Did you mean: 

Good documentary to watch.

tag
Cleaningitup2016
Frequent Contributor

Good documentary to watch.

Look up "Secret History of the Credit Card"

It was made for PBS back in 2004.

Basically..credit card companies have won two supreme court rulings that let them jack up interest rates as well as the amount of late fees.
Back in the 90's most states had a "usury rate" and CCC's usually only charged $5-$10 on late fees.

It is a huge eye opener on how greedy and inhumane CCC's truly are.

I think it should be "required watching" for those of us who are rebuilding to learn how we got here.

Credit Card companies have a name for those who pay their bill in full each month: Deadbeats
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: Good documentary to watch.

Great program. My mom bought copies years ago not just for myself but for a few relatives.

There are a few familiar faces among the experts. At least one has risen in prominence while another has fallen. I will say no further to avoid breaking MF rules.
Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 2 of 12
VanderSnoot
Established Contributor

Thanks for the suggestion, OP.

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleaningitup2016 wrote:

Basically..credit card companies have won two supreme court rulings that let them jack up interest rates as well as the amount of late fees.
Back in the 90's most states had a "usury rate" and CCC's usually only charged $5-$10 on late fees.

I think it should be "required watching" for those of us who are rebuilding to learn how we got here.

Reading through your posting history is like watching Eeyore with a depressing storm cloud always hanging over his head.  It seems like bad things just happen to you; but absolutely nothing is attributable to the choices you made.

You "got here" in part by living above your means.  If you live within your means credit card companies can charge whatever they want in late fees and interest rates and it wouldn't affect you one iota.  But if you want to finance your life by borrowing, then of course those companies will have a hold on you.

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Come for the info share, stay for the lecture, eh? 

Message 5 of 12
Cleaningitup2016
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Cleaningitup2016 wrote:

Reading through your posting history is like watching Eeyore with a depressing storm cloud always hanging over his head.  It seems like bad things just happen to you; but absolutely nothing is attributable to the choices you made.

You "got here" in part by living above your means.  If you live within your means credit card companies can charge whatever they want in late fees and interest rates and it wouldn't affect you one iota.  But if you want to finance your life by borrowing, then of course those companies will have a hold on you.

While my past is my fault and I admit mistakes that I made, a lot of people who are having issues have them because of issues entirely beyond their control such as a death of a loved one, severe medical issues or job loss / layoffs.

When you have rent or a car or other bills due without any liquid cash then sadly putting it on credit is usually the only means possible.

It really irks me when I see people who make $100,000 plus a year telling people the whole bootstrap ideology or to live within their means. This is a near instant indication to me that they are either entirely out of touch with reality or lack basic human empathy.

I don't think a lot of people who are in massive amounts of debt get credit cards, rack them up and go "ha- not paying them" they are usually in debt due to factors beyond their control.

Credit Card companies have a name for those who pay their bill in full each month: Deadbeats
Message 6 of 12
Cleaningitup2016
Frequent Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:
Great program. My mom bought copies years ago not just for myself but for a few relatives.

There are a few familiar faces among the experts. At least one has risen in prominence while another has fallen. I will say no further to avoid breaking MF rules.

When you have people like Andrew Kahr who literally invent things that are to the major benefit of credit card companies, you kinda wonder how these people can sleep at night.

If it was not for some of the rules/regulations/bills that have been passed over 20 or so years, credit card companies would have you over a barrel as long as they could.

At the end of the day, these large corporations and banks are under the guidance of people who have absolutely no moral compass whatsoever. If you think for one second these people "care about the consumer" you are out of their mind. In fact they would probably sell their own mother to the devil for a dollar.

Especially that lobbyist who has the gall to tell people "If we made the terms easier to understand it would hard consumers" no...it would harm the bottom line of these companies.

We no longer have basic democracy when these guys can throw suitcases full of money at people and have things changed that completely screw over regular people.

Message 7 of 12
OmarR
Established Contributor

@Cleaningitup2016 wrote:

It really irks me when I see people who make $100,000 plus a year telling people the whole bootstrap ideology or to live within their means. This is a near instant indication to me that they are either entirely out of touch with reality or lack basic human empathy.

