cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Much of our Beautiful World have you seen?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How Much of our Beautiful World have you seen?

Haven't been too many places, but I know I've been one place that not many others have Smiley Happy

England - neato, but not too exciting to see.. I guess it's a little too "familiar" from movies and history books. It was extremely green, like I've never seen. And misty the entire time - like walking in a cloud every day. The oddest sight was sheep with numbers spraypainted on them.

Puerto Vallarta, Mexico - very tropical. The food at the Hard Rock was just icky. But, snorkeling at an underwater national park made up for that Smiley Happy

Canada - it looks like the US Smiley Happy

Cuba - It looks a LOT like SoCal, only with fabulous Caribbean waters Smiley Happy .. if SoCal didn't have such an extensive irrigation system, of course. Anyone who has ever driven across Camp Pendleton, which is pretty un-irrigated and wild, has a sense for being in Cuba. Most of it smells like plumeria, which grows all over. MMMmmmm.. the most interesting thing is the coral.. the whole island is made of coral, it used to be underwater. So wherever you walk, instead of rocks & gravel, there is coral. Even the sides of the mountain, with cactus and palm trees and iguanas growing side-by-side, is scattered with coral. Sticking out of the dirt. Really neat.
Message 11 of 57
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

For pleasure, no business:

Switzerland
Germany twice
France twice
England
Amsterdam
Austria
Ireland (planning another trip)
Canada
Caribbean
Bahamas

CA
NV
FL
Mass.
WV
Va
NC
PA
MI
IL
TN
KY

In 1990 we took a wonderful cruise along the Rhine, and extended into Switzerland.  I fell in love with Lucerne, it's sooo beautiful and so rich in history.  Two weeks in each country is way too short!!!!!!

Message 12 of 57
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

My friend Annie owns a home 1 hour outside of Belfast, two friends in Australia, one in Germany.  Plenty of free room and board!!
Message 13 of 57
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

I feel uncultured compared to y'all.

Stateside: FL, GA, SC, NC, VA, DC, MD, PA, NJ, DE, NY, MA, NH, VT, ME, CT, RI, WV, TN, KY, OH, IN, IL, MO, KS, NE, CO, WA, CA, NV, NM, AZ, TX, LA, MS, AL, GA, OK.

Foreign: Mexico, Canada, Germany, Italy, Tunisia, Bahamas, BWI, Andorra, and Malta. Do have plans to go to El Salvador and Guatemala later this year.

DW went to most of above including Spain, Bolivia, Nicaragua, & UK.

Forgot to add....Vatican City

Message Edited by llecs on 05-20-2008 09:15 AM
Message 14 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

Since you wondered what all these places look like...
here's Gtmo Bay, Cuba:

The ground is made of ancient coral mixed w/ sand and some dirt:

It turns into a true jungle during the rainy season - complete with boas and tarantulas! This is the view out our front door:

There are iguanas everywhere you turn... some have gotten a little too friendly, like this one, who eventually took to the shade under my beach chair (eek!):

The water is gorgeous - calm as a lake, and clear as a bathtub. Here's the view from the main road overlooking the post office & marina:

And the sunsets were the most amazing I have EVER seen. Here's the sunset, again, out our front door like the jungle pic was:

But there was always a vague sense of mixed comfort and creepiness to be living in such a hotly debated location. Here's a pic of Windmill Beach, the only spot that got any waves because of the coral reef. Just above it, is a guard tower. What you don't see, is that on our left there is another cliff that is exactly the same, only covered with chain link fence and tons of barbed wire, with the detainee huts visible while we frolick in the waves below...

Message Edited by ivyalmighty on 05-19-2008 04:23 PM
Message 15 of 57
Myhearts
Frequent Contributor

Thanks, IvyAlmighty for sharing those pictures.

Hearts
I can and will be a part of the 700 club this year, because I can do all things through Christ.
Message 16 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

Off the top of my head:

Austria, Belgium, Czech Rep, England, Estonia, France, Germany, Greece (+ islands) , Italy, Netherlands, Russia, Scotland, Spain, Sweden, Australia, Hong Kong, Singapore, Taiwan, Japan, China, Thailand, Costa Rica, St. Maarten, Canada, Mexico

I know I'm missing a bunch but it's late and I have a wake-up call at 0500.

Message Edited by busywoman on 05-19-2008 10:28 PM
Message 17 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

i love the iguana.
Message 18 of 57
WhirledPeasPlease
Moderator Emeritus

Not as much as I'd like, but fav places that come to mind...

DC, NYC, St. Maarten, Puget Sound... and a nice log cabin in Brown County, IN.  Smiley Happy
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
From 700 in 2008 to 498 in 2012...
4/23/12 -- BK 13 date of filing EQ = 505
4/18/12 -- EQ 498
12/5/13 -- EQ 669
Here we go.... back on track.
Message 19 of 57
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Japan (two different occasions), Okinawa, Philippines, Korea, Germany, England, Spain, Norway.

Just about every state in the union, except the Dakotas, New Mexico and Wyoming, I think.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 849
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 20 of 57
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.