Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finally Lost Points - An Unexpected Relief

tag
Trudy
Valued Contributor

Finally Lost Points - An Unexpected Relief

I've had 850's and some 900's for quite some time.  Applied for Amazon card while shopping one night (after happy hour Smiley Indifferent) and decided to apply for their card since I shop Amazon frequently and more so during these times.  Thought "why not get 5% back" as that option popped up EVERY TIME I logged in.

I shared this to say......My mouth has been preaching "what's the point of good scores if you can't use them".  But I think my mind wanted to hold on to those scores for some reason.?.  I really wasn't abstaining as I didn't need to apply for anything specific and not looking to stack up on cards.  But it was after taking that score hit that I felt some weird relief.  Like I'm free all of a sudden.  I may be on my way to recovery from this strange addiction Smiley Happy

I hope this doesn't come across as pompous as I know many are striving for better scores.  Trust me, it took time for me to get here.  But also, I know many are also dealing with the addictive nature of achieving these scores and maybe holding on to them.  Just thought I'd share because I was truly surprised at how relieved I felt.

FICO - 8: 05/05/23
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Finally Lost Points - An Unexpected Relief

Thanks for sharing your story @Trudy.

I, too, at one time felt similarly after achieving 850 on all 3.  I suppose I was holding onto them just to see how long I could maintain them at that level and then realized the same thing and came to the same conclusion (i.e. what's the point?).

So, the minute I took those scores out for a spin (a bit hesitant at first), it felt like the pressure was off and a great sense of relief.  I mean, YOLO!   Well, even today, despite the number of accounts and inquiries over the past several years, they still hover over 800 and I'm pretty content with it.

Message 2 of 8
Trudy
Valued Contributor

Thanks @FinStar for that response because I felt a little uncomfortable posting this, yet knew it was a change in thinking that may speak to some.  Maybe it's reaching the mountain top and not wanting to lose it, regardless of the logic or lack of behind it.  Who knows.

Yes, I think I'm finally free of that thought process..  Still no expected need for credit but less of a conscious concern to pull the trigger going forward.  A restart in mentality so to speak.

Message 3 of 8
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

I'm fairly certain we're not the only ones so I'm very glad you posted this.  At least it's out in the open for others to share similar thoughts.  

All I know is that I'm glad that change of mindset influenced my decision to be ok with it and let things be...for good 😁

Message 4 of 8
Trudy
Valued Contributor

2020-11-23_21-51-39.png

Message 5 of 8
MrT_521
Regular Contributor

I know what you mean. My FICOs were well above 800 for awhile, somewhere around the 820s or 830s, depending on the specific month's utilization. For the record, I do not manipulate utilization. I have every credit card set up with autopay to pay the statement balance on the due date, and I rarely intervene manually. I spend as I need, and I let autopay handle the payment.

I went on a mini app spree starting a year ago. From November 2019 to August 2020, I opened 6 new credit cards. My FICOs dropped to the 770s. The thing is, it doesn't bother me. I don't even care! We are expats now, so we won't be appying for a mortgage or auto loan until we return to the US sometime in the future.

Personal Cards

Business Cards

Debit Cards

FICO 8 Scores (as of Dec 14, 2022)

Message 6 of 8
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Finances over FICOs.....

It's a bit of a cliche, but if your spending on Amazon and not getting CB or points, your losing out.....

What is the point of having climbed Mt Everest if you cant enjoy the scenery.......

-J

Message 7 of 8
Trudy
Valued Contributor

@joltdude wrote:

Finances over FICOs.....

It's a bit of a cliche, but if your spending on Amazon and not getting CB or points, your losing out.....

What is the point of having climbed Mt Everest if you cant enjoy the scenery.......

-J

Yep.  Exactly my point @joltdude .  No reason to hold on to those scores for score sake at this point.  So I applied for the Amazon card for the 5% back considering my spend with them.  I'm thinking...win, win.  Unexpected win: Got over the need to just sit at the top of Mt Everest and... Expected win: I get 5% back.  Yay! Yay!

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.