cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Goldman Sachs Card Release is Vintage Apple!

tag
ridgebackpilot
Established Contributor

Goldman Sachs Card Release is Vintage Apple!

You know those long lines at Apple stores to get the latest model of the iPhone or iPad? It strikes me we're seeing the credit card equivalent of that now with the new Apple card!

By making the new Apple card available "by invitation only", Apple has all of us lined up at the virtual store. Because the card seems exclusively available to a few, we all want it. That it's an illusion created by Apple doesn't matter. We're all dutifully signing up to get the invitation and enjoy the "privilege" of applying for a card that has only mediocre benefits compared to many others we've reviewed here! Well done, Apple! Your marketing department deserves another trophy.

Of course, I'll admit I was one of those early adopters right along with many others here. Would I have applied for the Apple card absent the "invitation" hype and the mad rush here? Perhaps not. Still, I do buy a lot of Apple gear so perhaps the card will eventually prove useful after all... It just won't be my daily driver. Of course, YMMV!

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Re: Goldman Sachs Card Release is Vintage Apple!

I am confused about the apple card but then again I don't have an iphone.

WHAT are the benefits?

Last time I looked the rewards were far from impressive.

What am I missing here?

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 2 of 12
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Very true. Someone else on this forum coined the term “iLemming” and I am definitely that lol. 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 3 of 12
Grizzly1
Contributor

Apple card speculations

I was wondering if there will be a Apple card S like the phones? Or will we be able to get the card in that space grey color? lol

8/2019: EQ 617, TU 578, EX 628
9/2021: EQ 684, TU 662, EX 671
Message 4 of 12
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Re: Apple card speculations

I’m waiting for the Apple Card Max. It’s gonna be the size of an iPhone. Just imagine plopping that down on the table for the waiter. 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Refer this question to the MyFicoer @CreditCuriosity as he is the responsible one for our "prognostication" features! Seems he called the Apple Card over the OCCU Beaver Card, Citi Forward Card, Sallie Mae MasterCard and certainly the Diner's Club Card so let's ask him Smiley Sad He has a channel into the future and it is "spot on" ... Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Think they'll offer a secured version for those who can't get approved for the current one? You could even make the needed deposit through Apple Pay if you have a debit card in there, and have the card automatically graduate after a certain amount of good history. I'm not sure they'll still be able to offer the current rewards structure on the secured card though.

Message 7 of 12
Andypanda
Established Contributor

As a iphone and Ipad fan boy ( i do use PC over mac) I don't see any benifit in the card. Pay for my iphone on my cell bill, which I get 5% instead of 3% using my usb cash+. for a ipad one can get 5% or 3% back on amazon, using chase amazon visa (depending if one is a prime member) for a mac one can 2% back from costco using citi costco visa, and another 2% back if one is an executive member. both Amazon and costco are cheaper than the apple store. for Itunes I buy a $100 gc from costco for $85 and get the 2%+2% from costco. also rightwf propel has a amex deal where one gets 4 points per dollar from itunes. still in my first year on discver, so I effectvly get 2% back on evreything. when I feel like leaving the garden, I will get the citi DC, to continue getting the 2% on evreything that dosn't fall into another catagorey,

Message 8 of 12
iced
Valued Contributor

@ridgebackpilot wrote:

By making the new Apple card available "by invitation only", Apple has all of us lined up at the virtual store. Because the card seems exclusively available to a few, we all want it. That it's an illusion created by Apple doesn't matter. We're all dutifully signing up to get the invitation and enjoy the "privilege" of applying for a card that has only mediocre benefits compared to many others we've reviewed here! Well done, Apple! Your marketing department deserves another trophy.

That's the part I don't understand. People know it's not that great and they still willingly fall for it anyway. That's not great marketing, that's dumb consumerism.

You know...fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me....or can't get fooled again if you're a former POTUS living in Texas.

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

this card is going to be used as a way to lock people into the upgrade cycle for the iphone, because it's basically part of the digital wallet app and that needs constant security updates on the IOS operating system to function. how many generations of iphone are going to be offered the necessary updates? probably looking at 3 years worth of updates tops? unless they get really greedy...

i mean, lets face it, the biggest moneymaker now is from selling dongles for the headphone jack, and overpriced memory upgrades because they prevent you from using an SDcard. greed isn't a strong enough word!

if you are looking at buying a mac pro for $10K+ this card might be useful for a small discount on it if you don't find it on sale anywhere...

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.