First Card, Best Card, Worst Card, Wish Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: First Card, Best Card, Worst Card, Wish Card

@Adkins wrote:

@the_jan_b wrote:

@Adkins wrote:

First - Montgomery Wards, department store 1997. I don't think they exist anymore

Best - Discover It or Blispay, for different reasons

Worse - Synchrony Discount Tire Card, can't get a CLI (**bleep** FINGERHUT gave me a CLI for crying out loud!)

Wish list - Chase Freedom, for the rotating categories

Riding my Unicorn - CSP, as I don't travel enough to warrant the CSR

Actually, they still exist; but only online.  I've had an account with them since 2004.  Smiley Happy

Whoa, I had no idea about that! Thanks! 😀

Okay, so I am going to be that guy (know-it-all) but technically, the real Montogmery Ward filed bankruptcy in 2001 and officially went out of business. In 2004 a strange catalog company based in Iowa purchased the Montgomery Ward name and a version of the 1980s Montgomery Ward logo to be reused on an online and catalog business. The real Montomgery Ward that went out of business in 2001 and the revived online/catalog version share only the name and are not the same company.

Message 61 of 134
Anonymous
Not applicable

First Card: Best Buy Visa $750 SL 02/16. Limit hasn't budged since.

Best Card: Toss up btw ClearPoints Visa because of the SL of $5,000 & my Cap 1 QS because it earns rewards. I like my Target store card better than both of them though. Lol

Worst Card: First Premier, for lots of obvious reasons.

Wish Card: I just want to get in the door with Chase anywhere! Lol.

Message 62 of 134
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Monkey WardsSmiley Happy, good memories as a kid going to eat with my grandpaSmiley Happy
Message 63 of 134
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Monkey WardsSmiley Happy, good memories as a kid going to eat with my grandpaSmiley Happy

LOL I didn't realize they had restaurants...none of the ones in Denver had that. We did have a Woolworth's at Villa Italia Mall in Lakewood that had the restaurant. Oh lord am I old! 

Message 64 of 134
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Dang absolutely my bad haha, old doesnt begin to describe me right now lol. You are right it was Woolworths, i guess i just remember hearing Montgomery Wards Monkey Wards, maybe from GrandpaSmiley Wink
Message 65 of 134
celluloid17
Established Contributor

First Card: Capital One (opened 1998 - closed in the mid-'00s)

Best Card: Bank of the West Cash Back Mastercard (current)/Salle Mae World Mastercard (defunct)

Worst Card: Best Buy and Gap store cards (both closed)

Wish Card: possibly the Amazon Prime Visa card, although I don't want to apply for anymore credit  

Message 66 of 134
clumsymoon
Valued Member

@Adkins wrote:
@the_jan_b wrote:
@Adkins wrote:

First - Montgomery Wards, department store 1997. I don't think they exist anymore

Best - Discover It or Blispay, for different reasons

Worse - Synchrony Discount Tire Card, can't get a CLI (**bleep** FINGERHUT gave me a CLI for crying out loud!)

Wish list - Chase Freedom, for the rotating categories

Riding my Unicorn - CSP, as I don't travel enough to warrant the CSR

Actually, they still exist; but only online.  I've had an account with them since 2004.  Smiley Happy

Whoa, I had no idea about that! Thanks! 😀

Okay, so I am going to be that guy (know-it-all) but technically, the real Montogmery Ward filed bankruptcy in 2001 and officially went out of business. In 2004 a strange catalog company based in Iowa purchased the Montgomery Ward name and a version of the 1980s Montgomery Ward logo to be reused on an online and catalog business. The real Montomgery Ward that went out of business in 2001 and the revived online/catalog version share only the name and are not the same company.

Wow, and it looks like they claim to be the same company that started in 1872 on their website! That's shady!

Starting Score: 641
Current Score: 680
Goal Score: 730

Message 67 of 134
MASTERNC
Frequent Contributor

First Card: USAA MasterCard.  They had a "College Start" program where you started with a low limit and then increased it each year of school.  I was able to convert to a basic rewards card later on.

Worst Card: National City (now PNC) CashBuilder.  This was my second card that I got when Wal-Mart decided to temporarily stop taking Debit MasterCard.  USAA had 0.5% cash back on its debit card back then, and CashBuilder matched that rate.  Let's just say it's my least rewarding credit card now.

Best Card: Citi Hilton Honors Reserve.  Between the free breakfasts and weekend night certificates (the latest one I used at a $700/night NYC hotel during the holiday season), I have made back more than the AFs I have paid.

Wish Card: AMEX Platinum.  I have CSR and I don't use Uber regularly enough to use the monthly credits.  That said, I want to see where all the Hilton and SPG programs land since the card provides Gold status for both.

Message 68 of 134
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

@MASTERNC wrote:

First Card: USAA MasterCard.  They had a "College Start" program where you started with a low limit and then increased it each year of school.  I was able to convert to a basic rewards card later on.

Worst Card: National City (now PNC) CashBuilder.  This was my second card that I got when Wal-Mart decided to temporarily stop taking Debit MasterCard.  USAA had 0.5% cash back on its debit card back then, and CashBuilder matched that rate.  Let's just say it's my least rewarding credit card now.

Best Card: Citi Hilton Honors Reserve.  Between the free breakfasts and weekend night certificates (the latest one I used at a $700/night NYC hotel during the holiday season), I have made back more than the AFs I have paid.

Wish Card: AMEX Platinum.  I have CSR and I don't use Uber regularly enough to use the monthly credits.  That said, I want to see where all the Hilton and SPG programs land since the card provides Gold status for both.

Do you have UberEats in your city? I've read that you can use the Uber credits on them instead.

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 69 of 134
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Adkins wrote:

@MASTERNC wrote:

Do you have UberEats in your city? I've read that you can use the Uber credits on them instead.

The credits do work for UberEats.

However, unless you'd be ordering food through UberEats anyway, you should perhaps discount the value of $15/$35 a bit to account for a delivery fee and occasionally higher prices (or giving up discounts/extras you might get ordering directly from the restaurant).

And, of course, consider the cost of the food and tip if you'd otherwise be cooking or picking something up yourself.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 70 of 134
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.