Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Global Entry v. NEXUS

tag
CBartowski
Frequent Contributor

Global Entry v. NEXUS

Fellow FICOers

Wanted to pass on an interesting piece of intel I got from my CBP interview for GE (which by the way if you can, do Enrollment upon Arrival, didn't have to schedule an interview, just did it on my way back into the country).

Anyway, I plan to travel b/w US and CAN quite often for various purposes, national parks being one of them. When I mentioned this to CBP he told me to get NEXUS (a program that will expedite processing b/w US and CAN ONLY and going both ways, not just into US) instead of GE becuase siging up for the NEXUS program also included GE. He said it makes absolutely no sense to him why NEXUS is 50$ and GE is 100$ and its not advertised.

I obviously understand GE is covered by most CCs and appeals to a much more international audience but for US residents, 50$ for NEXUS may not be a bad deal.

I have not been able to independently verify. Anyone have any DPs? It would kind of make sense given the questions and process are likely to be the same b/w GE and NEXUS.

Anyway, figured I'd pass it along.

CARDS:
AMEX CS Plat | NSL -- Chase Freedom Flex | $19,000
AMEX Gold | NSL -- Citi Double Cash | $10,000
AMEX HH NAF | $1,000 -- Uber Visa | $5,000
CSR | $29,000 -- USAA Plat | $8,000
USAA AMEX | $23,000 -- MB Boundless | $11,900 -- CFU | $3,600 -- PenFed Pathfinder | $10,000 -- MS Plat | NSL

BANKS:
NFCU | USAA | PenFed | Schwab Bank | First Bank | Chase
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Global Entry v. NEXUS

@CBartowski wrote:

Fellow FICOers

Wanted to pass on an interesting piece of intel I got from my CBP interview for GE (which by the way if you can, do Enrollment upon Arrival, didn't have to schedule an interview, just did it on my way back into the country).

Anyway, I plan to travel b/w US and CAN quite often for various purposes, national parks being one of them. When I mentioned this to CBP he told me to get NEXUS (a program that will expedite processing b/w US and CAN ONLY and going both ways, not just into US) instead of GE becuase siging up for the NEXUS program also included GE. He said it makes absolutely no sense to him why NEXUS is 50$ and GE is 100$ and its not advertised.

I obviously understand GE is covered by most CCs and appeals to a much more international audience but for US residents, 50$ for NEXUS may not be a bad deal.

I have not been able to independently verify. Anyone have any DPs? It would kind of make sense given the questions and process are likely to be the same b/w GE and NEXUS.

Searching (e.g. https://thriftytraveler.com/global-entry-vs-nexus/)  seems to suggest that what you were told is right. Once you have Nexus, you can use it at any GE kiosk.  However, getting it can be harder as for the interview you need a place with both US and Canadian officials present.    GE cost can be covered by a lot of credit cards, no US cards offer Nexus.   

Message 2 of 18
Gunnerboy
Frequent Contributor

Something to keep in mind, when you apply for Nexus, you will be interviewing separately with both a Canadian customs officer and a U.S. customs official.

Also, if your U.S. passport happens to expire and needs to be renewed during the valid period of your Nexus card, you will need to visit a Canadian border agent to have your new passport scanned into their system.  With Global Entry, you can simply update your new passport book/card number online.  Unforturnately, though the two systems are linked, they don't share updated passport info.

"Not everyone who helps you is a friend, and not everyone who challenges you is an enemy."
Message 3 of 18
CramEiko
Established Contributor

@CBartowski wrote:

Fellow FICOers

A good form of ID if you are only visiting CAN/MEX and never intend to visit any other countries.

I do wonder if it will work the same by air between CAN/MEX?

