iced
Valued Contributor

Re: Ghosts

raw.png

Message 21 of 77
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Might be an active night. Was standing by my side door and heard the dog scratching to be let in. I swung the door open fast and said loudly, " what are you doing out there!" Then I heard our little dog walk up behind me in the house. Nothing outside. Our dog that passed away a couple of years ago used to scratch at the door to be let in. She loved Halloween. 

Message 22 of 77
OmarR
Established Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

Might be an active night. Was standing by my side door and heard the dog scratching to be let in. I swung the door open fast and said loudly, " what are you doing out there!" Then I heard our little dog walk up behind me in the house. Nothing outside. Our dog that passed away a couple of years ago used to scratch at the door to be let in. She loved Halloween. 

I lost my girl in 2016 to a heart tumor. She was only 5.5 years old. Still miss and grieve her everyday.

EQ=850   EX=845   TU=843       0/24       UTIL=$1    AZEO

Message 23 of 77
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

I'm a little late to the Halloween party, but I once lived in a house with a spirit, a term I prefer to "ghost".

Around 1996 my employer let me move into a really nice house in Honolulu as caretaker, they had foreclosed it and it was tied up in courts. A previous owner had committed suicide by getting into the swimming pool and shooting himself in the head, apparently he really wanted to make sure he didn't survive - if the shot to the head didn't do it he would drown. He had lung cancer and was scheduled to have a lung removed and part of the other one removed and apparently decided he didn't want to live that way.

My boss told me there were stories of his spirit haunting the house, an atheist I laughed it off. But then the court appointed caretaker told me the ghost - his name was Bill - "lived" in the kitchen - he regularly set off areosol insect bombs in the house and when he came back the one in the kitchen had always been turned off. The kitchen had a large window that looked out on the pool and then an ocean view off in the distance, I image Bill did appreciate the view, and probably enjoyed it the evening he decided to climb into the pool with his gun.

I moved into the upstairs master bedroom, and that first night just to be on the safe side I walked into the kitchen and said "So Bill, I'm really sorry what happened to you. This is a really big house, so I'll stay upstairs and you can have the kitchen all whole downstairs to yourself and I'll stay out of your way". I retired upstairs and watched TV, and drank a bottle of red wine so it would really take a lot to wake me up. A couple weeks went by and all was going well. I met the neighbors and got a bit concerned when they all assured me that I would "meet" Bill, but they assured me he would never hurt anyone, he had been a very nice guy. I bought some furniture for the living room off the kitchen and setup a TV there. One night I was watching Monday Football and around 11pm went into the kitchen to get something and suddenly I smelled a really rotten smell, like something dead decaying. I thought maybe a dead mouse and got a broom and started poking around under the counters. Suddenly an icy cold breeze swept through the room, raising the hair on the back of my neck. The windows were closed, and you don't get icy cold breezes in Honolulu. Suddenly it occurred to me "Ah! Sorry Bill, I forgot!" I said loudly. "It's late and I'm in your way, I'm outta hear!", and quickly turned off the lights & TV and retreated upstairs.

All went well, and I made sure to stay up stairs after dark. But them a couple weeks later I got my confidence back and again watched TV late downstairs again. I walked into the kitchen and immediately smelled that rotten decaying smell again. I didn't hesitate, I apologized to Bill loudly, turned everything off and retreated upstairs. I had some friends visiting me a few weeks later who stayed the night and they told me they heard some "really strange sounds" during the night, and one told me there is "definitely something here in the house",  I'm fortunate that I've always been a very sound sleeper.

I moved out a few months later. I am convinced Bill's spirit was there in the kitchen. I hope you've found peace by now, Bill.

Message 24 of 77
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@OmarR we had to put down our lab today out of the blue. We're all taking it pretty hard.

Message 25 of 77
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Yeah it's tough to lose your dog, you get so attached to them and they are part of your family. I lost one of my two dogs in late April. I got her from an animal shelter in 2007, she picked me - I walked around the shelter and when I got to her pen she came running up to the fence and stood up on her hinds legs, with "Pick me! Pick me!" in her bright eyes and instantly won me over. We quickly became best friends. About two years ago she couldn't make it up the stairs into the house and I had to carry her in. I took her to the vet and found out she was diabetic with very high blood sugar. I didn't know animals could get diabetes but apparently it's not uncommon in dogs and even cats. I dutifully gave her injections of insulin every morning morning & evening for two years. About a year ago she went blind from the diabetes, I used to toss her a rubber toy from my chair while watching TV in the evening and realized she could no longer see the toy.

She remained such a trouper doing the best she could. Her last evening she curled up at my feet and just wanted to be constantly petted and praised. She slept under a desk in my bedroom and in the mornings I'd let her out before going to work, but that morning she didn't want to move and I let her lie. I told people at work that I was sure she was dying and hoped she made it until I got home, I didn't want her to die alone, and I planned on taking her to the vet and have her put down with me at her side. When I got home she was lying under my desk but was apparently in pain, her hind legs spasmed and she was gasping for breath. I petted her and comforted her and she got up on her front legs trying to stand up, and collapsed. I decided I didn't want to risk hurting her by moving her to the car to take her to the vet; fortunately she soon found her way to the Rainbow Bridge.

