Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GM OnStar Services

tag
bigseegar
Established Contributor

GM OnStar Services

Anyone here with a GM product subscribe to their OnStar service and if so which level and is it worth the cost? I know with today's cellphones they do a lot but I kind of like the thought of being able to use my phone to unlock and start my vehicle. Just not sure it's a very wise financial investment lol.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: GM OnStar Services

I have it. Not sure which plan, but I pay I believe around $40/month which includes OnStar services along with remote access via the app.

Is it worth it? Ehhh it is nice as you said being able to remote start, lock/unlock my truck, and track its location via the app, and I do use those features fairly often, but I don't know that they're worth $40 monthly. lol. I wish they were more like $15 or so. I know there's a lot more I can do with my plan, but I just don't utilize the majority of the features.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 2 of 3
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: GM OnStar Services

I have the Essentials package, but I held out at renewal time and they contacted me with a retention offer that discounted the yearly plan and added a promotional bonus of some free months to sweeten the pot to net at about $17/month.  I already had a postpaid AT&T account when I got the truck so I activated the onboard wifi device with them directly with their standard mobile unlimited data plan. Onstar properly recognizes that the device is active via an AT&T plan.

I did not need the onboard navigation option that is bundled with Premium or Connected Vehicle as iPhone + CarPlay + Bluetooth + Waze works perfectly for those times that I need directions, I'm sure that an Android with Andriod Auto would also work well.

Without getting into details the remote start option for me is handy.

Bottom line is that could absolutely do without having it but I do like it.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.