Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Set up HULU on LG Smart TV

tag
IncrsCreditScore
Established Contributor

How to Set up HULU on LG Smart TV

I feel so stupid.  Subscribed to HULU for the first time (first time for anything other than cable TV).  Afterwards, discovered that neither of my LG Smart TVs have HULU loaded.  I just can't figure out what I need to do to be able to watch HULU on either TV.  Any advice from y'all will certainly be appreciated.  TIA

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
IntegerIntrovert
Frequent Contributor

Re: How to Set up HULU on LG Smart TV

Do you know the model number/name of your tv?

EQ - 809 / TU - 817 / EX - 817

Message 2 of 13
IncrsCreditScore
Established Contributor

I could find the model number on one, but not the other. 

The newest one is of the UF7690 Series.

The oldest one is Model 42LN5700.

Message 3 of 13
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

First thing is to check if your TV supports the Hulu app.

Go under Settings -> General -> scroll down to About Your TV and check your version of WebOS. 

Then go here to confirm your model is supported and if it is, how to download and install the app.

https://help.hulu.com/s/article/supported-lg

If it isn't supported there are still other possibilities, for example if you're an Amazon Prime member you can get a Firestick to run the app. 

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 4 of 13
IncrsCreditScore
Established Contributor

@coldfusion wrote:

First thing is to check if your TV supports the Hulu app.

Go under Settings -> General -> scroll down to About Your TV and check your version of WebOS. 

Then go here to confirm your model is supported and if it is, how to download and install the app.

https://help.hulu.com/s/article/supported-lg

If it isn't supported there are still other possibilities, for example if you're an Amazon Prime member you can get a Firestick to run the app. 

Thank you so very much, @coldfusion.  Both TVs have a version of WebOS 2 and no updates available, so I am out of luck there.  However, I will gladly get a Firestick from Amazon.  Can you advise me how to set that up, please.

Message 5 of 13
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

You'll want to read both of these articles before spending any money.  Also, you'll want to have a 5 GHz WiFi network available, while 2.4 GHz is supported IME you're more likely to have bandwidth issues with the wireless connection.

https://www.firesticktricks.com/how-to-set-up-amazon-fire-tv-stick-for-first-time.html

Hulu as well as the directly competing services like Sling or YouTubeTV are legitimate streaming services so while the instructions try to push VPN services IMO that leans toward being overkill.     

https://www.techradar.com/news/hulu-on-fire-stick

A bit more specific on the app search, from the main Firestick page you would select "Find" from the left middle, then "Search", then start picking the characters "H-U-L-U" then scroll down to select "Hulu".  The screen should refresh giving you the option to Download.  

Once installed you would start up the app and enter your login credentials.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 6 of 13
IncrsCreditScore
Established Contributor

Thank you so much for those links.  Will read them tomorrow.  Started reading a few minutes ago and realized I was absorbing nothing.  Have been awake since 1:30 this morning.  I sure do appreciate your willingness to share and help.

Message 7 of 13
NRB525
Super Contributor

We had a Samsung TV that was a few years old, but didn't have many of the fun connection features or newer apps available. Close, but old. I looked at the possibilities to add tech to it, but it would just add more dongles and complicated connections that are unlikely to work consistently. 

So we bought a new Samsung TV with more modern capability. Sold the old one for a reasonable price, and we are much happier now. 

I am starting my 2022 To Do list : Find the next upgrade TV.
Much like iPhones and PC's, updated tech is fun.   

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 8 of 13
IncrsCreditScore
Established Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

We had a Samsung TV that was a few years old, but didn't have many of the fun connection features or newer apps available. Close, but old. I looked at the possibilities to add tech to it, but it would just add more dongles and complicated connections that are unlikely to work consistently. 

So we bought a new Samsung TV with more modern capability. Sold the old one for a reasonable price, and we are much happier now. 

I am starting my 2022 To Do list : Find the next upgrade TV.
Much like iPhones and PC's, updated tech is fun.   

Agree with you.   But just not in a position to purchase new TV right now, @NRB525.

@coldfusion, one of my grandkids had a brand new unopened Firestick and brought it over to me today.  I have printed the instructions from the links you sent to me and am going to try hooking up tonight.  Wish me luck. 

I had to print out the instructions simply because I am one of those people who needs to refer back and forth and paper works better for me in that kind of situation.  Wish me luck.

Message 9 of 13
IncrsCreditScore
Established Contributor

@coldfusion, got the Fire TV Stick loaded, but now I can't highlight a language to select it.  I have gone to Amazon and could find not answer, so posted a question on the Fire TV forum, but absolutely no response.  Found out the Firestick is an older one even though brand new.  Don't really know how old, but it was purchased directly from Amazon.  Do you have any thoughts on what the problem can be?

By the way, the instruction link you sent me was so helpfu.  Don't think I could have gotten as far as I did without those printed instructions. 

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.