I'm guessing Nexus wouldn't be the same from any other non-contiguous countries or indiviual airlines. For example Air China (flight operated by American Airlines) didn't recognise my GE for the international portion of my flight (state side). So when I flew in and out of SFO it wasn't on my ticket though it showed on my domestic portion of my trip to and from DFW - SFO. I even had my GE card in my hand, but since it wasn't on my ticket it doesn't count.... I said to myself, why even have a ID card? Was it to justify the $100 spend?

Not sure if this would apply to you or not but, the one thing that has expidited my CBP experience coming home to the US has been the Mobile Passport App. There is a free version and a paid version (abliity to store some of your information). I just use the free version and fill out the info just before entering the CBP checkpoint. It's practically scan and go at CBP. You just fill out the questions within the app. No need to hunt down a pen!

Good luck!

Updated Feb 2023:
Citi Double Cash: $26,300
Citi Costco: $33,800
PenFed Power Cash: $50,000
Chase Freedom Unlimited: $33,400
NFCU Cash Rewards: $29,000
BoA Unlimited Cash: $99,900
Wells Fargo Active Cash: $50,000
Citi AAdvantage Executive: $30,500
Wells Fargo Mortgage 30yr fixed 3.625%

Business Cards:
BoA Business Advantage Unlimited Cash: $8,000
Chase Ink Business Unlimited: $75,000
Chase Ink Business Unlimited: $75,000

RIP: EECU PLOC | BBVA PLOC | Chase SP | Chase Amazon | Chase Freedom | WF Propel | Cap1 QS | AMEX Gold | BoA Custom Cash | Lowes | Barclays Aviator Red
Message 4 of 18
wasCB14
Super Contributor

As LTL said, the main constraint on Nexus popularity is the limited number of places conducting interviews. Most Americans don't live that close to the Canadian border, and not all crossings even offer Nexus interviews.

My family has a vacation home in Canada and I've driven across the border a lot. The most convenient crossing doesn't offer Nexus interviews, and with such a long-standing pattern of travel the Canadian entrance interview takes about 2 minutes and doesn't require getting out of the car.

So from my perspective, why go look for a convenient time slot to go maybe two hours of my way to cut a 2 minute interview a few times a year down to maybe 1 minute? The longer interview (and one extensive seemingly random car search a few years ago) is when returning to the USA.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 5 of 18
CBartowski
Frequent Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@CBartowski wrote:

Fellow FICOers

Searching (e.g. https://thriftytraveler.com/global-entry-vs-nexus/)  seems to suggest that what you were told is right. Once you have Nexus, you can use it at any GE kiosk.  However, getting it can be harder as for the interview you need a place with both US and Canadian officials present.    GE cost can be covered by a lot of credit cards, no US cards offer Nexus.   

Right, CBP's site mentions the same. Here is my hang up: just because you can use GE kiosks, doesn't necessarily mean you get GE privledges with NEXUS. Simply means, to my and admittedly just one interpretation, that as a NEXUS member we can use GE kiosks to handle NEXUS business more from a practicality stand point. I will definitely ask in my next interview.

CARDS:
USAA AMEX | $23,000 -- MB Boundless | $11,900 -- CFU | $3,600 -- PenFed Pathfinder | $10,000 -- MS Plat | NSL

BANKS:
Message 6 of 18
CBartowski
Frequent Contributor

@CramEiko wrote:

@CBartowski wrote:

Fellow FICOers

A good form of ID if you are only visiting CAN/MEX and never intend to visit any other countries.

I'm guessing Nexus wouldn't be the same from any other non-contiguous countries or indiviual airlines. For example Air China (flight operated by American Airlines) didn't recognise my GE for the international portion of my flight (state side). So when I flew in and out of SFO it wasn't on my ticket though it showed on my domestic portion of my trip to and from DFW - SFO. I even had my GE card in my hand, but since it wasn't on my ticket it doesn't count.... I said to myself, why even have a ID card? Was it to justify the $100 spend?

