauthorized report pulls.   A freeze is guaranteed by law (so you have some recourse should it fail) but the lock/unlock feature is not backed by law - so it's more of a use at your own risk feature.

If you have a freeze on your experian, then order a service owned by experian (such as creditchecktotal), the freeze will prompt the lock/unlock feature to auto-lock.  Once you cancel the service, you lose the ability to use the lock/unlock feature, so it auto-unlocks -- but doesn't affect the freeze as they are two different services.     You basically, briefly, had the bottom lock and the deadbolt on and now you just have the deadbolt.

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 2 of 4
Gunnerboy
Frequent Contributor

Thanks @thornback!

"Not everyone who helps you is a friend, and not everyone who challenges you is an enemy."
Message 3 of 4
thornback
Senior Contributor

@Gunnerboy wrote:

Thanks @thornback!

Welcome!!

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.