cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First time in First Class - what to expect?

tag
Batsamandrobin
Regular Contributor

First time in First Class - what to expect?

In a few weeks I’ll be flying in First from DTW to San Diego on Delta. It’s my first time flying up front, so I’m just looking for general experiences from those in this forum who’ve flown in First before, especially with Delta?

I know the domestic product pales in comparison to anything in business/first for international, with the exception of a few transcon flights (which this is obviously not), so not expecting anything crazy. Still excited for a little extra legroom!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: First time in First Class - what to expect?

Expect to sleep soundly, which is what I always do on these flights. You'll get to enjoy a pre-flight drink too, which in my case helps with the sleeping part. LOL. Overall, a more comfortable and spacious area is what you're paying for, plus a few added stuff like blanket, pillow and a screen where you can watch stuff.

Message 2 of 8
iced
Valued Contributor

@Batsamandrobin wrote:
In a few weeks I’ll be flying in First from DTW to San Diego on Delta. It’s my first time flying up front, so I’m just looking for general experiences from those in this forum who’ve flown in First before, especially with Delta?

I know the domestic product pales in comparison to anything in business/first for international, with the exception of a few transcon flights (which this is obviously not), so not expecting anything crazy. Still excited for a little extra legroom!

Domestic FC isn't much different than Economy, though you'll have more room (especially elbow space - the armrests are wider) and a meal. On DL, expect an email about 3-4 days before the flight telling you about the meal choices you can select from. If you don't specify one in advance, you'll still get a meal on the flight, but you might not get your first choice if they run out.

As you noted, only if you're lucky will you be on a 767 or one of the special 757s that have lie-flats for domestic routes. It's very unlikely on a DTW-SAN flight, and you probably would have noticed different seats at booking if so, but there's that slim slim chance nonetheless.

You'll board in PREM, but all FC passengers do and some can be jerks about overhead bin space, so while you should be safe on bin space, don't be surprised if the business douchenozzle in the seat across from you throws his rollaboard, laptop case, and something else up there to hog space.

Other than that, it's about the same as Y.

Message 3 of 8
tacpoly
Established Contributor

If you can picture what economy was like 15 years ago, that's pretty much what first class is today (which is why I always fly first or business class nowadays).  The one real advantage with first class is access to a lounge before your flight.   

Message 4 of 8
iced
Valued Contributor

@tacpoly wrote:

If you can picture what economy was like 15 years ago, that's pretty much what first class is today (which is why I always fly first or business class nowadays).  The one real advantage with first class is access to a lounge before your flight.   

You don't get SkyClub access with domestic FC on DL. If you want in the SkyClub on a domestic ticket, you need a membership, an American Express Platinum/Delta Reserve card, or you need to pay for it.

Message 5 of 8
tacpoly
Established Contributor

@iced wrote:

@tacpoly wrote:

You don't get SkyClub access with domestic FC on DL. If you want in the SkyClub on a domestic ticket, you need a membership, an American Express Platinum/Delta Reserve card, or you need to pay for it.

Really?  I’ve not had any issue with lounge access with just my first class boarding pass being scanned by the attendants (3x this year). Maybe the lounge folks were in a good mood when I passed through. 

Message 6 of 8
iced
Valued Contributor

The only domestic flights that get it are the premium Delta One tcon/Hawaii flights. If it books into FC and not Delta One, no lounge.

If they allowed anyone with FC in, the already bad crowding would be untenable. I could upgrade a 45 minute leg for $60 and get in if so - that would be highly abused.
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

You’re not going to feel or notice much....yet. A little more comfort, flight attendants are nicer to you. You don’t feel exhausted when the flight ends. Just a few little things. The shock will come when you take your next coach flight. You are going to want to scream “I can’t live like this!!! Ahhhhh!!!” 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.