Not sure if this would apply to you or not but, the one thing that has expidited my CBP experience coming home to the US has been the Mobile Passport App. There is a free version and a paid version (abliity to store some of your information). I just use the free version and fill out the info just before entering the CBP checkpoint. It's practically scan and go at CBP. You just fill out the questions within the app. No need to hunt down a pen!

Good luck!

Just to be clear, NEXUS is US and Canda only, MEX is not included. GE is also ONLY when entering US from a foreign country and I imagine it would be much like Pre Check in the sense that it has to be on your boarding pass, that makes sense. Good point about the card though. CBP Officer with whom I spoke essentially made it sound like its attached to a KTID and passport number so yeah not sure where the GE ID card comes in. I'd probably still carry, never know.

CARDS:

BANKS:
Message 7 of 18
CBartowski
Frequent Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

As LTL said, the main constraint on Nexus popularity is the limited number of places conducting interviews. Most Americans don't live that close to the Canadian border, and not all crossings even offer Nexus interviews.

My family has a vacation home in Canada and I've driven across the border a lot. The most convenient crossing doesn't offer Nexus interviews, and with such a long-standing pattern of travel the Canadian entrance interview takes about 2 minutes and doesn't require getting out of the car.

So from my perspective, why go look for a convenient time slot to go maybe two hours of my way to cut a 2 minute interview a few times a year down to maybe 1 minute? The longer interview (and one extensive seemingly random car search a few years ago) is when returning to the USA.

I can definitely see that constraint. However, I am hoping, and kind of expecting a program similar to Enrollment Upon Arrival is a thing once you enter Canada and go through CBSA they can conduct your interview there as part of your admissablity questions. Doing some reading, its not even just the questions that will be a pain, its the biometrics. It sounds like those can only be taken at even fewer enrollment centers/Canadian airports which is another reason I'm expecting for interviewing after I land in Canada.

BUT we shall see. Obviously I will keep update this after its all taken care of....and if I remember.

CARDS:

BANKS:
Message 8 of 18
tacpoly
Established Contributor

@CBartowski wrote:

@CramEiko wrote:

@CBartowski wrote:

Fellow FICOers

Good luck!

Just to be clear, NEXUS is US and Canda only, MEX is not included. GE is also ONLY when entering US from a foreign country and I imagine it would be much like Pre Check in the sense that it has to be on your boarding pass, that makes sense. Good point about the card though. CBP Officer with whom I spoke essentially made it sound like its attached to a KTID and passport number so yeah not sure where the GE ID card comes in. I'd probably still carry, never know.

So, Global Entry is not noted on your boarding pass. And it does not apply to any domestic travel (if that is what @CramEiko is questioning). Global Entry does include TSA Precheck benefits, but it is not guaranteed. But then, TSA Precheck isn't guaranteed for every flight even when you're enrolled in the precheck program:  the airline you are flying with needs to participate (e.g. I think Virgin Atlantic started participating just a year or so ago) and you could still be randomly chosen to not be given expedited screening. 

The main benefit of Global Entry is on arrival to the US. You get head-of-the-line priority at customs at most airports. If your plane arrives at the same time as a bunch of other international flights, specially if you have something to declare, GE can save you a lot of time.  (I've seen crazy customs lines at EWR and JFK that I just breezed past with GE.)

The Mobile Passport app does not provide this benefit; it simply expedites at passport control. But it does have the benefit of having a lot more kiosks than GE.  Although I've not had to wait longer than 5 minutes for a GE kiosk.

The GE card is of limited utility. It can be used as a valid ID at airport security if your state has not issued the enhanced drivers license and you don't want to pull out your passport. 

Re Nexus:  I think it's a great deal if the two border interviews requirement can be easily met. 

Message 9 of 18
OmarR
Established Contributor

@CBartowski wrote:

Even though I am assuming you are referencing flying, NEXUS cards are valid for RFID Ready Lanes at land crossings into the United States from Mexico.

EQ=850   EX=845   TU=843       0/24       UTIL=$1    AZEO

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.