Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For those who know about computer monitors

tag
red259
Super Contributor

For those who know about computer monitors

I want to buy a new computer monitor using my Dell credit via amex. I have a PC with a Nvidia GTX 970 graphics card. I use my computer for gaming. I found an alienware monitor that I am interested in getting and that is well reviewed. The monitor comes with Freesync and Gsync. Gsync which works with nvidia is approx $120 more expensive than the freesync. I do not think my graphics card is powerful enough to use gsync and freesync is for AMD cards. My question is should I bother spending the extra money and getting the gsync now for the future when I probably will end up buying a higher end nvidia card? I don't have any immediate plans to buy a new graphics card, so I am hesitant to throw the extra money away on a gsync that will raise the cost from like $380 to around $500. By the same token I tend to keep monitors for years and years. At the current time the Nvidia cards seem to be better than the AMD cards but I don't know how that may change in the future or if at some point in the next two years or so technology will improve to the point where 4k monitors are the new standard and I will need to update the monitor again. Looking for any feedback if its worth the cost or if I should just go with the freesync  to save money.  

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: For those who know about computer monitors

When it comes to computers (actually, most technology) it’s my belief that, unless buying used, buy as close to the top end as possible. Otherwise, when you do upgrade the GPU you will need to upgrade the monitor, too.

You will always have a piece of hardware that will bottleneck the rest of your set up. Better one than two, imo.
Message 2 of 14
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
When it comes to computers (actually, most technology) it’s my belief that, unless buying used, buy as close to the top end as possible. Otherwise, when you do upgrade the GPU you will need to upgrade the monitor, too.

You will always have a piece of hardware that will bottleneck the rest of your set up. Better one than two, imo.

I understand that logic but realistically I think technology is making a jump and right now the costs of a 4k monitors and the cards that can run them seem too high. I'm wondering if I should not spend the extra money on a gsync if I will need to replace the monitor in a year or two with a 4k monitor once I buy an upgraded graphics card. Now if 4k gaming is still a few years away from being mainstream and cost effective then the itnermediate step of a gsync enabled monitor would make more sense. I just don't know how quickly things are moving on the gaming front. 

;
Message 3 of 14
wasCB14
Super Contributor

I don't know if this is relevant or not, but...

I have a 2017 non-4k desktop Dell tower. I recently purchased a Dell U3818DW monitor (4k).

It integrates smoothly with my older tower and Radeon RX 480 card. When I eventually get a new computer, I expect to buy a new tower but keep the monitor.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I guess the question would be: when gaming makes that jump, do you see yourself in a financial position to upgrade both? I don’t see the prices coming down any time soon, especially since a lot of gamers are starting to use their 4K TVs in monitor mode instead.

If not, I’d get the G-Sync. I’d personally take the smoother frame rates and motion blur over the increased resolution.
Message 5 of 14
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I guess the question would be: when gaming makes that jump, do you see yourself in a financial position to upgrade both? I don’t see the prices coming down any time soon, especially since a lot of gamers are starting to use their 4K TVs in monitor mode instead.

If not, I’d get the G-Sync. I’d personally take the smoother frame rates and motion blur over the increased resolution.

Yea I ended up pulling the trigger on the gsync version of the monitor. I checked and according to nvidia my card will work with gsync just not necessarily on maxed out graphics. My current monitor is like 10 years old so it was time for an upgrade. 

;
Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nice man! I run a 970, too. I use an average 1080 LG monitor with a high refresh rate. I don’t game as much I used to, so usually if I have time I end up just playing on the PS4.
Message 7 of 14
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Nice man! I run a 970, too. I use an average 1080 LG monitor with a high refresh rate. I don’t game as much I used to, so usually if I have time I end up just playing on the PS4.

Yea I picked up a ps4 slim like two years ago and I really loved the exclusive games. I had no idea what I was missing out not having a ps4 console. I recently picked up a 4k tv so I wish I had bought the ps4 pro but now I think I will just wait and buy the ps5 when its released. 

;
Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, I got a 4K tv on Black Friday. DW took my original PS4 and traded it in at GameStop and got me a pro in exchange. I think she got like $140 for it. Paid the difference. I love it. Not worth it if the PS5 comes out this year but I won’t mind it if it doesn’t come out until Q4 2020
Message 9 of 14
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Yeah, I got a 4K tv on Black Friday. DW took my original PS4 and traded it in at GameStop and got me a pro in exchange. I think she got like $140 for it. Paid the difference. I love it. Not worth it if the PS5 comes out this year but I won’t mind it if it doesn’t come out until Q4 2020

yes I think 2020 is probably the most likely. I feel like Sony could have put it out now if they really wanted to but they are milking the ps4 pro sales. A lot is going to be dictated by by what xbox does. Sony is not going to want a new generation of xbox on the market while their still selling their old product line so the earliest possible would be Q4 in 2019 and I think the latest would be in 2021. In the end I think xbox is the one to watch and if they are getting close with a release In anticipate Sony moving.

;
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.