cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experience with selling items on eBay.....

tag
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Experience with selling items on eBay.....

Ebay and Paypal I could go on for hours. I started in 1997 and went to 2011 when I told em both to go to you know where and have never looked back. I was selling computer systems and other hardware till 2004 then antiques and collectibles to 2011, these were different corps of course. If you can take idiocy from the people that you will end up selling to and their complaints in an effort to screw you out of a few bucks then by all means go for it. Personally I would take them to a local consignment shop and let them handle all the headaches. I have been looking at Etsy and may give them a whirl after all I just quit selling the antiques and collectibles but I got hooked on buying at auctions and yard sales and have tons of the stuff. LOL.

Message 11 of 24
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

Ebay and Paypal I could go on for hours. I started in 1997 and went to 2011 when I told em both to go to you know where and have never looked back. I was selling computer systems and other hardware till 2004 then antiques and collectibles to 2011, these were different corps of course. If you can take idiocy from the people that you will end up selling to and their complaints in an effort to screw you out of a few bucks then by all means go for it. Personally I would take them to a local consignment shop and let them handle all the headaches. I have been looking at Etsy and may give them a whirl after all I just quit selling the antiques and collectibles but I got hooked on buying at auctions and yard sales and have tons of the stuff. LOL.

My first week was actually pretty good, 4 items, sold within 2 days $1300+. One was a bigger ticket item, and of course shipping killled me because I offered free shipping, (note to self, dont do that anymore lol), and cost me $45 to mail, insured etc just for that one item...Then Paypal made me go thru verification, which I did, and now just waiting out the "up to" 21 day hold on my funds, Ugh! I briefly looked at Etsy, but I thought it was more selling of handmade things?? 

Message 12 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Schwartzinator wrote:
I’ve been using eBay for 9 years, have about 100 or so transactions and $32,000 in sales. Only one has gone south, and it was a hassle to win. The buyer even left positive feedback, yet claimed it wasn’t as described but I couldn’t prove delivery. Best advice I can give you is to document every detail of the item and keep records of every sale: pictures, communications, reciepts, and especially delivery confirmation emails. The post office will delete tracking information after 4 months, and buyers may try and take advantage of that blip to claim an unrecieved item.

Sweet 32k is a nice peice of the pie... Congrats! Smiley Wink

Message 13 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@gdale6 wrote:

Ya! thought the same always getting screwed from people telling you the package didn't arrive or some bleep story. Then doing charge backs and who knows whateva to get stuff for nearly free scam exist on both sides sellers and buyers.

Message 14 of 24
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@pizza1 wrote:

@gdale6 wrote:

My first week was actually pretty good, 4 items, sold within 2 days $1300+. One was a bigger ticket item, and of course shipping killled me because I offered free shipping, (note to self, dont do that anymore lol), and cost me $45 to mail, insured etc just for that one item...Then Paypal made me go thru verification, which I did, and now just waiting out the "up to" 21 day hold on my funds, Ugh! I briefly looked at Etsy, but I thought it was more selling of handmade things?? 

It sounds like you're on your way!  Smiley Happy

The Paypal verification/hold process will be over soon, and after that it will be much smoother. 

Years ago I tried my hand, and it was a positive experience.  I chose to sell inexpensive items, so that if there was a problem it would be easier to just give them credit and move along (although that never happened).  My only issue with a sell was when a buyer claimed he didn't receive the package; I had delivery confirmation (which was still relatively new) so I 'won'; I have no idea if eBay gave the buyer credit or not but in any case I kept my money. 

I hear ya on the shipping as well, that can be tricky to nail down.  I still recommend offering it for free, though - right or wrong, that seems to get more hits (I tried both ways). 

I 'built in' the shipping charge with the price, and for international orders I charged an extra $1 or $2, which seemed to go over well (again, my items were inexpensive/small). 

Message 15 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would steer clear of eBay and paypal. I have had horrible experiences with both. eBay always sides with the buyer, always. I had to file a dispute with Paypal as the seller sent an item that was defective. Paypal decided in the seller's favor just because the tracking number showed delivered. I had to file a dispute with Chase who just chargebacked the funds from Paypal, and Chase at least has reps you can understand. So they knew the idiocy of the denied claim with Paypal. NEVER again, nightmare! 

That said it does work out for some people. 

Message 16 of 24
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

I have heard of the nightmares of things like that happening, and I am on video at the post office for an hour in their lobby packaging up all the stuff, and I have receipts of course since I choose to send them via at person at USPS. I have several pictures, and Im a true skeptic by nature so I document everything!! LOL..
Message 17 of 24
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@pizza1 wrote:
I have heard of the nightmares of things like that happening, and I am on video at the post office for an hour in their lobby packaging up all the stuff, and I have receipts of course since I choose to send them via at person at USPS. I have several pictures, and Im a true skeptic by nature so I document everything!! LOL..

For every nightmare you hear about there are many, many transactions that go just fine.  If the overwhelming majority didn't turn out well eBay wouldn't have the business they have.  Smiley Happy

Good job with the CYA (I do that as well), but I suspect you'll be just fine.  Smiley Wink

Message 18 of 24
jlitnns
Established Contributor

I sell stuff off and on. I get to cleaning stuff and decide to sell or I find something to flip, like Kirkland Signature golf balls in 2017 were super hot for me and some Swarovski ornaments. The golf balls have gone cold since then but I've also sold household items. It really just depends on what it is and where you should sell it. I had a few clothing items that weren't worth much so I sold them locally on FB instead of ebay because the fees would really eat into the small profit/price tag. 

I think it's worth it depending on the product. You're on the right track.

Message 19 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've sold at least 592 items on E-bay over the past 10 years. Out of all of those, I can only recall 2 or 3 that I had real issues with the buyer, and E-bay actually sided with me on the ones that went to dispute because I had iron-clad pictures and details in my listing. The hold is not big deal if you use tracking.

Here is my advice:

Provide lots of good, in-focus pics showing the item, and any flaws on the item.

Provide an accurate, detailed description, including anything that might be damage, a flaw, anything they can complain about. 

Ship your items fast. Leads to good feedback.

Always use tracking!!! No matter the cost of the item.

Don't respond to people who want to take the transaction outside of E-bay.

I haven't sold in over a year, but I need to do some spring cleaning myself!

Good luck! Smiley Happy

Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.