cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have you all seen Coin? (replacement Credit Card Device!

tag
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Have you all seen Coin? (replacement Credit Card Device!

I think we have seen and talked about a couple different companies and similar products that talk about coming out and then never do and here is to hoping this is not another of the same but at such a low cost I'm in either way!

Can I post the link or how does that work?

https://onlycoin.com/?referral=EoagmEOB

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
icloud2525
Frequent Contributor

Coin card

What's everyone's opinion on this thing? Anyone going to be getting it? Onlycoin.com
Chase Sapphire Reserve $32.5K, Amex BCP $20K, Amex PRG NPSL, Amex Hilton Surpass $13,500, Amex Hilton $16,200, Discover it $16,000, Citi TYP $18,900, US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig $12,000, Virgin Atlantic World Elite MC $13,100, Merrill+ Visa Sig $10,000, Fidelity Visa Sig $14,000, Barclay Cash Forward $16,500, Wells Fargo Rewards $12,500, Local CU $7000, Barclay Apple Rewards $5500, Chase Freedom $5000,-- EQ FICO 768, EX FICO 777, TU FICO 781
Message 2 of 14
icloud2525
Frequent Contributor

Re: Have you all seen Coin? (replacement Credit Card Device!

Posted about this at the exact same time. Strange.
Chase Sapphire Reserve $32.5K, Amex BCP $20K, Amex PRG NPSL, Amex Hilton Surpass $13,500, Amex Hilton $16,200, Discover it $16,000, Citi TYP $18,900, US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig $12,000, Virgin Atlantic World Elite MC $13,100, Merrill+ Visa Sig $10,000, Fidelity Visa Sig $14,000, Barclay Cash Forward $16,500, Wells Fargo Rewards $12,500, Local CU $7000, Barclay Apple Rewards $5500, Chase Freedom $5000,-- EQ FICO 768, EX FICO 777, TU FICO 781
Message 3 of 14
Darrell82
Established Contributor

Do you know if that is like the google wallet app when it charges the card. If i was to use the google wallet app like for example i used my freedom card for gas i would not get any extra points for that because it doesnt show up as a charge for gas. Hmm

Message 4 of 14
Darrell82
Established Contributor

It looks like this wont actually be out to use till summer time so I am sure more will be out about this by then. It looks like it will be just like using the card itself ounce you pick that card. And will be charged straight to the card you use unlike the Google wallet. Nice.. I def like the idea of this. Looks like pre ordering it is $55.00. But if you wait till it comes out it will cost you $100.00. 

But they also brought up a good point while I saw a video on yahoo about this. Is that sometimes the merchant wants to see your card and id when you make a purchase.. His answer was that at some point they will make it where your name and other info to identify you will be on the card. But that still does not give you the 3 digit code on back of card and what not. This will def be very nice if it all works out. Nothing worse then sitting on a brick hahaha.

Message 5 of 14
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I had been involved over a year ago with the KickStarter Geode by iCache and that was $300+ and seemed like it was going and then they all up and disappeared and it's gone... so for just $50 and a release date about 6 months I'll order and sit and see!

I'm also on the list for Wallaby but that seems like they have been saying sign up sign up and use our app for over a year and nothing new so they seem a little frozen too... one of these will figure it out and actually launch and stay afloat at some point!

Message 6 of 14
Darrell82
Established Contributor

yeah i think i might go ahead and jump on board for this one.. It will be great if someone will get this rolling. 

Message 7 of 14
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Darrell82 wrote:

yeah i think i might go ahead and jump on board for this one.. It will be great if someone will get this rolling. 

That's what I figure...

1. They are cheaper price point then any I have seen

2. They must be trying to pre-sell to prove how much people want them in the marketplace and those orders might give them the capital they need and also the numbers to raise other angel investors possibly

3. out of all things I waste money on, I'm okay if I loose the $50 on this one Smiley Tongue

Message 8 of 14
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Nice idea but useless at any merchant that does check the signature at the back of your card. So it might work in the US but never outside the US Smiley Sad ...the only merchants that carelessly accept my cards are in the US...I cannot remember when a merchant in the US had asked for ID as this is written next to my signature but since I am frequently outside the US mainly Europe and Asia I have to always show ID ...these merchants check the back of the card..look at the signature and then request ID as I wish for...so this card does not even have the signature option And therefore I do not see how this could be used outside the US??....but curious to see how they want to overcome this issue.
Message 9 of 14
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

If I were a merchant, there is no way I would accept such a device. Any more than I would accept a slip of paper that someone had written a credit card number down on.

Part of the security of using a credit card, is the fact that someone cannot easily duplicate the look and feel of a credit card. And the credit card company accepts liability for false transactions provided you the merchant in good faith accepted one of their cards. Accepting some device just because it can produce the 16 digit number (or however many is on a standard credit card) of someones credit card, doesn't pass muster.

How do I know that an employee didn't swipe a customers card into the employees device, and now weeks or months later they use the coin version to rack up charges at some other store?

This whole concept is flawwed.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.