Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you treat App Itch?

tag
Curious_George2
Valued Contributor

How do you treat App Itch?

Let's say you are gardening and you feel the urge to app. What are some techniques you have successfully used to stay on the path of virtue? 

I'm new at this, but I have found some temporary relief in CLI's, opening a checking account with a debit card and a SUB, and PC'ing an existing card to something new.  One time I helped DW find and app for a card that filled a gap in our portfolio and had her add me as an AU.  I'd love to hear more ideas from the community.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How do you treat App Itch?

Whatever you do, no alcohol!  Stay away from prequals and probably these forums until sober....lol

Message 2 of 11
TattnallTrio
Frequent Contributor

I'm wondering the same thing. I will be satisfied if I'm approved for one thing. But if I get turned down then I go in a buzz and keep applying everywhere until I'm approved. 

Message 3 of 11
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Maybe keep a useless card or two open (assuming no AF) instead of closing it.

Then you can say to yourself, "Ugh. I have too many cards already!"

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discipline and determination really. There's no special "technique" I use.

And as long as the CLI's you request results in a SP than you're still technically gardening, however if it's a HP than there goes the garden! 

If you have enough discipline to avoid temptation and the determination to follow through with your goals, than you will be just fine! Good luck!

Message 5 of 11
blindambition
Senior Contributor

Turn to the next best itch!! boom-chicka-wow-wow 😳

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Being poor/broke works for me.  I don't have much incentive to app or request CLIs if I can't even fully utilize the credit I have now.

Frozen credit reports help too.  Too many hoops to jump through to make it worth the trouble even for a CLI.

Message 7 of 11
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Just tell yourself to get through the first month or two. The itch lessens after awhile lol. I will have been gardening for a full year in just a couple weeks. 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 13k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 8 of 11
seattletravels
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Whatever you do, no alcohol!  Stay away from prequals and probably these forums until sober....lol

This. Or at least avoid the Credit Card apps/approvals boards.

Last App: BECU 02-26-2020
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Message 9 of 11
NimbusIII
Frequent Contributor

Although it doesn't specify Apps it might be worth the try!61jpwXJuBwL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

In all seriousness have a goal, a need, or even a want other than credit cards that you want to achieve.  No then that any action you take by applying for something that isn't that goal is going to flush your dreams down the toilet! If that doesnt help then think of small fluffy animals having their lives snuffed out because your thinking of APPing.

“The man who says he can, and the man who says he can not… Are both correct.”
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.