Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Funny Collection or Telemarketer Stories

tag
sl
Established Contributor

Re: Funny Collection or Telemarketer Stories

Many years ago when hubby was in the military we got a telemarketing call from some organization asking for contributions to some not-for-profit organization.  I explained that we give through work and to organizations we feel do the community the best service.  The person said, well can't you just give us $25.00 to help out.  I said if I gave every organization money that called me, I woud be one of the people they were collecting for.  I guess I caught him off guard has he just hung up.

Message Edited by sl on 08-31-2007 02:36 PM
Message 31 of 57
Pants
Regular Contributor

Any ideas what to do if you have a Kirby Vacuum Cleaner salesmen at your door??

I thought it was a friend of mine who drove a white van. They offered me a Tide Cleaning Stick and asked if I can give them a few minutes of time.. I didn't think anything of it.. I thought OK... Turned out the few minutes was over 90 minutes.

They took over my house.. Vacuumed a patches of my carpet.. showed me a demonstration of how much dirt it picked up.. Left the dirt collectors sitting all over my living room.

They would not take NO for an answer.. After they drove away.. They were back five minutes later offering me a better deal.

I think the next time they show up, I'll show them the bad reviews on the internet. And the complaints on the Better Business Bureau. LOL
Message 32 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

A car salesman is giving a customer the hard sell.... "If you buy the car today, you won't make any payments until next year."

Customer.... "I've never bought a car here before, how did you know that?"

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Collector on phone: "If you don't pay this debt, we will just keep calling to remind you."

Collectee: "I don't think you will. You see, I haven't been paying my phone bill either."

------------------------------------------------------------------

And last, a personal anecdote....

Years ago, when I was working midnights, I come home exhausted and get a call (one of many for weeks) from a Sears collector. Wife is half asleep in the room as I take the call.

Collector: "We didn't receive the payment you promised to send."

Me (honestly): "I made no promise." 

Collector: "If we don't get your payment in ten days we will
Message 33 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

Heh. Unable to edit above post. Continuing....

Collector: "If we don't receive your payment withing ten days we will get a warrant for your arrest."

Me: "Eat my &$$@%&#."  <click>

Wife: "Who was that?

(BTW. there were no more calls from Sears.)
Message 34 of 57
cadavis0609
Frequent Contributor

I would report them to the FTC for making threats about something like that. Thats illegal.
Sept 07 EQ 419

April 2012 EQ- 669 EXP- 680 TU-700= Proud New Homeowner!
Message 35 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

My SIL would take advantage of them.  She would listen to the speal.  Then she would convince him to leave the vac, with all attachments and rug cleaning stuff, ( so, she could show my brother,.)  Then they would come back the next day, and give it back and told him that her hubby said no.,  (All the while she cleaned her house like a mad woman)
Message 36 of 57
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

One of my favorite websites to visit for a good laugh is www.419eater.com. This site is a little off topic but it talks about 419 Scams (internet junk mail saying you won the international lottery or "I need to send you a fake check so I can have your banking info"). The bast link to click is Letters Archive.

I apply some of the things in there to telemarketers that call the office after telling them over and over to stop calling.
Message 37 of 57
Jesedmotherof5
Established Contributor

This is the funniest thread Ive ever read! Im going to try some instead of ignoring the phone when I dont recognize the number!
6/9/08 FICO TU 697 EX698 EQ 618uti 6% (once new accounts hit) BIZ- DUNS 80, EX 35
GOAL 2008- 700s+ new car
2010 BE a first time buyer
Message 38 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

If I can tell it is a collector calling by the caller ID, I usually answer the phone and say "Thank you for calling Pizza Hut, will this be for delivery, Dine in, or Carry out?"  They usually hang up, sometimes, never call back, but after hearing that a couple times, they probably take your number out of their system.
Message 39 of 57
aftermath
Established Contributor

A few years ago when I was financial irresponsible (in college) I ran up some debt on a credit card and was unable to pay it off resulting in it going into Charge Off status.

A few months down the line a ruthless collection agency called me and demanded payment for the unpaid balance...

CA: PAY US OUR MONEY!
ME: NO!
CA: PAY US OR WE WILL CONTINUE TO CALL YOU DAY AND NIGHT!
ME: You aren't legally allowed to do that.
CA: YES I AM!
ME: The Fair Credit law states that you must cease communication if I advise you to.
CA: THAT IS WRONG! YOU DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CREDIT LAWS!
ME: My credit repair attorney advised me of this law.
CA: YOUR ATTORNEY IS STUPID! HE IS WRONG! DONT BELIEVE ANYTHING HE SAYS!
ME: My father is my credit attorney.
CA: (click!)

Message Edited by aftermath on 05-21-2008 05:03 PM
American Express Blue Cash Everyday $6600
Barclays US Airways Premier World Mastercard $14500
Chase Sapphire Preferred $5000
Chase Freedom Visa $1000
Chase United Explorer $8500
Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select Visa Signature $7500
Citi ThankYou Premier World Mastercard $7500
Message 40 of 57
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.