Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Falling off the Sprint Ship

tag
atlastontheroad
Established Contributor

Falling off the Sprint Ship

Last night I walked into Sprint and gave them the opportunity to NOT lose a long time customer.  The rep didn't even make an effort to convince me to stay.  After 9 years with Sprint, I'm looking at AT&T and Verizon.  Two phones, family plan, low minutes (below 700 a month), heavy texting. 

I guess they don't want the little consumer any more.  Maybe it's a function of not wanting email/internet with a phone and not being willing to pony up an additional $30 a month for something for which I have neither a need nor a desire.

So, what new NON-MEDIA phones are you all using that you like?  You know, ones with keyboards but not PDAs?

atlast.....

Ficos 2/17/08: TU 551 EQ 534 EX 587
Ficos 2/12/09 TU 695 EQ 715 EX 715
Fico...4/15/10....drumroll.....EQ 743
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Re: Falling off the Sprint Ship

@atlastontheroad wrote:

So, what new NON-MEDIA phones are you all using that you like?  You know, ones with keyboards but not PDAs?

I use the AT&T treo reasonably succesfully.  Phone, email, texting

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 2 of 12
marty56
Super Contributor

If you do go with a new provider, you will probably get a hard INQ on your CR.  Not a reason to not do it but just wanted to warn you if you are worried about INQs.
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 3 of 12
atlastontheroad
Established Contributor

@marty56 wrote:
If you do go with a new provider, you will probably get a hard INQ on your CR.  Not a reason to not do it but just wanted to warn you if you are worried about INQs.

Thanks Marty, I'd totally forgotten about the inq.  I have a single inquiry on TU and EX, two on EQ.  I don't think that another one will have any really serious effect (other than the emp effect of taking me outta the 700's - oh well).

atlast....
Message Edited by atlastontheroad on 11-11-2008 10:49 AM
Message 4 of 12
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I'm with Verizon, and my own phone is an LG model. I've been very happy with it. I bought it on the contract plan almost two years ago, so I'm sure it's obsolete now. (Usually the phones offered on these plans are models that are on their way out.)

Happy with the CS, happy with the coverage, appalled at the fees. Can't have everything, I suppose.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 12
atlastontheroad
Established Contributor

We went to two Verizon stores, more than an hour wait at each to talk to a representative.  People in both places who were waiting were annoyed. 

So, we went to AT&T.  Twenty percent less for the same service, the store is walking distance from DD's school.  The people were terrific, didn't try and upsell me to a data plan and knew every customer who walked in either by name or by phone. 

Service, personal and by phone was a pleasure  by comparison to the other two biggies.  Since we never use all our minutes, the rollover feature will be nice.

DD and I always get the same phone, that way if someone neglects to bring the charger home from an overnight or a  trip there is a second charger. 

The new phones are Samsung Propel, new out last week.  Single slide qwerty keyboard and large screen are nice.  The downside: can't really use a carry case, but we usually don't use them.

I have had Samsungs for years and find them to withstand wear, tear and the occasional trip through the washing machine so I am happy. 

A year ago, I wouldn't have changed plans because of my wobbly credit.  Today was a breeze, not a single glitch.  What a difference!

atlast....

Message Edited by atlastontheroad on 11-11-2008 04:54 PM
Message 6 of 12
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Our local AT&T store is excellent.  Top notch, helpful, replace things for nothing (poor battery, Belt holster that split exposing the metal clip)
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 7 of 12
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Sprint bites. They recently lost a four year plus customer (Nextel) in me to US Cellular.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've been with Verizon for years. Very happy w/ it. We had service across the entire country on our trip from CA to GA, except for one dead spot in Toomsuba, MS. I think good customer service at ANY cell phone store is hit-or-miss, as they're usually staffed by high schoolers or freshmen from college, who are more concerned w/ their hair gel and cologne than they are giving good service.. but if you can get past the flaky floor reps and talk to a manager, you'll probably be happier.

My phone is the LG enV, in my favorite olive green, flips open to reveal a full qwerty keyboard. It does offer internet access, if you feel inclined to pay extra for it, I think like $10/mo.

Message 9 of 12
atlastontheroad
Established Contributor

Ok, the AT&T inquiry cost me (gasp) 15 points.  Way more than I expected, how long does the effect last?  One year, until it's no longer counted?

Sheesh. 

Climbing back into the 700's.  By mid-2009, I figured I should be in the 750's.

atlast....it's just a number, everything is fine.  Repeat mantra as needed.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.