cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much personal money do you keep as cash or equivalents?

tag
HiLine
Blogger

How much personal money do you keep as cash or equivalents?

I'm trying to balance between the money to invest and the money to keep in a safe place, i.e, an insured deposit account. How much of your money is allocated to the latter? 1k, 10k, or more? I frankly have no idea what's a good or typical amount would be. Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
KaLin
Administrator Emeritus

Re: How much personal money do you keep as cash or equivalents?

I've always gone on the premise that it's a good idea to have 6 months' worth of income in an account that's readily available if needed and to invest anything over that.

Message 2 of 8
oscar_actuary
Frequent Contributor

IMO it really depends on a lot of factors

- stability of income: profession, location, ability to get similar pay quickly, other sources of income (spouse?)

- number of folks to support

- flexibility of expenses, or how fast you could down size

- other?

Keep in mind with a ROTH IRA there is no penalty or taxes to pay for withdrawing your contributions any time.  So that can work as a dual account.

For me, I keep minimal in personal short term accounts because I hate car debt and recently went from 25 yrs left to 12 on the home.  So, CF is a bit tighter.  I may be too confident in my employment.

FICO EX 827, 2015 Feb; FICO EQ 836/900 (Citi), 2014 Dec; FICO TU08 818, 2015 Feb.

BofA Cash Rwrds Sig V 2013 10k; Fidelity Rewards AmEx /BofA 2013 15.4k; Chase Freedom Sig V 2002 24.1k; Chase Amazon Rwrds Sig V 2011 8k; Sam's Club MC 2002 10k; Dscvr It 2012 10k; Citi Dvdnd Plat Sel V 2013 8.9k; PenFed Plat Rwrds V 2013 20k; AmEx Blue Sky 2013 11.3k; AmEx BCP 2014 24.1k; Priceline Rwrds Sig V 2013 8.7k; PayPal Xtras GE Cap Plat MC 2012 5k

Message 3 of 8
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@KaLin wrote:

I've always gone on the premise that it's a good idea to have 6 months' worth of income in an account that's readily available if needed and to invest anything over that.

This is what the military suggests also.  But apparently the ones that make this suggestion have never actually been in the military.

Message 4 of 8
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

LOL... I was about to say... Pretty damn cheap living on a cutter a few months a year. Smiley Very Happy

Message 5 of 8
HiLine
Blogger

@oscar_actuary wrote:

- stability of income: profession, location, ability to get similar pay quickly, other sources of income (spouse?)

- other?

Keep in mind with a ROTH IRA there is no penalty or taxes to pay for withdrawing your contributions any time.  So that can work as a dual account.

For me, I keep minimal in personal short term accounts because I hate car debt and recently went from 25 yrs left to 12 on the home.  So, CF is a bit tighter.  I may be too confident in my employment.

Being an actuary will keep you employed for a while! Smiley Wink Say I have a stable job and only myself to support, am very flexible about expenses (don't have a car and can cook if necessary) and live in a rather high COL area. What do you say would be a good way to estimate cash reserve? Smiley Happy

@KaLin wrote:

6 month's worth of income is about all I have right now ...

@guiness56 wrote:

@KaLin wrote:

This is what the military suggests also.  But apparently the ones that make this suggestion have never actually been in the military.

Huh?

Message 6 of 8
oscar_actuary
Frequent Contributor

@HiLine wrote:

Being an actuary will keep you employed for a while! Smiley Wink Say I have a stable job and only myself to support, am very flexible about expenses (don't have a car and can cook if necessary) and live in a rather high COL area. What do you say would be a good way to estimate cash reserve? Smiley Happy

@ guiness56 wrote:

Huh?

probably referring to low pay for militray; thus difficult to save

For your situation, it depends.  How stable and how replaceable is the income.  At a min, I'd imagine 3 months of living lean..  Just a guess.

FICO EX 827, 2015 Feb; FICO EQ 836/900 (Citi), 2014 Dec; FICO TU08 818, 2015 Feb.

BofA Cash Rwrds Sig V 2013 10k; Fidelity Rewards AmEx /BofA 2013 15.4k; Chase Freedom Sig V 2002 24.1k; Chase Amazon Rwrds Sig V 2011 8k; Sam's Club MC 2002 10k; Dscvr It 2012 10k; Citi Dvdnd Plat Sel V 2013 8.9k; PenFed Plat Rwrds V 2013 20k; AmEx Blue Sky 2013 11.3k; AmEx BCP 2014 24.1k; Priceline Rwrds Sig V 2013 8.7k; PayPal Xtras GE Cap Plat MC 2012 5k

Message 7 of 8
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@HiLine wrote:

@oscar_actuary wrote:

- other?

@KaLin wrote:

6 month's worth of income is about all I have right now ...

@guiness56 wrote:

@KaLin wrote:

Huh?

This is what the financial advisors tell you.  Military members don't make as much as some suggest.  Our pay still falls short of the outside pay by a bit.  As a single parent with 2 kids it was impossible for me to save even near that much.  Even though you get money for housing, it was never intended to pay all rent and utilities, only a portion.  While you do get more for higher cost of living areas, the rent is also high.  And in lower cost of living areas you get a lot less.  If you live on base, you still pay in some areas.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.