cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How would you feel about a credit card that...

tag
randeman
Frequent Contributor

How would you feel about a credit card that...

...required you to spend $5000 a month, but had to be PIF before the due date.  Then you get $250 back when PIF.  That is the only perk.  Most of us would have to use that card exclusively.  If so, fewer/no other perks from other cards.

Experian Score: 689--Amex 27 July 2014; Equifax Score 680--MyFICO--17 September 2014; TransUnion Score 718-Discover 20 August 2014--PUH-RAISE JESUS, I finally broke 700!!! Cards and Credit Lines: Escape by Discover, Chase Freedom Signature Visa, Chase United MileagePlus Explorer Signature Visa, Chase Sapphire Preferred Signature Visa, Barclay's Holland America Visa, Citibank Custom Credit Line, Paypal Custom Connect Credit Line, Bloomingdale's, Macy's Premier Elite, Amazon Store Card, Lord & Taylor, Nordstrom, Discover It, Gold Delta SkyMiles from American Express, PayPal BML.
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: How would you feel about a credit card that...

It effectively wouldn't be a credit card.  Any only 5% for all that?  Might be worth it if it covered all spend with no caps.

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

5% isn't bad all things considering, unless I'm missing something. In my case, though, I don't have $5 worth of CC spend/month, so ...

Message 3 of 10
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

That level of spend monthly would require some major baller status to make that much net income, not including Morgage, and auto loan. Unless some MS was happening. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jamesdwi wrote:

That level of spend monthly would require some major baller status to make that much net income, not including Morgage, and auto loan. Unless some MS was happening. 

That's true. My net income is a bit above $5k, but I'm limited to only being able to use my CC for anywhere from 3-5 bills per month because they're the only merchants that allow CC payments. If you could pull it off, though, I could see it being worthwhile. At $250/month, that's an extra $3k per year in your pocket, simply for paying with plastic.

Message 5 of 10
TheConductor
Established Contributor

It's interesting that this question is phrased "How would you feel", not "What would you think".

If there's one piece of advice I could give the whole world about money, it would be to stop making financial decisions with your emotions and start making them rationally.

Anyway, on the topic at hand, a 5% reward rate all the time sounds great, but it would only make sense if your monthly spend is legitimately that high.

Suppose your monthly spend is typically $4k, but you bump it up to $5k so you can get that so-called "reward". As a consequence, you accumulate a lot of stuff you don't need. You have to pay for the space to store that stuff, and you have to pay to maintain it. Your reward is actually costing you money,

Moreover, you have to consider the opportunity cost. What else could you do with that money? Investing it in a simple index fund would make you more than 5% - the S&P 500 returns more than 6% annualized on average. And investing it more aggressively could make you a lot more than that. What about putting it into your 401k and getting matching funds from your employer because you haven't maxed out your matching yet? Those matched dollars are returning 100% instantaneously - spending them to get 5% back would have been a huge waste of a much better reward. Or you could invest those dollars in building or expanding your own business...if you weren't spending them on frivolous stuff.

So sure, I'd "feel" great about such a card if I already consistently spent enough on credit-eligible expenses for the reward to genuinely be rewarding.  But since I don't, the reward is no reward at all. 

Starting: EQ 622 (myFICO 7/7/12), EX 696 (TU FAKO 8/14/12), TU 621 (CK TransRisk 7/24/12), Total CL $1k on 2 TLs
Current: EQ 709 (CCT 2/4/15), EX 704 (CCT 2/4/15) , TU 702 (CCT 2/4/15), Total CL $110.3k on 14 TLs Goal: 740+ x3
My Wallet: Amex BCP $30k, Chase United Explorer $16k, Amex SPG $13.5k, Barclaycard Ring MC $12.5k, Chase CSP VS $12.2k, Discover it $10.5k, C1 Venture VS $6.5k, Chase Slate $3.5k, Amex Hilton Surpass $2k, Barclaycard Apple V $2k, Chase Freedom V $1100, BoA Cash Rewards V $500, Citi BestBuy $500
My Loans: Prosper $25k/36mo, Prosper $17k/36mo
My Business: Chase Ink VS $5k, Amex BRG NPSL (> 10k),
Message 6 of 10
afinch1992
Regular Contributor

@TheConductor wrote:

It's interesting that this question is phrased "How would you feel", not "What would you think".

If there's one piece of advice I could give the whole world about money, it would be to stop making financial decisions with your emotions and start making them rationally.

Anyway, on the topic at hand, a 5% reward rate all the time sounds great, but it would only make sense if your monthly spend is legitimately that high.

Suppose your monthly spend is typically $4k, but you bump it up to $5k so you can get that so-called "reward". As a consequence, you accumulate a lot of stuff you don't need. You have to pay for the space to store that stuff, and you have to pay to maintain it. Your reward is actually costing you money,

Moreover, you have to consider the opportunity cost. What else could you do with that money? Investing it in a simple index fund would make you more than 5% - the S&P 500 returns more than 6% annualized on average. And investing it more aggressively could make you a lot more than that. What about putting it into your 401k and getting matching funds from your employer because you haven't maxed out your matching yet? Those matched dollars are returning 100% instantaneously - spending them to get 5% back would have been a huge waste of a much better reward. Or you could invest those dollars in building or expanding your own business...if you weren't spending them on frivolous stuff.

So sure, I'd "feel" great about such a card if I already consistently spent enough on credit-eligible expenses for the reward to genuinely be rewarding.  But since I don't, the reward is no reward at all. 

Great post Conductor. Sometimes we need to take a step back and take another perspective in the forum

AMEX BCE 18000CL, Citi DC 15000CL, AMEX EDP 15000CL, CSP 5000CL, Fidelity AMEX 5000CL, Sallie Mae MC 7400CL, US Bank Cash+ 5000CL, Chase Freedom 4000CL, Capital One QS 6000CL, BoA Better Balance 2500CL, Discover It 2000CL, BoA Better Cash Rewards 500CL, Chase Amazon CC 700CL

TU: 756 EX: 755 EQ: 753
Message 7 of 10
randeman
Frequent Contributor

So, if the spend were lower, say $2500, but the reward is still 5% cash back, more people would be amiable to it?

Experian Score: 689--Amex 27 July 2014; Equifax Score 680--MyFICO--17 September 2014; TransUnion Score 718-Discover 20 August 2014--PUH-RAISE JESUS, I finally broke 700!!! Cards and Credit Lines: Escape by Discover, Chase Freedom Signature Visa, Chase United MileagePlus Explorer Signature Visa, Chase Sapphire Preferred Signature Visa, Barclay's Holland America Visa, Citibank Custom Credit Line, Paypal Custom Connect Credit Line, Bloomingdale's, Macy's Premier Elite, Amazon Store Card, Lord & Taylor, Nordstrom, Discover It, Gold Delta SkyMiles from American Express, PayPal BML.
Message 8 of 10
barthooper
Frequent Contributor

@randeman wrote:

So, if the spend were lower, say $2500, but the reward is still 5% cash back, more people would be amiable to it?

I would be for sure, but I still don't hit that level for monthly spend on CCs alone.

Quicksilver - 16k | Discover It - 34k | Citi DC - $21k | Chase Amazon - 8k | Chase Reserve - 19.5k | Chase Preferred - 5k | EX FICO (Discover CSC) 788
Message 9 of 10
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Moved to Smorgas Bored

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.