Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gold Digger's

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Gold Digger's

Has this become more of an issue in the 21st Century?... Or has this always been an issue of folks looking to take advantage of another for their money?. Smiley Surprised

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: Gold Digger's

For much of recorded history, marriage has been about economic and political alliances. Fertility for security, or influence for wealth.

Maybe people weren't "taking advantage" of each other then...as people weren't kidding themselves about what the deal was.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 2 of 13
Jimp2323
Regular Contributor

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I typically get mine already dug up a smelted.  But, to each his/her own.

Message 4 of 13
iced
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Has this become more of an issue in the 21st Century?... Or has this always been an issue of folks looking to take advantage of another for their money?. Smiley Surprised

If anything, it's less of a concern now than it was in the past. Marriage historically was all about status and position between families, particularly among nobility. Marrying your daughter off to a rival lord or prince was a common tactic to settle a dispute.

Relationships being about love is a modern concoction. Before the 20th century, few people had the luxury of love.

Message 5 of 13
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@iced wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

If anything, it's less of a concern now than it was in the past. Marriage historically was all about status and position between families, particularly among nobility. Marrying your daughter off to a rival lord or prince was a common tactic to settle a dispute.

Relationships being about love is a modern concoction. Before the 20th century, few people had the luxury of love.

...or they just pursued it through affairs.

Message 6 of 13
LunaBuna
Regular Contributor

Really?  Is this a serious question?  

Yes, gold diggers exist, but so what.   Lets say that the gold digger is some hot 20 something year old.  The golden guy is mch old with extensive wealth.   If they both know what the arrangement is, so what?    We all know she is after the cash, he is after the looks.  I see this as a business arrangement.  Big deal.   

Do not hammer me with the what about love stuff, or either is being used.  My scenario is based on each of them knowing what the real deal is are fine with it.     

I also believe that every marriage should have a pre-nup.  Should be required.   Plan for the end while still friends.   Save time and money.

Message 7 of 13
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@LunaBuna wrote:

Really?  Is this a serious question?  

Yes, gold diggers exist, but so what.   Lets say that the gold digger is some hot 20 something year old.  The golden guy is mch old with extensive wealth.   If they both know what the arrangement is, so what?    We all know she is after the cash, he is after the looks.  I see this as a business arrangement.  Big deal.   

Do not hammer me with the what about love stuff, or either is being used.  My scenario is based on each of them knowing what the real deal is are fine with it.     

I also believe that every marriage should have a pre-nup.  Should be required.   Plan for the end while still friends.   Save time and money.

It's a big deal to his children from an earlier marriage!

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think there have always been gold diggers. People get into relatonships for a lot of reasons. Money, power, attaction, looks, sex, status, love, a place to live, fear of living a lone. When we owned the ford dealership it seemed atleast once a week I had some girl say I can be your little tramp if you give me a car.  My oldest son is very much afraid to live alone and for that simple reason he has been involved wih several woman that were just short of axe murders.  

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's as old as the world's oldest profession, and as long as there are "haves" and "have nots," I suspect it will remain just as it always has been.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.