Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Card, Best Card, Worst Card, Wish Card

tag
polaris2011
Contributor

Re: First Card, Best Card, Worst Card, Wish Card

Firstly, this is my first and only post, so let me say that I've learned so much from stalking these boards in 2017. I've been on my credit rebuild journey for exactly 1 year. In January, I got my first post-bankruptcy/foreclosure credit card and started cleaning my credit up. Twelve months later I have added 100+ points to my FICO scores and I can now qualify for good to great rates. Thanks to everyone here for sharing your experiences and knowledge. Know that what you do here can change lives!

First: AmEx (ages ago when I was young and had good credit the first time around Smiley Very Happy)

Best: USAA Preferred Cash Rewards Visa Signature (Approved yesterday!!!) and Capital One Quicksilver (upgraded from Platinum a week ago)

Worst: OpenSky (This was my first card post-bankruptcy that I got in 01/17 and I'm not upset with it because it's helped me get to where I am, but I will be closing very soon or not using at all) 

Wish: Another AmEx again, Amazon Prime, and a fantastic travel rewards card.  

I enjoyed this thread.

FICO 08 Scores (Starting; BK Discharged 4/15): EQ 647, TU 655, EX 638
FICO 08 Scores (Mar-18): EQ 757, TU 736, EX 746
Score Goal: 741
Current Cards: Cap1 QS: $1500 | USAA Preferred: $16000 | PayPal MasterCard: $7500 | Discover Miles: $12000 | AMEX ED: $12000 | AMEX Cash Magnet: $1000 | Citi Diamond Preferred: $3700
Cancelled Cards: OpenSky: $200
Message 51 of 134
Anonymous
Not applicable

First Card, Secured Citi Diamond, Straightforward 24% APR And $200 Limit, Glad to have a Secured Card with Citi since my checking account is with them and my payments get deducted and is available in credit immediately

Best card, Cap1 QS1, Just got approved and haven't even got the card yet, $300 Limit but one of the few cards I have that will actually grow with me and won't charge me BS Fees

Speaking of BS Fees, Worst card is easily the Total Visa Card. $79.99 Processing fee just to activate the card and right when you activate your $300 limit goes to $225 for their AF. Will be closing this 29% APR monster before next years AF Charge 

Wish: Citi DC or any AMEX/Discover product

Message 52 of 134
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ohhh I wanna play

First Card: Secured Capital One, MC Graduated in August and closed in October

Best Card(s): AMEX BCE I really like the straight forward cashback bonus, not the best, but still one that fits my spending the most

Discover IT , another simplified cash back earning card, only had it for 9 mos. so I'm not sure if it would still be as       competitive once the Cashback Match is over

Worst Card: My first card was my WORST card,  which is the reason I had to part with it. Simply because it wouldn't grow and had a high APR 

Wish list: A really good Travel card VISA Signature, Perhaps the BOA Premium Rewards or the Chase Sapphire Preferred

Message 53 of 134
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hm...I have to think back for this one:

First Card

HSBC Mastercard prior to them becoming Cap1. I no longer hold this one due to chargeoff way way back. For my rebirth in to adulthood though my first card was my DiscoverIT student. Still have it!

Best Card

Amex BCP for me personally. It's my every day card.

Worst Card

I honestly don't have one at this point, I've probably gotten rid of them all. 

Wish Card

Again I don't have one right now. I'm good with everything I have!

Message 54 of 134
GeorgiaBulldog
Regular Contributor

First card:  Gap store card.  Got it while one of my roommates worked at Gap--used it once, never again. 

First CC that can be used anywhere:  BofA Cash Rewards

Best card:  Probably AMEX Blue Business Plus... BofA BBR is close though for the sheer return for not much spend/work.

Worst card:  Target REDCard.  5% off is nice but has only grown to a $500 limit after nearly 10 years.

Wish card:  CSR (Darn you, 5/24)

Favorite cards: AMEX Morgan Stanley Platinum | BofA Alaska | Chase Hyatt | Citi AA Executive | FNBO Amtrak
Message 55 of 134
shoegal
Valued Contributor

I had fun reading this one! Here's mine.

First Card: This was around 2002, so my memory is foggy so either an Old Navy store card or a Citi Sears Card.

Worst Card: Not a single one at the moment.

Best Cards: PayPal 2%, Discover, and Amex ED, BCE, and Plat. Honestly, I like all of my cards. lol

Wish Cards: Amex BBP and the new Uber card.

Message 56 of 134
clumsymoon
Valued Member

First: JCPenney store card. I was working there at the time and they approved me for $1000 right off the bat. I still have it.

Best Card:  All of my cards have too-high interest rates right now but I am most pleased with my Discover It card. They've given me multiple CLI and have a lot of cash back offers + free FICO score.

Worst Card:  The worst one I ever had was an American Eagle card. I had the card for around three years and they never increased my credit limit....which was only $150! I closed it about a decade ago. Currently, my worst card is Car Care One - I got it to help with emergency car repairs before I realized the 29.99% interest rate. I've also had a horrid time with their customer service because they claimed they sent me a new card twice and I still haven't received it a year later. Closing it as soon as I pay down the balance.

Wish Card: I'm hoping for the Chase Slate and/or Citi Simplicity at some point.

Starting Score: 641
Current Score: 680
Goal Score: 730

Message 57 of 134
Anonymous
Not applicable

First- Premier Bank Gold was in college

Best- CSR

Worst- Premier Bank Gold

Wish- Amex SPG

Message 58 of 134
the_jan_b
Established Contributor

@Adkins wrote:

First - Montgomery Wards, department store 1997. I don't think they exist anymore

Best - Discover It or Blispay, for different reasons

Worse - Synchrony Discount Tire Card, can't get a CLI (**bleep** FINGERHUT gave me a CLI for crying out loud!)

Wish list - Chase Freedom, for the rotating categories

Riding my Unicorn - CSP, as I don't travel enough to warrant the CSR

Actually, they still exist; but only online.  I've had an account with them since 2004.  Smiley Happy

Enjoying your freedom? Thank a servicemember and their family!

In the garden since 26 Jun 14...

I am digitaldiva's alter-ego

Message 59 of 134
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

@the_jan_b wrote:

@Adkins wrote:

First - Montgomery Wards, department store 1997. I don't think they exist anymore

Best - Discover It or Blispay, for different reasons

Worse - Synchrony Discount Tire Card, can't get a CLI (**bleep** FINGERHUT gave me a CLI for crying out loud!)

Wish list - Chase Freedom, for the rotating categories

Riding my Unicorn - CSP, as I don't travel enough to warrant the CSR

Actually, they still exist; but only online.  I've had an account with them since 2004.  Smiley Happy

Whoa, I had no idea about that! Thanks! 😀

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 60 of 134
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.