Did you mean: 

Flying on 737's

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Flying on 737's

It seems as reported in Bloomberg that:

Boeing 737s Undergo Review for Wing Parts Prone to Cracking

By Alan Levin and Mary Schlangenstein on June 2, 2019, 3:25 PM CDT Updated on June 3, 2019, 3:31 PM CDT

Airlines have begun inspecting 312 of Boeing Co's 737 family of aircraft, including some of the grounded 737 Max, because they have wing components that are prone to cracking. The parts must be replaced within 10 days, U.S. regulators said.

Boeing informed the Federal Aviation Administration that so-called leading-edge slat tracks may not have been properly manufactured and pose a safety risk, the agency said in an emailed statement Sunday. The parts allow the wing to expand to create more lift during takeoff and landing. U.S. carriers reported few aircraft covered by the warning Monday and said flight schedules wouldn’t be affected.

While less critical than the global grounding of its 737 Max since March, Boeing’s latest production issue adds another headache for a management team trying control the fallout from two deadly crashes and get the U.S. manufacturer’s top-selling plane flying again. The head of the Internationa Transport Association warned airline CEOs at the industry’s annual gathering this past weekend that the plane-approval process is damaged and the industry is under scrutiny.

The FAA plans to issue an order calling for operators of 737 planes worldwide to identify whether the deficient parts were installed and, if found, to replace them. A complete failure wouldn’t lead to a loss of the aircraft, the FAA said, but could cause damage during flight.

Boeing has notified operators of the planes about the needed repairs and is sending replacement parts to help minimize the time aircraft are out of service, the company said in a statement. The slat tracks in question were made by a supplier to Spirit AeroSystems Holdings Inc., Boeing said in an email.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Flying on 737's

I quit flying commercially over 20 years ago. If I cant reach it by car or ship I dont go.
Message 2 of 7
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous Thank you for reinforcing my phobia Smiley LOL

Message 3 of 7
iced
Valued Contributor

Flying is still the safest form of transportation, even with the 737 mishaps. I think a lot of the fear with flying is that there's basically 0 chance at surviving any crash, whereas with other forms of transportation there's at least the possibility of walking away. At least with flying, someone's regularly auditing the drivers to make sure there's at least some level of competence. I regularly encounter cyclists and drivers (mostly as a pedestrian) who repeatedly try to prove that literacy, attentiveness, and respect for other life are apparently difficult skills to attain.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

^This^
Not to mention motor vehicles also deal with their own set of mechanical and design issues... things like exploding airbags, stuck gas pedals. I for one never underestimate human stupidity, our highways are a perfect example.
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@iced "I regularly encounter cyclists and drivers (mostly as a pedestrian) who repeatedly try to prove that literacy, attentiveness, and respect for other life are apparently difficult skills to attain" ... that sums it up!
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

If a recall only hit 31,200 cars, that would be nothing. That's an approximate equivalence based on the number of seats. You can't get the same views from a car!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.