Did you mean: 

Ghosts

tag
iced
Valued Contributor

Re: Ghosts

@Remedios wrote:
No, it cannot be explained that way.
Equations used in an attempt to reach some kind of understanding simply prohibit multiverse, bubble universes, and "parallel universes" ever coming in contact as we understand it.
You're talking about sci fi concepts.
In physics, parallel universe is merely reflection of all the possibilities, not some overlay where we shadow through each other.
Of course, the presence or absence cannot be proved or disapproved at this time, but same can be said for fairies, unicorns, UFOs etc.
It's a wishful, comforting thinking for some.
My faith in science tells me decomposition is certain. My comfort is in tangible, provable, theoretically possible/probable, verifiable and most importantly reproducible results.
If you dont have that, it's fantasy at best, delusion at worst.

I rather like this explanation.

There's certainly a lot of things about our universe we're not even close to understanding -- or even knowing exist. The fact we don't understand them doesn't leave the door open for supernatural/fantastical things to exist, outside of our own imaginations.

We may learn that some things operate in a way which we may find supernatual, but that's attributed to novelty. People who saw lightbulbs or televisions for the first time thought those were pretty magical/fantastical, too. Drop someone from the 18th century into today's world and they would tell you there's much witchcraft afoot.

Our ghosts of today will be a 3rd grade science class experiment of tomorrow.

Message 31 of 77
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Remedios wrote:
Equations used in an attempt to reach some kind of understanding simply prohibit multiverse, bubble universes, and "parallel universes" ever coming in contact as we understand it.
In physics, parallel universe is merely reflection of all the possibilities, not some overlay where we shadow through each other.
Of course, the presence or absence cannot be proved or disapproved at this time, but same can be said for fairies, unicorns, UFOs etc.
My faith in science tells me decomposition is certain. My comfort is in tangible, provable, theoretically possible/probable, verifiable and most importantly reproducible results.

Aliens are real

Message 32 of 77
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@iced wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

I rather like this explanation.

There's certainly a lot of things about our universe we're not even close to understanding -- or even knowing exist. The fact we don't understand them doesn't leave the door open for supernatural/fantastical things to exist, outside of our own imaginations.

We may learn that some things operate in a way which we may find supernatual, but that's attributed to novelty. People who saw lightbulbs or televisions for the first time thought those were pretty magical/fantastical, too. Drop someone from the 18th century into today's world and they would tell you there's much witchcraft afoot.

Our ghosts of today will be a 3rd grade science class experiment of tomorrow.

That was kinda my point. While we call it supernatural, it could be something we can explain in the future. 

Message 33 of 77
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

I also have full faith in science, and also believe decomposition is certain - for organic material. But I also believe life is a form of energy, specifically our consciousness is a form of energy. And the first law of thermodynamics states that energy can neither be created nor destroyed; energy can only be transferred or changed from one form to another.

Scientific food for thought . . .

Message 34 of 77
Remedios
Credit Mentor

That's a common misunderstanding when applied to humans. While it's true that energy cannot be "destroyed", it changes forms
If you're referring to electrical impulses, they are simply not generated any longer. It's not that they have been destroyed, the cells responsible for their production no longer function. Impulse generation is now potential vs. kinetic energy, but only for a short while.
Use defibrillator (unless decomp is too great), and you can induce them again, albeit weaker due to damage. Also, they are no longer able to self sustain.
The only other energy we have is contained within our cells, and as they undergo changes, different metabolic process take place, this time dictated by bacteria.
So no mystery there, either.
Whatever we had, it's being transformed by microbes with whom we shared body for so long.
Corpse undergoes extensive changes, some quiet violent, I'm sure you know what I'm talking about without getting too graphic.

Lastly, if you're referring to "soul", well, that's just our internal moral compass, one we lovingly call conscience and compassion. Some have it in abundance, some have very little, some have none.
While not metaphysical "organ" it does define us more than anything else.
Message 35 of 77
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

PhotoGrid_1573823675115.jpg

Message 36 of 77
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Every morning I walk my wife out to her car. On the way back in, I grab a monster from the fridge. This morning I couldn't find my drink. I tore apart the fridge and finally gave up and was going to text her in case she took it out and forgot to put it back in after putting dinner away, and where she put it. As I turned down the hall, the can of monster was sitting on the hallway table. At this point I figured I was mistaken and forgot to put it in the fridge yesterday. When I picked it up, it was ice cold like it just came out of the fridge.

Message 37 of 77
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm loving these stories. Creepy af though.

Eddie-Murphy-Reaction.gif

Message 38 of 77
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous I got plenty more. Here's a quick one. Came home from work one day and the dogs were anxious to go out. I put my backpack in the room and on the way out the side door I put my water bottle on the counter. As I'm going out the door, I hear the water bottle fall. I go back in, pick it up and place it on the counter. I look to make sure it isn't gonna fall and I head out. As I'm going out the door, I hear the water bottle fall again. I go and pick it up and this time place it on the counter by the wall. I start going out the door when I hear a WHAM! I turn to see the water bottle rolling away from the fridge on the floor. Stuff on top of the fridge is shaking from the impact of the bottle on the door. The bottle hit so hard it left a dent on the stainless steel door.

Message 39 of 77
Anonymous
Not applicable

giphy (1).gif

Message 40 of 77
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.