cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many times a day do you start your car?

tag
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: How many times a day do you start your car?

Oh, and my car is designed for spirited driving and is recommended by the manufacturer. So, sport mode is on and I'm driving like I stole it.

Message 21 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

Third page and not a mention of a hybrid?

Depending on driving conditions, a hybrid engine can stop and start 100 times in a mile.

With regular recommended maintainence determined by the manufacturer, engines are durable for the most part (aside from a lemon)

Message 22 of 36
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

Throw some synthetic oil in there and you'll be good for 10k miles easy. Since I drive less than 10k miles a year, I only have to change my oil twice every few years, but I'll usually do it twice a year only to keep it fresh, but I really don't have to.

Cars and engines aren't like they used to be. Modern engines shouldn't be warmed up. They're designed for you to start driving immediately. My Mazda takes maybe a minute to reach operating temperature, maybe. BMW recommends 15k miles between synthetic oil changes. You really don't have to baby them. You're just throwing money away. 

Thanks! I knew you’d have good input. Oh, I definitely do use full-synthetic oil, but I still change the oil every 3k lol Interesting that you talked about “operating temperature.” I have heard that a lot lately, especially regarding the “break-in” period of a new car. I’ve been told that one shouldn’t do short trips that don’t allow the engine to reach “full operating temperature.” So you’re saying that it takes only a minute or so to get up to full operating temperature? I assumed it took like 10 miles or more.... 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 23 of 36
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Third page and not a mention of a hybrid?

Depending on driving conditions, a hybrid engine can stop and start 100 times in a mile.

With regular recommended maintainence determined by the manufacturer, engines are durable for the most part (aside from a lemon)

I’m not a huge fan of hybrids personally. That makes me cringe thinking about that much stop-start lol What do you drive?

Message 24 of 36
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@pinkandgrey wrote:

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

Throw some synthetic oil in there and you'll be good for 10k miles easy. Since I drive less than 10k miles a year, I only have to change my oil twice every few years, but I'll usually do it twice a year only to keep it fresh, but I really don't have to.

Cars and engines aren't like they used to be. Modern engines shouldn't be warmed up. They're designed for you to start driving immediately. My Mazda takes maybe a minute to reach operating temperature, maybe. BMW recommends 15k miles between synthetic oil changes. You really don't have to baby them. You're just throwing money away. 

Thanks! I knew you’d have good input. Oh, I definitely do use full-synthetic oil, but I still change the oil every 3k lol Interesting that you talked about “operating temperature.” I have heard that a lot lately, especially regarding the “break-in” period of a new car. I’ve been told that one shouldn’t do short trips that don’t allow the engine to reach “full operating temperature.” So you’re saying that it takes only a minute or so to get up to full operating temperature? I assumed it took like 10 miles or more.... 

My car doesn't have a temperature gauge. The temp light changes on status.

Blue = warming up

Green = good

Orange = temp rising

Red = overheating

The blue changes before I make it a block. Usually in half a block.

Message 25 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

First of all, just think if UPS and FedEx trucks can be shut off and on every 15 feet starter manufacturers must can make starters which can handle the wear and tear.

I ride a bicycle everywhere.  I noticed cars seems to be cutting off and starting again once the light turned green.  I had no idea new cars were programmed to do this until recently.  In NYC they will write you a ticket if you get out of your car and leave it idling without shutting it off so I think the gub'ment really came up with this standard for the environment and not for the consumer's gas mileage.  Did they force you to wear a seatbelt because they care about you?  Or did they force you to wear a seatbelt because insurance companies lobbied Congress so they could cut down on payments to family members whose relatives died in a car crash while not wearing a seatbelt?

Also, I think you can manually shut off the feature which shuts your car down every time you stop.

Message 26 of 36
iced
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

First of all, just think if UPS and FedEx trucks can be shut off and on every 15 feet starter manufacturers must can make starters which can handle the wear and tear.

I ride a bicycle everywhere.  I noticed cars seems to be cutting off and starting again once the light turned green.  I had no idea new cars were programmed to do this until recently.  In NYC they will write you a ticket if you get out of your car and leave it idling without shutting it off so I think the gub'ment really came up with this standard for the environment and not for the consumer's gas mileage.  Did they force you to wear a seatbelt because they care about you?  Or did they force you to wear a seatbelt because insurance companies lobbied Congress so they could cut down on payments to family members whose relatives died in a car crash while not wearing a seatbelt?

Also, I think you can manually shut off the feature which shuts your car down every time you stop.

Given that seat belt laws vary from state to state, I'm going to go out on a limb and say the lobbying attempts on Congress haven't borne much fruit.

Message 27 of 36
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thankfully my car doesn’t have that feature! I suppose my concern is more for the engine than for the starter, but your FedEx/UPS example still stands I guess lol 

Message 28 of 36
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Schwartzinator wrote:

I traded in the BMW for the Tesla. 

Acura went to Carvana when I bought my own Tesla, and actually if that picture and label in your siggy is accurate we're twins except I picked mine up in blue.

Totally not missing oil changes and what not, or the gas bill.

        
Message 29 of 36
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@pinkandgrey wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thankfully my car doesn’t have that feature! I suppose my concern is more for the engine than for the starter, but your FedEx/UPS example still stands I guess lol 

I wouldn't worry about it. Cars have had cylinder deactivation for years. From chrysler and ram to Mercedes and lamborghini. If you're not familiar with it, the engine will shut off half the cylinders when not needed and kick them back on when you do. If something like that isn't destroying engines, stopping all of them intermittently won't. 

Message 30 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.