Not applicable

Highest Discover Credit Limit

deleted

Message 1 of 74
73 REPLIES 73
Creditplz
Valued Contributor

Re: Highest Discover Credit Limit

Highest I've seen on the forums is 62,000.00, I'm not sure of his income but it must be super high...
Message 2 of 74
gingerflower
Valued Contributor

Wow...
Message 3 of 74
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a very difficult time believing your friend, on two fronts. Number one, I've never heard of an initial CL that high with an issuer, regardless of issuer or income. My partner makes about $290k a year and was approved for a new $40k Amex BCE to match his existing Costco card and it's his highest limit card, highest initial limit to date is $28k with an 800+ score. Secondly, I had a very difficult time getting the dealership to let me put a $10k down payment for my Mercedes on my AMEX Platimum card; I can't imagine there would be many dealerships willing to put a brand new BMW full price on a card with the transaction fees. And we're talking about Discover; not exactly a card company that targets and tries to keep high spenders.

All that said, maybe he's a millionaire with a credit score that puts us all to shame, but I'm skeptical.
Message 4 of 74
Creditplz
Valued Contributor

^^ agreed, I tired putting $15k down on a BMW last week with a credit card and they said no, 5,000 max.. I not only tried one dealership, I tried contacting 11 dealers and they all said no.
Message 5 of 74
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dealership is not going to eat the fees on a credit card transaction of that magnitude. Nope nope nope. I'm sure many of us here have tried. I was shot down last month.
Message 6 of 74
Credit_hawk
Established Contributor

I don't want to call your friend a liar but that's a really far fetched limit.

@Anonymous wrote:

I was talking to my friend earlier today, and I asked him if he had fixed his credit card problem yet. Long story short, my friend had purchased a business that had a Capital One business credit card, but it was attached to the old owner. My friend used the account and paid it in full every month, but the old owner closed it one day without telling him. I had only heard about this because he knew I work for a bank and he wanted my advice.

My friend told me that he applied for a new Capital One business card, but he was upset because his limit was "only $40,000" so he won't use it.

Then he told me that he applied for a personal Discover card, and they gave him a credit limit of $130,000. The first thing he bought was a brand new BMW for his girlfriend. With the double cash back promo, he probably earned over $1,000 cash back on his first purchase.

Has anybody else heard of such high limits on a Discover card? He assured me this was not a business account.

FICO- Experian: 797, TransUnion: 781, Equifax: 804 (Updated Monthly)
Message 7 of 74
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yup never seen a dealership allow putting whole car on a credit card as some has claimed. Max I've seen is 5000. Only time is maybe if ur paying MSRP plus dealer markup plus the 3% transaction fee they might let u

Message 8 of 74
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
I have a very difficult time believing your friend, on two fronts. Number one, I've never heard of an initial CL that high with an issuer, regardless of issuer or income. My partner makes about $290k a year and was approved for a new $40k Amex BCE to match his existing Costco card and it's his highest limit card, highest initial limit to date is $28k with an 800+ score. Secondly, I had a very difficult time getting the dealership to let me put a $10k down payment for my Mercedes on my AMEX Platimum card; I can't imagine there would be many dealerships willing to put a brand new BMW full price on a card with the transaction fees. And we're talking about Discover; not exactly a card company that targets and tries to keep high spenders.

All that said, maybe he's a millionaire with a credit score that puts us all to shame, but I'm skeptical.

I'll be honest, I had a hard time believing it myself, which is why I wanted to ask here.

He is rich and owns other businesses besides the one I mentioned. We've done business together before, and I see no reason for him to lie about a credit card, but I obviously have no proof of what he said. I know he bought the BMW, but that's the only fact I can verify.

I don't want to start a debate on whether my friend was telling the truth, but I am curious if anybody here has seen a similar situation.

Ask him to see his discover online statement to see how much cash back he got

Message 9 of 74
Anonymous
Not applicable

on 130k at 2%, should be 2600 cash back. Just ask to see the credit limitSmiley Tongue

Message 10 of 74
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.