cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Much of our Beautiful World have you seen?

tag
wmarat
Valued Contributor

Re: How Much of our Beautiful World have you seen?

Ukraine, Russia, Hungary, Israel, Egypt, Cyprus, Rodos (Greece), Krit (Greece), Turkey, Spain, UK, Check Republic, Canada, USA ( NJ, NY, VA)
IN VINO VERITAS.
Message 21 of 57
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

Of all the places I've been (which really aren't that many), Australia by far has been the most beautiful place I've visited. Sydney, Melbourne, Queensland, and the Great Barrier Reef. I'm glad we splurged on a 3 night stay on Heron Island, a true coral island on the reef. There's not a day that passes that I don't think about going back.
Message 22 of 57
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Belgium, Germany, England, Amsterdam, Switzerland, Luxembourg, France, Austria.

In the USA: CA, AR, NV, NM, TX, WA, MS, LA, FL, WY, AL, OR, ID, CO, KS, OK, AZ, NY, NE, MT, UT, KS, GA and IL
Message 23 of 57
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@WhirledPeasPlease wrote:

Not as much as I'd like, but fav places that come to mind...

DC, NYC, St. Maarten, Puget Sound... and a nice log cabin in Brown County, IN. Smiley Happy

Brown County, the Indiana Alps!

I drove through there once on the way to Terre Haute, just to avoid Indianapolis. It's beautiful there! I don't understand why Hoosiers come to Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge when they have Brown County, it's so much prettier and less tacky. I think DD#1 went camping and canoeing there a few times.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 24 of 57
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

ByrdMan wrote:
Just about every state in the union, except the Dakotas,
I once had breakfast in Sioux City, lunch in Sioux Center and dinner in Sioux Falls, and never saw a single Sioux  Smiley Happy

And I went to Fargo in January, and I don't advise anyone else to do that  Smiley Sad
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 25 of 57
islandchild82
Frequent Contributor

haulingthescoreup wrote:

Favorites were New Zealand, the Austrian Alps, and Bangkok, although I wouldn't be able to handle Bangkok for too long these days. Smiley Sad But the open-air gem markets and the canals were amazing.

Hauling,

What did you love about NZ?

I haven't been anywhere, yet. But that is hopefully going to change this summer. I have plans to go to Mexico City to see the temples, museums, and university.

Then, I want to plan to go to New Zealand (my mom was born there) and Samoa (my grandparents were born there).
Message 26 of 57
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

islandchild82 wrote:

Lots of sheep and rugby  Smiley Very Happy

And LOTR was filmed there, to give you an idea of the scenery
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 27 of 57
islandchild82
Frequent Contributor

MidnightVoice wrote:

And LOTR was filmed there, to give you an idea of the scenery

I always think of that, lol.

I think my favorite thing, without having gone yet, may be the candy. Nothing like a good Milky Bar!
Message 28 of 57
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@islandchild82 wrote:

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

Favorites were New Zealand, the Austrian Alps, and Bangkok, although I wouldn't be able to handle Bangkok for too long these days. Smiley Sad But the open-air gem markets and the canals were amazing.

Hauling,

I haven't been anywhere, yet. But that is hopefully going to change this summer. I have plans to go to Mexico City to see the temples, museums, and university.

Then, I want to plan to go to New Zealand (my mom was born there) and Samoa (my grandparents were born there).

We stayed in Christchurch in late August (early spring), and it was just an extraordinarily beautiful place. Very English-looking in terms of the gardens and architecture; the river is even named the Avon, I think. First place I ever had scones! I don't like lamb, so that might be a bit of a challenge long-term.

People were very friendly, my mother was grateful for an English-speaking place for a change, it was very easy to get around on foot, by bicycle, by train. We went to Mt. Cook, where I skied for the first time (certain lack of opportunity to do this in Hawaii, unless you want to try the high, high altitudes on Mauna Kea.) I was about 15, and not big on tourism, but I liked the various Maori sites, since I had taken a semester of Polynesian history in ninth grade, and I was able to plug things in to my book learning.

But really, the landscape was just extraordinary. As MV said, Lord of the Rings was filmed there, although I don't know how much was on the South Island. I'm a complete and hopeless sucker for both mountains and the ocean, and that's quite a package deal there.

I remember reading once that when tensions in the US would rise due to the Cold War at first and then due to terrorism, enquiries about the cost of plane tickets and the possibilities of emigration to NZ and Australia always increased.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 29 of 57
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

My great great grandmother was a Sioux. Her name was Morningstar.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 30 of 57
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.