Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many credit cards do you have?

tag
Citylights18
Valued Contributor

Re: How many credit cards do you have?

I have 12 credit cards but out of that I only run a balance on 5 of them. TCL across the 12 is $222,600.

4 of them I PIF every month, the other one is a store card that I have a 0% APR promotion.

I pay $389 in AF across all that cards but that includes:

-Amazon Prime yearly membership ($119)

-Free night at Hyatt ($150-$350)

-Uber Eats pass ($120)

-AMEX offers ($50-$100)

-Chase offers ($50-$100)

-Loungebuddy ($100)

Conservatively at least $589 of direct perks against the $389 in AF that I pay.

Official travel point totals as of 12/26/23 (1,382,693 Total Points)
Chase Ultimate Rewards 661,525 | IHG One Rewards 144,443 | Hilton Honors 143,801 | AMEX Membership Rewards 102,729 | World of Hyatt 90,413 | Marriott Bonvoy 65,343 | Citi Thank You 62,712 | Wells Fargo Rewards 33,652 | Southwest Rapid Rewards 28,105 | United MileagePlus 13,316 | British Airways Avios 12,333 | Jet Blue TrueBlue 11,661 | NASA Platinum Rewards 1,883 | AA Advantage 1,744 | Navy Federal Rewards 792 | Delta Sky Miles 175 | Virgin Atlantic Virgin Points 100 | Lowes Business Rewards 6,992 ($69.92) | Amazon Rewards 475 ($4.75) | Discover CB 499 ($4.99)
Message 21 of 48
GatorGuy
Valued Contributor

@Citylights18 wrote:

I have 12 credit cards but out of that I only run a balance on 5 of them. TCL across the 12 is $222,600.

4 of them I PIF every month, the other one is a store card that I have a 0% APR promotion.

-Uber Eats pass ($120)

-AMEX offers ($50-$100)

-Chase offers ($50-$100)

-Loungebuddy ($100)

What card gives you an Amazon yearly membership?

Message 22 of 48
ACN323
Regular Contributor

I have 4 and 1 AU. I'm actually really overwhelmed and want to be down to just 2 or 3. I plan on downgrading my Amex Gold to the Green next year and downgrading my Delta Gold to the no fee Delta Blue or maybe just axing it all together. I can't juggle multiple cards. I have balances on every single one. Nothing too crazy, a couple hundred on each. But my plan is to sock drawer every single one minus the Amex charge and just use that. Kudos to those that can swing it. I just find it too much for me personally. 

Started at 490 in Dec.18’'
EX8 740 EQ 756 TU 753
Discover IT $4.7k
Apple Card $2.5k
Amex BCE $10k
Amex Delta Gold $15k
Citi LL Bean $5.4k
Synch Adorama $2k
Chase Sapphire Preferred $8.4k
Message 23 of 48
Aim_High
Super Contributor

I currently have 21 cards including one AU card that is not in my siggy and that I may not retain long term.  I've had credit cards for over 35 years and this is BY FAR the most cards I've ever had at one time.  Over time however, I've probably closed (or had closed) many more total cards than I have now for various reasons.  I have more cards now because I started redefining my card lineup a few years ago and got on My Fico, where I got a little carried away by the MY FICO EFFECT.  Lol Smiley Embarassed    My total credit limits are $588K, which is also BY FAR the largest in my life and honestly much more than I really need. 

I've experienced 21 cards and decided that even though that pales in comparison to some of our other members, it's more than I want to manage for the long term.  My goal has been to get very high limits with very few cards, and I've generally achieved that so far.   My average limit is about $28K but I want to drive it even higher.  While I do plan to add a few cards, I also plan to consolidate or close others so that in the end, I'll have no more than 12-15 cards.  Maybe less. 