Making $100,000 has nothing to do with it. Or any other income level for that matter. You can make $1,000,000 per year, and if you spend $2,000,000, than you are not living within your means. Just like someone who makes $40,000 a year can be smart with their money and and still criticize the $1,000,000 person for spending $2,000,000 and not having a thing to show for it. Does the $40,000 person lack basic human empathy, in your opinion?

@Cleaningitup2016 wrote:

I don't think a lot of people who are in massive amounts of debt get credit cards, rack them up and go "ha- not paying them" they are usually in debt due to factors beyond their control.

Um, that's exactly what they do. The factor beyond their control is that they cannot control themselves. When you look at the average cc statement, do you think you will see itemized charges for starbucks & cigarettes or a heart transplant and a pack of dialysis?

I honestly do not know your post history and you are not wrong that these companies just consider you to be a number. But no one has to be a victim. If it really bothers you, you could cancel all your credit cards and just do debit card for life.

EQ=850   EX=845   TU=843       0/24       UTIL=$1    AZEO

Message 8 of 12
Cleaningitup2016
Frequent Contributor

@OmarR wrote:

@Cleaningitup2016 wrote:

Making $100,000 has nothing to do with it. Or any other income level for that matter. You can make $1,000,000 per year, and if you spend $2,000,000, than you are not living within your means. Just like someone who makes $40,000 a year can be smart with their money and and still criticize the $1,000,000 person for spending $2,000,000 and not having a thing to show for it. Does the $40,000 person lack basic human empathy, in your opinion?

@Cleaningitup2016 wrote:

Um, that's exactly what they do. The factor beyond their control is that they cannot control themselves. When you look at the average cc statement, do you think you will see itemized charges for starbucks & cigarettes or a heart transplant and a pack of dialysis?

I honestly do not know your post history and you are not wrong that these companies just consider you to be a number. But no one has to be a victim. If it really bothers you, you could cancel all your credit cards and just do debit card for life.

Americans lived fine without major credit card debt until the 1980's when it started to skyrocket and has reacher over $1T.

In fact credit "charga plates" used to be around in major stores since the 20's.

Credit card companies advertise heavily and shove offers down people's throat.

They bank on people to screw up. They do not like people who pay in full every month because they don't make much if any money off them and in fact the industry calls people who do this "deadbeats".

They entice consumers with introductory offers like 0% APR and have pages of tiny print detailing how any minute screw up will revoke that rate...and in some cases missing ONE payment will cause your rate to rise as well.

You make the assumption that everyone in the USA is very intelligent and a lot of them are, and pay in full or just don't use credit cards altogether any pay in cash, but that can make it harder to finance a home or car.

But these companies prey on the people who have addictive habits like a shopping addiction, or people who are not very intelligent. 

They even used to set up booths at colleges to try and sign students up for cards.

Message 9 of 12
OmarR
Established Contributor

@Cleaningitup2016 wrote:

@OmarR wrote:

@Cleaningitup2016 wrote:

@Cleaningitup2016 wrote:

Americans lived fine without major credit card debt until the 1980's when it started to skyrocket and has reacher over $1T.

In fact credit "charga plates" used to be around in major stores since the 20's.

Credit card companies advertise heavily and shove offers down people's throat.

They bank on people to screw up. They do not like people who pay in full every month because they don't make much if any money off them and in fact the industry calls people who do this "deadbeats".

They entice consumers with introductory offers like 0% APR and have pages of tiny print detailing how any minute screw up will revoke that rate...and in some cases missing ONE payment will cause your rate to rise as well.

You make the assumption that everyone in the USA is very intelligent and a lot of them are, and pay in full or just don't use credit cards altogether any pay in cash, but that can make it harder to finance a home or car.

But these companies prey on the people who have addictive habits like a shopping addiction, or people who are not very intelligent. 

They even used to set up booths at colleges to try and sign students up for cards.

I agree 100% with your post.

But did you know that you can say NO to credit cards? You can say NO to vehicles you cannot afford? You can say NO to mortgages you cannot afford?

You said it yourself and you even took the effort to BOLD it; They bank on people to screw up. So at what point does the person take accountabilty for their choices and stop screwing up? That is an honest question that I am asking you.

EQ=850   EX=845   TU=843       0/24       UTIL=$1    AZEO

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.