Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to avoid Chase Manual Review - My thoughts

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How to avoid Chase Manual Review - My thoughts

I’ve found that throughout my 4 Chase applications that manual review is more common than not. Only 1 of my 4 chase apps (the CSP) was instantly approved, while the other 3 went into pending and I had to call to get them approved. Through this process, I believe I figured out how Chase manual review works and how to avoid it as best as possible. My definition of manual review in this case is having to call or write to Chase because your application wasn’t instantly approved by the computer systems, therefore, additional information is needed to process the application.

1) It always makes sense to apply using the “Sign in to Apply Faster” button. If you’re already a Chase customer, I found that using this button is way easier because it prevents any inconsistencies between the information Chase has on file for you and the information you’re using to apply for the card. In these cases I found it only asks for income, social, etc to process the application.

For example, I used this for 2 of my Chase apps (one of which was the CSP) and found that it made approvals a lot easier. I asked a Chase credit analyst one time what exactly they look for when manual review is required and they said they cross reference the info on your application to the info on your other Chase accounts like address, DOB, etc., and if there is a discrepancy, they request documents to prove the info. For people who are already Chase customers, using that button when applying makes things easier for an instant approval in my opinion. Which brings me to my second point...

2) Having a banking relationship with Chase before a credit card is going to help. I think if Chase has your information on file in their system, it makes approvals easier. For example, I applied for my first Chase card, the freedom, and had a difficult time getting it because I was a brand new chase customer. But shortly after, I opened a Chase checking. When I went to apply for other cards, the approval process was way smoother because they already had information on file for me so the “fraud prevention” team wasn’t hounding me with questions.

These thoughts are in no way the end all be all for Chase approvals because as always YMMV! However, for myself and a few others in my life, I’ve found these tips help push credit card applications through with little/no manual review.
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How to avoid Chase Manual Review - My thoughts

IME avoiding apps w/in 30 days of each other even though a CLI shouldn't be considered an app vs a new card.  I got flagged and had to call on this when 6 months earlier apped for 2 cards same day and didn't have any issues.

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got my first Chase card in August (Bonvoy) and then applied for my second in September (CSR). Instant approvals for both. Probably about 35 days between apps. I have no current or past history with Chase. I also haven't applied for a new credit card in over 5 years.

I'm sure there are lots of factors that go into the decision for a manual review.
Message 3 of 13
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

Thanks OP for your thoughts. Every bit of information helps

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Definitely lots of factors that go into Chase manual review. I think a lot of the manual review process is verification and fraud prevention. The credit analyst was telling me that the computer system generates the credit limit, APR, etc and issues the approval, but then it flags if there are issues with address discrepancies, DOB, SSN, etc. which means an analyst needs to look at the applicant’s credit report and other chase cards to verify against the application.

It’s good to know that the chase underwriters DONT calculate the credit and issue the approval! That would definitely be scary to think your credit limit is in the hands of the actions person your talking to on the phone.

Any other manual review stories/thoughts?
Message 5 of 13
zerofire
Valued Contributor

There is a very simple process to avoid manual reviews. Clean up your report to only have your real address, name, and other identifiers. So if a lender had a mispelling at one time have that removed. Be consistent on how you write your address and name in legal form. If your name is Robert do not put down Bert, Bob, or Rob. For addresses do not expand the extension but do expand the name so you have 123 Boulevard and not 123 Blvd as well as 123 Lane 99 not 123 Ln Ninety Nine. Compress numbers so One New Rd is 1 New Rd. Last but not least make sure you have a high credit score so the computer just spits out an approval instead of getting stuck between a higher credit line with high APR or lower credit line with low APR. Use of the login to speed up application is fair game to simplify these checks.

TU:837 09/19/23 Bank of America--EX: 841 09/20/23 Experian--EQ:832 09/21/23 myFICO--Gardening since N/A
Active:
Bank of America (Unlimited Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards VSC), Capital One Walmart WMC, Chase(Amazon Prime VSC, Freedom Flex WEMC [x2], Freedom Unlimited VC), Citi Dividend MC, Citizens GreenSense MC, Curve WEMC, Discover It C, FNBO Ducks Unlimited VSC, PenFed (Platinum Rewards VSC, Pathfinder Rewards VSC), Synchrony Bank PayPal Cashback MC, UMB Bank Simply Rewards VC[Milford Federal], US Bank (Altitude Go VSC, Cash+ VSC [x2], Pick n Save/Metro Market WEMC)
Wishlist: AAA Daily Advantage Visa, AOD Signature, Bellco Colorado Rewards, Citi Custom Cash, EBates, Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards, Ollo Optimum, Redstone Signature, Security Service Power Travel Rewards, Vantage West Connect Rewards
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@zerofire

Completely agree. Your report should really only contain the most recent 1-2 addresses you have and one form of name. For example, If you regularly use the middle initial (if you have one) in your credit applications, then it should be the only form of name on your report. The more variations of name and address there are, the more likely the computer is going to push to manual review for fraud purposes.

I also had to go through manual review applying for a Citi card and I asked the credit analyst what they look at and he said “we just need to verify you are the correct person applying for the card. All credit decisions have already been made.”

IMO manual review is probably a good thing because it means the credit decision has been made and they’re just making sure you are who you say you are. If the decision was a denial, they wouldn’t bother doing manual review Smiley Happy
Message 7 of 13
Remedios
Credit Mentor

You're missing one important part there. In majority of cases, there is no incorrect info present 

In the absence of fraud, it's not about verifying your address. It's verifying it's you who applied, by demanding documents only applicant would have. 

Sure, recent moves, new addresses, miskeyed data can trip it, but in most instances, it's about prevention. 

Also, ID verification is not a manual review. Manual review is a human being determining if you should be approved or not. 

Several possibilities how it may play out :

ID verification followed by approval/denial without manual review 

ID verification followed by manual application review leading to approval/denial

Manual review without ID verification

Those terms should not be used interchangeably. 

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Remedios,

I don’t know if manual review where a credit analyst actually approves or denies you actually happens. I have heard from credit analysis I’ve spoken to that the computer determines all credit decisions and the manual review happens if the computer flags something. I think once the flagged item is addressed, the analyst requests the computer to reprocess the application.

I think a true credit underwrite might happen if you escalate your denied application to a senior analyst and ask for reconsideration. At that point I guess they would have to override the computer in a true underwrite.

I’m an underwriter for commercial lines of credit and rarely deviate from what my computer system spits out.
Message 9 of 13
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
Remedios,

I don’t know if manual review where a credit analyst actually approves or denies you actually happens. I have heard from credit analysis I’ve spoken to that the computer determines all credit decisions and the manual review happens if the computer flags something. I think once the flagged item is addressed, the analyst requests the computer to reprocess the application.

I think a true credit underwrite might happen if you escalate your denied application to a senior analyst and ask for reconsideration. At that point I guess they would have to override the computer in a true underwrite.

I’m an underwriter for commercial lines of credit and rarely deviate from what my computer system spits out.

Application gets flagged for manual review for something present either  on CR or internal records. 

From that point on, human interference is required.  Humans can and do make decisions, tho often machine has made recommendation, but again, human needs to yay or nay. 

I'm not sure what you mean by "I don’t know if manual review where a credit analyst actually approves or denies you actually happens" 

That's the actual manual review. 

Of course it happens. 

Everything you've described above only relates to identity verification. 

I think you have Chase mistaken for other lenders that do not perform manual reviews such as Cap One, Synch etc 

You did put Chase in title

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.