cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grub Hub vs order online

Highlighted
Established Contributor

Grub Hub vs order online

Hey guys, so today I ordered using Grubhub and the cashier told me to just order online thru their website that way they could avoid paying a commission. So, what I was doing was using Grubhub to pick up but I could also use their website to do the same thing, it defeats the purpose of using grubhub then. I'm going to get the Gold card soon but should that stray me from using grubhub from the restaurant then? It's the only place that I go, I don't go anywhere else cause they put a lot of salt and stuff in their food and its not authentic. I guess, grubhub is there for them to get big orders and so that they could do delivery for them, not for pick up, as it would be cheaper for us the customers. I mean, that's not my problem, that's the business problem. I do know that they have the right to reserve service to anyone, I just don't want that to be the reason. 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Super Contributor

Re: Grub Hub vs order online

I'm not sure what GrubHub's fee structure is, but in the case of Uber Eats, the restaurant only gets about half of the pre-tax amount once you adjust for:

- About 30% of the cost of the food (paid by the restaurant to Uber). I don't know if the new Service Fee reduces this.

- The delivery fee (paid by the customer)

- The new (15%?) Service Fee (paid by the customer)

Since the prices have to be the same on Uber as directly from the restaurant, some restaurants find it better to raise prices and offer free delivery that they provide themselves, encouraging price-sensitive customers to avoid Uber.

Of course, Uber is also about to have an IPO so management is incentivised to make the quarterly earnings strong, even if it seriously endangers long-term customer and restaurant loyalty.

Grub Hub may not be so eager to gouge restaurants as much in the short-term, but I expect the fees are still high.

Spend: BofA PR + WWFCR, BBP, Schwab Platinum, CFF+CF, Costco, Discover
Perks: IHG49, Hyatt75, Delta Platinum, "Old" SPG95
SD/AAoA Ballast: Arrival, CFU, DC
Upgrade/downgrade games: BCE, EDP
SUB: JetBlue, Amex Platinum
Mostly earning MRs and cash back as I use up hotel and airline points spread across several programs.
Message 2 of 4
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Grubhub, Eat24, etc... all those sites are ADVERTISEMENT for the businesses to reach new customers.. once you are a customer... they can save costs 25-50% of the meal by getting you to order on their site directly...

If you new to the resturant etc... i would say grubhub... but if not order directly

AU on: 2008 Sears MC $2,001 | 2016 SEARS Store Card $2,001 | 2011 Synchrony Home $5,500 | 2003 FNBO Visa $9,900 | 2008 Macys Amex $1,900 | 2008 Kohls $2,000 | 2008 JC Penny $4,500 | 2016 TJX Mastercard $1,500 | 2019 SDFCU PowerCash Visa $10,000 | 2018 AAdvantage Aviator MC $5,600 | 2018 HSN $4,500 | 2016 Local Credit Union Visa $5,000.
Member of: Andrews FCU (Share) | PENFED CU (Checking/Share/Credit) | SDFCU (Share) | Alliant CU (Checking/Share) | NASA FCU (Share) | NWFCU (Checking/Share) | Ally Bank (Checking/Savings) | BofA (Checking/Share) | Navigant CU (Share) | Greenwood CU (Checking/Share) | Elements Financial CU (Share) | Ocean State CU (Share) | SDFCU (Share) | Wells Fargo (Checking) | RI Credit Union (Share) | US Financial FCU (Checking 2 Day Early Direct Deposit/Share) | CashApp | PayPal Premier (for free direct deposit access with cash card) | Paypal Business (Grandfathered 1.5% Cash Back on Biz Debit) | Apple Pay Cash | and Venmo.
WISH LIST: Hanscom FCU (For the 2 day early direct deposit).
IIB: DCU | NFCU | Comenity | Synchrony | Barclays | Discover | Amex | Webbank (Avant) | Santander | Citi (Shell) | DSNB (Macys) | TDRCS (Target+Nordstrom) | Capital One (Personal+Business, Kohls, and GM Personal) | CreditFirst(Firestone).
Message 3 of 4
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@TheBoondocks wrote:

Hey guys, so today I ordered using Grubhub and the cashier told me to just order online thru their website that way they could avoid paying a commission. So, what I was doing was using Grubhub to pick up but I could also use their website to do the same thing, it defeats the purpose of using grubhub then. I'm going to get the Gold card soon but should that stray me from using grubhub from the restaurant then? It's the only place that I go, I don't go anywhere else cause they put a lot of salt and stuff in their food and its not authentic. I guess, grubhub is there for them to get big orders and so that they could do delivery for them, not for pick up, as it would be cheaper for us the customers. I mean, that's not my problem, that's the business problem. I do know that they have the right to reserve service to anyone, I just don't want that to be the reason. 

I don't think it should stray you at all. You use the restaurant's site everytime you're NOT using the $10 montly credit. Order through Grubhub ONLY when you want to apply the $10 credit and the restaurant's site every other time. Still use the Gold on the reg orders and you should still get the 4x. I'd say if you like the card, you can fit it into your lifestyle (at least this particular aspect) quite nicely.

AMEX CS Plat | NSL -- Chase Freedom | $19,000
AMEX Gold | NSL -- Citi Double Cash | $10,000
AMEX HH NAF | $1,000 -- Uber Visa | $5,000
CSR | $29,000 -- USAA Plat | $8,000
USAA AMEX | $23,000
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.