Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many credit cards do you have?

tag
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

Re: How many credit cards do you have?

LOL, and then there are those of us who operate on the other end of the spectrum; I currently have three cards with a pitiful "low-5-figure credit limit", and other than maybe a Delta SkyMiles card, which because I burned AMEX in my Chapter 13 is probably unobtainium, I really have no need, want, or desire for any more cards or higher limits.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 11 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have 13. They are all cashback except my navy federal platinum card. I would love to pc my double cash to citi custom cash when its available. And I wonder what is going to happen to my beloved bbva clearpoints when it officially goes to pnc. I saw on the website I will get a package late aug on whats going on with the card.

Message 12 of 48
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

I agree that it's really subjective, and I don't think there's a one-size-fits-all answer.

Right now, I have 15 cards, and I have trouble juggling them. I keep a running log of credit card info (account numbers, expiration dates, due dates, etc., plus each month's payment info), and one section is devoted to keeping track of which card(s) to use soon or risk closure for inactivity. It's a hassle!

I totally get feeling that urge to accept/apply for a new, great card with an outstanding intro offer....but I REALLY don't want any more cards to juggle! If I had planned my cards out more intelligently, more informed, I'd only have a few and wouldn't be bothered by this annoyance every month. (I'm not closing anything, though, because I don't want to lose any history.)

I can't imagine how people with 50, 60, 80, or more cards manage them! 15 is too much bother for me, so I don't know...

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 13 of 48
Taurus22
Valued Contributor

@csryang   I am adding the Custom Cash as my primary Restaurant/Fast Food card. But there may be months where that versatile card might be used for Travel or Home Improvement instead. In that case, I would want a decent backup for Restaurant spend....hence, the USB AltGO.  It would also act as an overspill for the Custom Cash if I go over the $500 monthly cashback cap.

The AMEX BCP......where I live Walmart Marketplace codes as Grocery for me and is where we get the majority of our groceries, aside from Costco. As far as regular discount store Walmart spend, my AOD 3% is the best I have and I'm not willing to app for the Walmart MC.....just doesn't fit into my structure. (It's a Synchrony card, which is another topic entirely)

My Wallet
Sock Drawered

On Deck: No Plans Currently
Message 14 of 48
ambivalent
Established Contributor

I have 11 and an LOC. It is hard for me to keep up with these cards sometimes and they all carried a balance.  I've paid all off except for 2, which I *may* have for awhile.  My goal was to obtain 100k in unsecured credit, which I have, so I have no desire to obtain more.  I am super impressed with y'all who can juggle all these cards.  I had 3 cards closed from Comenity for inactivity LOL.

Aiming for 700 across FICO 8 and $150K TCL
Message 15 of 48
Yasselife
Valued Contributor

I diversify by having one card from each reputable lender. I'll try to not go over 10[currently 8], 0 annual fee/0 store cards. It's easy to manage for me using the Mint app [I check daily in case there are unauthorized charges]. I have a few subscriptions to keep them active, and use 2-4 for different spend categories. I'm a low spender btw but I like playing with them and take advantage of their 0% offers. If a new card comes out like Citi custom cash, I try to product change. Also by only having one card with each lender, I feel the limit increases are less risky than having multiple cards with HL... so far so good.

Just sharing my methods; the right amount of cards is what you feel comfortable having w/o stress and risk of losing control. I also do AZEO to keep all in order.

I hope this was useful.

Message 16 of 48
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Taurus22 wrote:

@csryang   I am adding the Custom Cash as my primary Restaurant/Fast Food card. But there may be months where that versatile card might be used for Travel or Home Improvement instead. In that case, I would want a decent backup for Restaurant spend....hence, the USB AltGO.  It would also act as an overspill for the Custom Cash if I go over the $500 monthly cashback cap.

The AMEX BCP......where I live Walmart Marketplace codes as Grocery for me and is where we get the majority of our groceries, aside from Costco. As far as regular discount store Walmart spend, my AOD 3% is the best I have and I'm not willing to app for the Walmart MC.....just doesn't fit into my structure. (It's a Synchrony card, which is another topic entirely)

Quick note, @Taurus22, the Walmart Mastercard is now issued by Capital One. Smiley Wink

Of course Capital One has their own quirks and I'm definitely not trying to advocate for it, but I figured I'd at least mention that it's no longer with Synchrony.  (FWIW, Sam's Club is still Synchrony.)

Message 17 of 48
Taurus22
Valued Contributor

You are 100% correct, that was a slip. Now thinking about it, I knew that....but it was instinct to still refer to Synch. I'm not really a fan of CapOne either so it's still a no-go for me.

Thanks for the correction on that.... Smiley Wink

My Wallet
Sock Drawered

On Deck: No Plans Currently
Message 18 of 48
Schwartzinator
Frequent Contributor

I'm sitting on 3 cards which is already about more than I want to manage.

Message 19 of 48
Trini88
Established Contributor

I have 7 credit cards.  1st credit card I got in late 2019, I did not want to try getting anymore in 2020 with everything going on. I got 6 cards this year. I think the cards I have are perfect for me. I use them every month, PIF. I don't know how people juggle more than 10 😂.

Goal Cards:
Message 20 of 48
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.