Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I don't get the Garden thread

tag
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: I don't get the Garden thread

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
I dont get people who dont get a thread that has nothing to do with them should they choose not to participate. I should just start a thread on why do only certain posters only post if it has to do with travel Smiley Wink.

I tend to post on travel topics. Not exclusively, but enough to share a few of my own thoughts.

I find travel topics generally more interesting, rewarding, and useful. Things constantly change with travel cards, so lively and active discussion is important. It's more complex than "get a good cash back card or two and pay the bill on time if you can".

There's also a "division of labor" element. For example, I know airport lounges and the IHG rewards program fairly well and can often give accurate, detailed information. But if I tried to give someone advice about which credit union to go to for a car loan, or when to ask for a CLI from Bank of America, the odds of my giving bad information rise significantly. I don't like getting bad information, nor do I like giving it.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 11 of 29
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@wasCB14 wrote:

@tcbofade wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

I guess talking about NOT getting new accounts and why makes people think too much about credit in general. Safer to talk about fun concerts or gerbil breeds.

Something like that?

That IS a part of it, and it DOES have value.  (for me, anyway.)

Some of the conversations wander a bit off topic and too far into nonsense land, I'll grant you, but there IS good information there and most of the regulars are as helpful as we can be to the newbies.

I know there's good info...but it's so large and disorganized I wonder how anyone finds it among the smorgasboard.

For instance, I see a few posts there mocking this thread (and I've kept this FSR)...but I only know the original jab exists because someone quoted something from ~10 pages before.

While my original mentioning of this thread could be considered a jab, I really just posted about it because it tickled me. Ive never seen a thread asking about another thread on here before. The things you bring up have been discussed in there, most recently at the end of July going into August. The current format is what works for the regulars. While it may be confusing at first, everyone is welcomed and people pop in and out as they need. While it may be unorganized and inefficient for what you believe the intention of the thread is, that spider web of a thread has allowed people to build a comraderie which results in an excellent support group. I find myself not only talking about my gardening, but also general life questions. I trust their answers because I've gotten to know them on a more personal level and that's what makes the thread unique. 

Message 12 of 29
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Your post was first but not one that irked me. "Jab" was not appropriate to describe your posts (others' replies being another matter), and for that I apologize.

I'd have personally been unable (or at least unwilling) to have an actual discussion about it within the thread with all the other noise. So in that sense, a separate thread was necessary!

I get the idea of a support group, etc. It just seems like segregating those posts into several specialized smorgasboard threads each month would accomplish more.

Maybe I just like more organization in problem solving than other people. If I didn't have my credit together, I might feel kind of confused by everything going on there...the place that is supposed to be very helpful.

I guess the idea is to help more in terms of words and encouragement than detailed advice? Or you think detailed advice can be effectively given there *to someone fairly new*?

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 13 of 29
MakingProgress
Senior Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

I get the idea of a support group, etc. It just seems like segregating those posts into several specialized smorgasboard threads each month would accomplish more.

If the Garden thread was sub catorigized I would miss alot.  As an example I enjoy how several members share about their days, but if there was a sub catagory for family news, one for job news, one for CLI's , one for changes in FICO scores, etc.   I doubt I would keep up with it.   With one free wheeling place to go, I can keep up on it all.

I have little to no interest in the travel talk  so I just skim those posts.  That said if I ever wanted to learn about the travel cards I now know several experts that could help guide me.  

FICO 8 Starting Score

Current Scores

Garden Goal is All Reports Clean – Achieved 11/26/20
Message 14 of 29
wingennis
Valued Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
I dont get people who dont get a thread that has nothing to do with them should they choose not to participate. I should just start a thread on why do only certain posters only post if it has to do with travel Smiley Wink.

Have a Pepsi on me, Joe!  

Message 15 of 29
wingennis
Valued Contributor

@RicHowe wrote:
Blame me. I'm the one posting games, trivia and fictitious sponsors!

The garden is zen. Free flowing thought. Old school bulletin board hijinks circa 1998.

I like your posts.  They're the funnest.

Message 16 of 29
the_jan_b
Established Contributor

@MakingProgress wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

I understand the gardening concept...I just don't get how the Garden thread on MF fails to drive participants loony.

Who said it failed? Smiley Very Happy

Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy

Enjoying your freedom? Thank a servicemember and their family!

In the garden since 26 Jun 14...

I am digitaldiva's alter-ego

Message 17 of 29
Felony_Phil
Established Contributor

The Garden Thread reminds me of when I was on FB. Which is exactly why I'm not on FB anymore.
Message 18 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why does posting in garden thread count towards community rank but smorgsaborg does not?

Anyway I don't go into gardening thread. I like getting new cards every month. Don't see the point of gardening. But seems pretty harmless for them and no reason for me to intrude on their fun.
Message 19 of 29
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@Felony_Phil wrote:
The Garden Thread reminds me of when I was on FB. Which is exactly why I'm not on FB anymore.

Lol, the GC is nothing like FB , drama need not apply there. Interesting that you compare it to FB and you no longer are on FB yet you continue to participate in GCSmiley Wink.  

Message 20 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.