Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Card, Best Card, Worst Card, Wish Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: First Card, Best Card, Worst Card, Wish Card

1) First Card: Banana Republic (closed many years ago), but the card that revived my credit history after a long hiatus was a secured WF Visa. 
2) Best Card: Vantage West Credit Union Connect Rewards Visa Signature (5% year round on restaurants with no AF, yes please!)

3) Worst Card: Wells Fargo Rewards Platinum Visa (1% rewards on all purchases, PCed from the secured card. Only a $2900 limit). Runner up is the "Commence Mastercard" (*shudders*) which was a forced conversion from what was once my favorite credit card -- the Sallie Mae Mastercard (RIP Sallie - never forget!)

4) Wish Card: I really have most of the cards that I'd want, but I will say, I will definitely jump on Chase Sapphire Reserve if they bring the 100K point offer back.

Message 71 of 134
Anonymous
Not applicable

First card: Citi Forward, got it in 2012
Best card: Citi Forward (back in the days, had 5x ThankYou points on dining, certain entertainment categories and bookstore-including Amazon.com)
Worst card: Citi Forward (after mid-2016 nerfed the rewards and basically got sockdrawered; will be automatically switched to Citi ThankYou Preferred in two weeks but it will basically stay in the SD since I've got other cards)

Best card currently have: would probably by Chase Sapphire Reserve, newly opened this month

Wish card: not really sure, the Amex Platinum's benefits look pretty good but don't think getting another 5k spend at this time, especially when there's CSR spending requirements. Annual fee is a bit too high.
Message 72 of 134
jetsfan2013
Frequent Contributor

First card: Cap One Platinum (1st CC post Ch 7, 300 limit 2012)
Best card: Amex BCE 
Worst card: Walmart Store Card - no growth at all, last rebuilder I haven't closed

Road to rebuilding starts soon
Message 73 of 134
Billharrell
Regular Contributor

First: Capital One card in the college dining hall, app'd for the free t-shirt, $450 SL. Blew it up I two months. Fast forward 20 years before I got my next CC.

Best: Amex BCE/PRG. I love them both.

Worst: Credit One Platinum with $450 CL. Still in my first year with it. Closing it up in a couple months before the AF's start up again.

Wish: Citi DC or any other 2% card without AF would round out my wallet. Really just hoping for any five digit CL in the next year. I max out at $2000 right now.

Merry Xmas!

2/18 FICO 8's:
EX(692): 3.1yrs, 8 inq.
TU(654): 0.3yrs, 3 inq.
EQ(683): 3.1yrs, 3 inq.
Utilization: 50%

Wall of Shame (recent denials/wish list):

Message 74 of 134
Anonymous
Not applicable

The first: Care Credit but as far as major credit cards go that would be Credit One

The best: This is a tossup. I'd almost be inclined to just say Discover, simply bc they started me at a 15k CL, they have great customer service, good perks, cashback deals that get even better when redeemed for gift cards, and card always functions as a 4.99% card.... if it weren't for all of these, I'd say Amex or BOA.

The worst: Capital one.  Taken 3 yrs to get to 11k, started at 1k, have APR higher than a friend with sub 600 scores (26.xx%)

The dream: Amex Zync w/ Packs, Citi Fwd b4 its benefits were slashed to pair w/ Prestige. Or FNBO 1.5% cashback single digit amex that @galahad15 and a few others have.

To the OP @TheCreditGame you could benefit from a credit union like NFCU. 

Message 75 of 134
ngoaa
New Contributor

First Card: Discover It. Obtained during college a few years back. 

Best Card: Discover It. Very good quarterly calendar + Discover deals + high CL. 

Worst Card: Either my Chase Freedom/Sapphire because of stingy CL or Schoolsfirst Credit Union (no rewards, though also low APR)

Wish Card: Red American Express

Message 76 of 134
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@simplynoir wrote:

Back when it was first released it was uncapped rewards but due to a lot of "questionable" purchases like GC abuse they released the current cap of $6k in 2012-2013 I think.

Late response from me, but yes.

A number of issuers initially released cards without caps, and for anything that offers rewards on places that sell gift cards (e.g. supermarkets, drug stores, some home improvement stores) or is easy to rack up high charges (airfare) this is a mistake!   Once the issuer get's sufficiently "abused" (as they call it, but they made the conditions) they add caps, change categories or generally nerfed.

The way Amex capped the BCP was surprisingly generous, they gave up to a year's notice (cap came into effect on your anniversary date), so there was a least one person who put several hundred thousand on it in that year.   When the OBC came too much, they just shut down the cards of high spenders without notice, as well as added the cap on the anniversary date, so people were a little more cautious.

I suspect, without any evidence, that the Barclays Uber 4% on dining is another mistake, although much less open to MS attack.   Still a little too generous for a no-AF card.

ETA:  I should add that my comment on Uber doesn't mean you shouldn't get it, really quite the contrary, unless you are only in to keeper cards.   The ones that did well with the uncapped cards were those that went in early.    Those that waited lost the opportunity, as the cards were nerfed.

Message 77 of 134
Anonymous
Not applicable

First: Chase Freedom Unlimited (now Freedom)

Best: American Express Premier Rewards Gold

Worst: Capital One Quicksilver

Wish: Chase Sapphire Reserve

Message 78 of 134
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

The first: Care Credit but as far as major credit cards go that would be Credit One

The best: This is a tossup. I'd almost be inclined to just say Discover, simply bc they started me at a 15k CL, they have great customer service, good perks, cashback deals that get even better when redeemed for gift cards, and card always functions as a 4.99% card.... if it weren't for all of these, I'd say Amex or BOA.

The worst: Capital one.  Taken 3 yrs to get to 11k, started at 1k, have APR higher than a friend with sub 600 scores (26.xx%)

@Anonymous dream: Amex Zync w/ Packs, Citi Fwd b4 its benefits were slashed to pair w/ Prestige. Or FNBO 1.5% cashback single digit amex that @galahad15 and a few others have.

@Anonymous the OP @Anonymous you could benefit from a credit union like NFCU. 

I am not a veteran.

Message 79 of 134
Anonymous
Not applicable

First card: $500 SL on the rewards card from my undergraduate university's CU. First door into credit, relatively low APR.

Best card: This is a toughy. My go-to portfolio these days is: Citi DC (my second credit card ever, now $8500 SL after 1 HP and several SP; miscellaneous purchases), Barclays Uber card ($11k, largest limit so far; dining/travel), and Amazon Prime Rewards Visa ($7k; Amazon). I love them all.

Worst card: Hard to say. I don't really have any duds. If I had to pick one, I'd say my CareCredit, which I only got in lieu of dental insurance (#impoor) and have yet to use. Don't get me wrong, my BOA Travel Rewards and BBR are boring af (not annual fee) now, but the TR used to see regular use pre-Uber Card and the BBR does see regular automated use so I can get the $25 benefit; don't wanna ding them for being boring.

Wish card: I hope to one day be successful and traveling enough to justify dropping the AF on a Chase Sapphire Reserve.

I try to keep a relatively slim profile, with every card I have having or having had pre-deprecation due to another card its dedicated purpose.

Message 80 of 134
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.