cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many credit cards do you think is too many?

tag
MyWorthiness
Established Member

How many credit cards do you think is too many?

Hello everyone! Just wanted to know your answers are to this question. How many credit cards do you have and how many do you think is too many?

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
MrCrabs
Regular Contributor

Re: How many credit cards do you think is too many?

I have been searching stuff on credit like crazy the past few months, and stumbled on a youtube video of a guy who says he has around 22 cards or so. I would say that's a bit excessive lol

Capital One Platinum | $1,500Discover IT | $1,800Victoria's Secret Angel VIP | $500Citi Secured | $200
Message 2 of 25
MyWorthiness
Established Member

Well I have 21. LOL. I use them all for different things though. I take advantage of cash back and other rewards and i earn money to do other things with...very beneficial in my opinion. Would you mind if I ask how many do you have? 

Message 3 of 25
red259
Super Contributor

I currently have 8 cards (7 personal and one biz). That being said there is no right or wrong answer. Its however many cards you are comfortable with and can handle. There are people with 20+ cards and others with 3. Personally for me I am most comfortable in the 7 to 10 cards range. I never get a card just for the sake of getting a card. Every card I apply for meets a specific need of mine. Also, I am willing to dump cards with AFs if I do not see the value in them. You should reassess your cards every year and make sure they still work for you. The problem with having too many cards is that it can be hard to manage all the cards and AFs can add up quickly if you have cards with AFs on them. . 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 4 of 25
MrCrabs
Regular Contributor

Wow, I don't know how you can keep track of all of those cards! I think the other guy mentioned similar things about different cards being better in certain situations, So I can understand that, just seems like a lot of cards to manage(for me anyway). I personally only have 2, a Cap1 Secured card($200), and just got a fingerhut freshstart card($230), my score is only 571 so I am long way off from getting any of the good cards like most of you guys/gals here have.

Capital One Platinum | $1,500Discover IT | $1,800Victoria's Secret Angel VIP | $500Citi Secured | $200
Message 5 of 25
MyWorthiness
Established Member

Thanks for your reply! I totally agree with you! I'm very good with organizing and keeping track of my credit card bills. I make a graph every month to sort things out. You are so right about getting rid of cards that arent beneficial as well.

Message 6 of 25
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

I have 10 cards in total ... 8 Credit cards and 2 store cards. Probably going to app for 1 or 2 more cards one of them will be the CSP 

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 7 of 25
MyWorthiness
Established Member

Yes I think that people should get only what they can handle. I'm very good with organizing my credit cards. I make a graph every month with balances and payments I need to make. Its good to stay organized because I like to make sure that I'm always under my 30% for my utilization. Just take your time and move at your own pace.

Message 8 of 25
MyWorthiness
Established Member

You have a nice line up! I wish someone could tell me how to add photos of my cards. Would you mind telling me how to add my cards? Thanks

Message 9 of 25
MrCrabs
Regular Contributor

I was wondering the same thing haha! Yes, I would also like to know how to add cards to my posts as well.

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.