Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How did you get credit lucky?

tag
SecretAzure
Valued Contributor

How did you get credit lucky?

What was your accidental credit lucky moment? What did you app or not app for that ended up being a big win for you in your eyes?

Last year, I decided I wanted a card in the travel/dining section. I ended up comparing the cards below. Inevitably, I decided to not go with the best option based on my spend. By not selecting Uber (I went with Marvel), I ended up being saved from the terrible terms change they made some months later. That card would be getting almost no use from me at this point and I feel lucky not having chosen it.

Projected Spend Returns this Year:

Chase Freedom/Freedom Unlimited (Current)178.5 
Chase Sapphire Reserve 198.75
Chase Sapphire Preferred 152.5
Uber Credit Card 256.4
Marvel Mastercard 235.5
WF Propel 237

This was sort of a gut feeling that I could maybe make more consistent use out of the entertainment bonus as opposed to the travel bonuses of Uber and Propel. This year, pandemic...no travel, lots of extra digital spending. I really feel like I won a small personal lottery.

How about you?

"Show your thanks with action! Hit the "Kudos" button (the stripe with the star) for every post you find helpful to show your appreciation to the community of great individuals who help you on these forums" -Me

Active Cards: Chevron Texaco, Amex BCE, Barclays Ring, Chase Freedom, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Best Buy Visa, Marvel MCMust garden until 2/1/2022 to hit my goal AAOA. Smiley Indifferent
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: How did you get credit lucky?

I focus on getting a big SUB up front. If (when?) a card gets nerfed, I'm still comfortably ahead.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 2 of 11
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

I would say two major events.  NASA FCU preapproval mailer in 2015 that helped me to get started on paying off massive revolving debt.  Then Amex SPG in 2017 that I knew would be good, but didn't realize just HOW good until later; I earned $8000 or so in rewards in a 12 month period.  Don't imagine I'll ever be able to do that again, but it sure was fun while it lasted!

Message 3 of 11
SecretAzure
Valued Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

I would say two major events.  NASA FCU preapproval mailer in 2015 that helped me to get started on paying off massive revolving debt.  Then Amex SPG in 2017 that I knew would be good, but didn't realize just HOW good until later; I earned $8000 or so in rewards in a 12 month period.  Don't imagine I'll ever be able to do that again, but it sure was fun while it lasted!

Holy cow! I don't think I could dream up enough spend to earn $8K in anything. That's amazing. Congrats on your wins, especially getting your debt down!

"Show your thanks with action! Hit the "Kudos" button (the stripe with the star) for every post you find helpful to show your appreciation to the community of great individuals who help you on these forums" -Me

Active Cards: Chevron Texaco, Amex BCE, Barclays Ring, Chase Freedom, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Best Buy Visa, Marvel MCMust garden until 2/1/2022 to hit my goal AAOA. Smiley Indifferent
Message 4 of 11
TSlop
Valued Contributor

A big win for me was getting the 5% cashback on groceries for a year added to my recently-opened CFU. I app'd a week before the 5% offer was announced, and was pretty bummed. But fellow posters mentioned I should contact Chase, so I did, and they added on the promotion to my card.

Message 5 of 11
SecretAzure
Valued Contributor

@TSlop wrote:

A big win for me was getting the 5% cashback on groceries for a year added to my recently-opened CFU. I app'd a week before the 5% offer was announced, and was pretty bummed. But fellow posters mentioned I should contact Chase, so I did, and they added on the promotion to my card.

That's sweet! That's why I love these forums...you learn so much from people simply trying to do something that there isn't an expectation set for yet. And it works more often than would would think on their own.

Message 6 of 11
sxa001
Valued Contributor

The turning point for me was 2015, I took the dive and applied for the CSP, not really sure what they would offer me, I had been a Chase customer since 2010, but had no credit cards with them.  They approved me for 5K (their minimum amount).  This was after I ran into troubles in 2008 and it wasn't until 2014/2015 that I really started to take credit seriously.  Their trust in me though opened my doors to other lenders and I started getting offers.  

I don't know if I was lucky, but in a weird way getting that card really lit the fire for me to start doing the right stuff to maintain banking relationships and expand my credit worthiness.  Waiting for one BADDIE to fall off EQ.  It has been a fun journey. 

Message 7 of 11
ISawIt
Established Member

March of 2019 . . .It's after the holidays and I needed a good balance transfer card. My scores were teetering close to 700. I needed at least a $5000 limit. I think my highest credit limit at that time was 3,500. I decided to apply for the Navy Federal Platinum card. I thought calling would be better because I thought if I could calmly explain to the rep what I wanted to do, he would give me some consideration. After taking all of my information, he said I was approved for $25,000. All I actually heard was "I am approved". The $25,000 I thought I heard incorrectly, after all I had been under a lot of stress worrying about my finances. I actually thought he meant $2,500. So I decided to take it. Later I checked my email and it said $25,000. I sat frozen in front the computer reading it over and over. I still thought it was a mistake. I assumed he signed me up for an auto loan. A few days later, the card came in the mail. I activated it and the limit was truly $25,000. I was so happy, I was bursting at the seams and I wanted to share this fantastic news with someone, but I couldn't. To this date, I haven't told my husband, family, friends. . . I know they would be envious and would want me to 'share' my credit.

Message 8 of 11
Slabenstein
Valued Contributor

I guess it was a little bit of luck that Chase added 3% dining & pharmacy to the CFU a month after I got it.  I'd only really signed up for the SUB, but now I can justify it as a flat % rewards card AND a dining card. Smiley Very Happy

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I knew almost nothing about credit cards until only a few months ago. I had a friend in college... who had a friend... and he made the odd suggestion of keeping student loan accounts open with low balances and only making minimum payments. I asked why, and he explained that it could improve credit score while not racking up any real interest (due to low remaining balance). Oddly enough, I ended up doing this with 1/4 of my student loan accounts. 

I first asked my bank (Citizens Bank) if I could get a credit card in 2018. They said no because my credit score was too low. Fast forward 2 years later, where I have left open my student loan account to build credit. I walked into my bank to make a cash deposit one day, and they happen to inform me that I am pre-approved for a credit card. I took the brochure home and read through the card's terms and conditions, and decided to take one out for cashback on purchases.

Had I not heard that odd suggestion regarding student loan accounts from my friend's friend, then I likely would have closed all my accounts as soon as possible, and not built up the credit for the cashback card. I likely would have had to go with worse alternatives, such as a secured card or basic no reward cards. Now i have 4 cards all with good rewards, and I'm building revolving credit history. I have a plan to build up a card profile that will allow me to get 3-5% cashback on 90+% of my purchases, and 2% back on the rest. I also gained a good understanding of cards in the process and will be looking into opening up a business card come January.

If I had not heard that suggestion, it is very likely that I would still be paying for everything with cash/debit instead of building credit history and receiving monetary rewards in the process. If my bank did not inform me that I was pre-approved for a card, then I likely would never have ended up getting interested and learning more about cards in the first place. If I did not leave my student loan account open to build credit, then I likely would not have been pre-approved in the first place.

It's amazing how one short and seemingly weird conversation can make such a difference in life.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.