Message 26 of 77
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

So, a few things have happened in the last week.

Our lab would have a hard time getting up and her feet would slip and slide as she tried, making a bunch of noise.  Sometimes she would need help. Wife was in the bathroom and she heard our dog trying to get up so she hurried out to help before remembering she was gone. I figured she was just imagining it because it was so soon after putting her down. But then...

...two days later, I was walking my wife out at 4:30 in the morning for work. As I was coming in the house, I heard my lab shaking her head and the dog tags clinking from the living room. I go in, and there's nothing there. I figured it was the little dog and went looking for him. He was asleep in a bedroom on the other side of the house.

Speaking of the little dog, he used to play with our lab by zigzagging around the driveway and around her before stopping and squaring up with her. Then he would zoom off and do it over and over, sometimes even running around the house before stopping in front of her. We were wondering what he was going to do now that she wasn't around. Well, today, my wife brought home the ashes. We went to the store and came home. I let the little one out and was looking at my phone with my back to him. Didn't realize what was going on at first with all the noise. I stopped and looked up wondering what it was and turned to see him zigzagging around a certain spot, stopping and squaring up before repeating.

Some people say animals can't be ghosts because they don't have souls. I'm starting to wonder....

Message 27 of 77
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm sorry for the loss of you dog, Brian_Earl_Spilner.

I absolutely think that animals can be ghosts. Yes, I believed in the possibility of things "can't be explained" but it's one thing to believe in something and another for it to happen.

I worked at a person's house that had a cat. I'm not a cat person...or so I said. Well, apparently I was because I ended up playing with the cat. One week the cat started acting strangely, not as active (horrible gas, lol!) and the owner told me that it was probably it's time. The next time I came in, he told me their cat had passed.

I was walking down the hall and saw something out of the corner of my eye. It was the cat, but almost like a shadow of the cat. Wth. It didn't last long and I wrote it off. Then, I started hearing it purr around the house. Mind you, the house is pretty quiet. It also happened right next to me sometimes. I went to reach for the cat by instinct and would realize, oh yeah. It's dead. It's can't be here. But it is! It sort of made my skin crawl the first few times. This went on for about a week and I figured I was somehow imagining it or just losing my mind. The owner and I were talking one day and he casually mentions he saw the cat. Oh. My. God. This was a man of science, too. It was such a relief. We compared experiences, and they were the same. It continued for another week or so, then it stopped.

I don't know why these things happen, but after that I know that they are real even if they can't be explained.
Message 28 of 77
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
I'm sorry for the loss of you dog, Brian_Earl_Spilner.

I absolutely think that animals can be ghosts. Yes, I believed in the possibility of things "can't be explained" but it's one thing to believe in something and another for it to happen.

I worked at a person's house that had a cat. I'm not a cat person...or so I said. Well, apparently I was because I ended up playing with the cat. One week the cat started acting strangely, not as active (horrible gas, lol!) and the owner told me that it was probably it's time. The next time I came in, he told me their cat had passed.

I was walking down the hall and saw something out of the corner of my eye. It was the cat, but almost like a shadow of the cat. Wth. It didn't last long and I wrote it off. Then, I started hearing it purr around the house. Mind you, the house is pretty quiet. It also happened right next to me sometimes. I went to reach for the cat by instinct and would realize, oh yeah. It's dead. It's can't be here. But it is! It sort of made my skin crawl the first few times. This went on for about a week and I figured I was somehow imagining it or just losing my mind. The owner and I were talking one day and he casually mentions he saw the cat. Oh. My. God. This was a man of science, too. It was such a relief. We compared experiences, and they were the same. It continued for another week or so, then it stopped.

I don't know why these things happen, but after that I know that they are real even if they can't be explained.

Well, even someone of science can't really dismiss ghosts. They can dismiss the idea that we hold of what a ghost is, but as in my case, I've seen things that can't be explained. There could be a completely logical explanation that we're not aware of yet. If one believes in theories of a multiverse/parallel universe, what we think of as ghosts could be explained as shadows from an alternate universe or our realities bumping into each other.

Like I said earlier in the thread, I'm not sold on spirits, but I have seen and experienced enough in this house to know not to rule anything out. I just haven't gotten around to typing them out.

Message 29 of 77
Remedios
Credit Mentor

No, it cannot be explained that way.
Equations used in an attempt to reach some kind of understanding simply prohibit multiverse, bubble universes, and "parallel universes" ever coming in contact as we understand it.
You're talking about sci fi concepts.
In physics, parallel universe is merely reflection of all the possibilities, not some overlay where we shadow through each other.
Of course, the presence or absence cannot be proved or disapproved at this time, but same can be said for fairies, unicorns, UFOs etc.
It's a wishful, comforting thinking for some.
My faith in science tells me decomposition is certain. My comfort is in tangible, provable, theoretically possible/probable, verifiable and most importantly reproducible results.
If you dont have that, it's fantasy at best, delusion at worst.

Message 30 of 77
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.