I toyed with the idea of as little as three very-high limit cards by consolidating what I could on some of my best/favorite cards and closing others.  I could do it tomorrow if I wanted to, but I don't really want to pare down to that degree. I like the lender diversity, among other things, including the ability to get even better rewards with a few more cards.  Smiley Happy

My fewest high-limit card lineup would be:

American Express Gold (NPSL and $18K Pay-Over-Time)

• 4x MRs on Dining and Groceries (Uncapped / $25K annually)
  • 3x MRs on Flights (Uncapped)
  • 1x MRs on Everything Else
  • Premium Perks and AF credits

Chase Sapphire Reserve Visa Infinite   ($127.4K CL)

• 3x URs on Dining and Travel (Uncapped)
  • 1x UR on Everything else
  • Rewards with 50% or higher for Chase portal travel redemption or transfer to partners.
  • Premium Perks and credits

Bank Of America Premium Rewards Visa Signature ($99.9K CL)

• With Preferred Rewards Platinum Honors ....
  • 3.5% uncapped cash back on dining and travel
  • 2.625% on everything else

If I wanted to add in a Mastercard and Discover for more network Flexibility, I could add my:

Goldman Sachs Apple Mastercard  ($30K)

• 3% at Apple, Walgreen's, other selected retailers
  • 2% anywhere with Apple Pay
  • 1% elsewhere

Discover IT ($50K)

• 5% on rotating categories
  • 1% anything else

While it's a very clean lineup, and I have to admit it's quite tempting, I doubt that I would ever take things to that degree slimming down. 

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$850K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Aug 2023)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 24 of 48
KatSoDak
Frequent Contributor

@GatorGuy wrote:

@Citylights18 wrote:

-Uber Eats pass ($120)

-AMEX offers ($50-$100)

-Chase offers ($50-$100)

-Loungebuddy ($100)

What card gives you an Amazon yearly membership?

This year NFCU Flagship reimbursed membership if you paid with the card.

FICO 8:

EQ FICO 9 - 770
EX FICO 9 - 758

Citi (2) | Discover | HSBC | BOA | NFCU (2) | WF (2) | Simmons Bank | FNBO (2) | PENFED | BBVA | US Bank | Lowes | Care Credit | Home Depot AU
Message 25 of 48
Wavester64
Valued Contributor

@RT209 wrote:

How many is too much? I have a total of 14 cards, totaling up to almost 130K in credit limit between all cards. My utilization all together is only around 4%. Obviously, I don't need any more cards, but the urge to grab more utilization when i can gets me every time. Haha. 

My Sig tells no lies Smiley LOL

Potential Future Cards
Message 26 of 48
RSX
Valued Contributor

i have 13 plus 2 LOC totalling $245k CL

i closed 4 in 2019

in addtion to the 4 that Sync closed for me, i closed my Wells Fargo CC and LOC in 2020 (moved to US Bank. -no more Wells accts needed)

I did get 3 new ones this year that suit my spending better - ultimately i would like to be down to about 8 or 9, so i am working on pushing up the CL on the ones that i can

i have a good spread across the lenders - a couple seem strange, but i like CU1 for their car loan refinancing - so i keep their $9k CC 

I will see what is happening with HSBC before i close down that LOC and CC 

i do find it a small challenge to manage - but not too much or i would start closing more

Dec 16/2019. EX. 721. EQ. 723. TU 746
Jan 25/2024 EX. 774 EQ. 751 TU 758
Inq. EX 2 EQ 3 TU 6 - - CC 2x24, 0x12
Amex BCP $35k - Apple GS $21k - BMW/Elan $19k - Cap1 QS $16.7k - Chase Amazon $13.6k - Chase Bonvoy Bountiful $10k - Chase United Club Infinite $26k - Citi CustomCash $3k - Citi DC $14.5k - CreditUnion1 $9k - DiscoverIT $31.5k - PayBoo - $15.6k - Penfed Gold - $19.3k - USB AltitudeGO -$19k- USBank Cash+ -$25k - PenFed LOC - $20k - USB LOC - $15k
Message 27 of 48
minski
Established Contributor

More than I want - 17, 18 if you count Blispay. I am waiting for 2 to close from non-use. I don't want to get rid of the cards I have, though, and I get tempted by new cards although I don't need them nor want to juggle more cards.
Message 28 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Aim_High

You may want to add into your mix aesthetics! Keep some eye appeal? Smiley Sad

Message 29 of 48
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Aim_High
You may want to add into your mix aesthetics! Keep some eye appeal? Smiley Sad

Thanks @Anonymous but not sure:  do you mean more colors for eye appeal or just not so few cards?! Smiley Tongue  Those five from the aesthetics standpoint would give me a gold, blue, grey, white, and garnet so it would seem a little more mixture than my previous color pallette of blue and silver/grey! 

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$850K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Aug 2023)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 30 of 48
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.