Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with a hot water heater...

tag
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Help with a hot water heater...

So, my small hot water heater makes this popping/gurgling/boiling water sound.....but only when my AC unit kicks on and the AC is running.  Why??  What could this possibly mean? Help! lol

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Help with a hot water heater...

Sounds like you have a heating system that feeds hot water to the furnace?  I had this once and the same symptoms you describe would happen if I left the hot water loop open to the furnace while trying to run the air conditioner. Fix: just close the hot water loop to/from the furnace. 

Message 2 of 4
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

It's a gonna asplode

Message 3 of 4
Moneyklutz
Frequent Contributor

Is the water heater gas or electric? and 'small' as in r2d2/beer keg sized?

Gas water heaters gurgle/pop/say hello when sediment builds up inside them and only when the burner is on. The sound is caused by water boiling at the bottom of the tank chamber as the flames impinge on it and the sediment prevents the transfer of heat through the water heater jacket from happening evenly. It can also cause the heater to fail prematurely so best to address it soon. Solution is to flush the sediment out by opening the drain valve after attaching a garden hose to it. More common with houses on wells but I've seen it happen with city water systems too. Electric water heaters usually have the heating elements suspended somewhere mid tank and not at the bottom.

I'd be surprised if an electric 'small' water heater was tied into an HVAC system with a heat exchanger coil...not enough BTU's available to warm a snails butt but homeowners and even the occasional plumber do strange things when chasing efficiency.

Why it happens when the AC is on is a complete headscratcher to me... quick experiment would be to run hot water at a sink without the AC on and see if the noise is present or not?         

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.