cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I figured out how to go from 14 mpg to 45 mpg Guarenteed!

tag
islandchild82
Frequent Contributor

Re: I figured out how to go from 14 mpg to 45 mpg Guarenteed!

haulingthescoreup wrote:

I'm always amazed when I drive through states with no helmet law. My term for these people is "organ donors."

Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 05-22-2008 11:35 AM

I had no idea that there were states without helmet laws! I honestly can't imagine that some states wouldn't require them! I mean, many states even have bicycle helmet laws, lol.

I would personally be too afraid to ride a motorcycle, but to the OP, enjoy! I'm sure it is great to save all of that gas money!
Message 11 of 28
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

@haulingthescoreup wrote:
I used to love riding (passenger only, too klutzy to operate), but between the fools in cars and trucks, the dogs, and random patches of sand, I just can't do it. They're great until they aren't.

I'm always amazed when I drive through states with no helmet law. My term for these people is "organ donors." And before anyone rants at me about individual freedoms (which I support), I just want to point out that too many people on bikes don't carry decent --or any --medical insurance, and the rest of us wind up paying their million-dollar hospital and rehab bills. I see their medical records, and I know how much this is costing in Medicaid and Medicare.

My sympathies to those of you have have lost friends and family this way.

edit to add: poor nosxih, we really hijacked your thread, didn't we? Smiley Sad Enjoy your new ride, but stay safe!

When I was about 24, I wanted a bike really badly. My roommates and I were walking by the lake (Michigan) and I was commenting that I wanted to go test drive one later that day. We all agreed to go, after I convinced them that my mom won't kill us all for allowing me to buy a bike. No sooner than we had settled on it, some idiot comes roaring around the corner doing about 75 MPH in a 30 MPH zone, wearing only a pair of shorts and a helmet (no shoes, no shirt, plenty of service at the local St. Mary's Hospital). He must've mis-shifted or something, because he lost control of the bike big time. I watched in amazement as he tried to steady the bike with his bare feet at 75 MPH. Alas, it was too much for him, and he laid it down for about 50 ft or so.

As we all rushed to him, I can see that he had lost most of his skin on his back, chest, arms and legs. I felt badly for him, but that quickly faded as he started cussing up a storm and being an even bigger idiot than he was before the accident. The fireman looked at me and said that they were just going to dunk him in alcohol. Oh yeah, that'll leave a mark.

Needless to say, I canceled that test drive and haven't been on a bike since then.

My friend's fiance (a police officer) was racing on a city street and hit a school bus. You know how buses pull out to make a left turn, but have to stop for the cross-traffic, consequently leaving their tail end in the lanes? Well, he hit the tail end of the school bus, the other joker laid his bike down and went under the bus. My friend's fiance, not so lucky: Dead at the scene.

Message Edited by ByrdMan on 05-22-2008 07:14 PM

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 12 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was 14 when I saw my first major motorcycle accident. We were in Arizona, and the man was lying on the side of the road and flames were all around him. My mother parked our car, ran into the fire and pulled him safely out.

She had some minor burns and while pulling him out she broke his ankle. He survived the accident and later sued my mother.

The judge threw the case out, and my mother said she would do it all again. Seriously, she saved his life, and he sued her for breaking his ankle. Oh boy!

All of my uncles ride motorcycles and she said she would want someone to help them if the need should arise.

This one incident scared me enough to never want one of these things. However when my Uncle brags about his gas bill on his motorcycle, I am a tad bit envious. I am just not as brave at the OP or my uncle!

And the post about the man with no shirt I can picture him in my mind.....NO THANKS!
Message 13 of 28
nosxih
Regular Contributor

I know that there are some bad stories about motorcycle accidents and they are very real and very sad stories. but there is nothing that will take me off of the two-wheeler. I have driven over 200K miles in the last 5 years going from job site to job site (in my truck not the bike) and I have seen many a accident along the way but never a motorcycle accident. So, I would venture to say that the odds of crashing are slim if you are safe and those who you are sharing the road with are safe.

I have been riding since 1980 and I have also seen motorcyclists' who dart in and out of traffic and who ride down between lanes. They have no business on a bike (at least not in traffic) they are reckless and sometimes give motorcycles a bad name and create a fear of them.

I myself have a motorcycle that I built myself which can exceed 160mph and it is currently undergoing modifications to increase the horsepower. It is for the strip and that is all it is for. Where the conditions are designed for speed.

You will not find me in a dangerous situation that could cause myself or you harm because I ride the way a motorcycle was intended to be ridden. This also goes for most riders on the road today. However, in case anyone does not know it, a person on a motorcycle is often placed in danger by those in vehicles who are not watching for them. Crashes are caused by a biker being foolish or another vehicle being careless. Rarely does a rider crash while riding safely.

The bike I just bought is a 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 750 and it is made for getting on the back road twisties and cruzin', enjoyment and escaping the office. It is not a fast bike. This is the bike that I started this thread about. It is a beauty and sooooo enjoyable to ride. Is is extremely good on gas and in this day and age that is a real added bonus.

I am not trying to sell anyone on motorcycling
(although you don't know what you are missing Smiley Happy ) But on the other hand, I don't want everyone to think that I am a motorcycle rider who has an eminent crash and burn in his future.
Message 14 of 28
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Nos, I certainly wish you all the safety on the road. I have a very dear friend who rides a fatboy. You are right, most of the accidents that I have seen are with cars too. In fact, my friend's (the friend who drives the fatboy) wife just got killed in a single car accident veering from a deer. She was in a car.

I really respect riders and try to look out for them. However, today, it was rather brisk this AM in the Milwaukee area (sunny and about 50 degrees tops) and I got caught behind this rider who was too cold to come within 10 MPH of the speed limit. He was ticking me off. So, then he merges on the same highway that I take to get to my house (65 MPH) and he still won't do more than 40. He was a danger to himself, his girl on the back of the bike, my sons and I and everyone else on the highway. I couldn't wait to pass him and get out of the way of that accident waiting to happen.

BTW, I would never try to talk you out of riding. I will probably start riding again (rode very briefly back in the late 80's) after my kids leave the nest.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 15 of 28
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

nosxih, if you ever get out my way (East Tennessee), I live about 20 miles away from the Dragon on Highway 129 in Blount County, which apparently is one of the most famous rides in the East. If you like swoops, this is the place!
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 16 of 28
nosxih
Regular Contributor

Hey! I am planning a trip to Asheville, NC sometime for next spring. I will mention it when it gets closer to ride time and maybe I can drive through!
Message 17 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yea I tried this. The cost of the bike was far more than the cost of gas. I started out getting good gas mileage but then added some exhaust mods and fuel changes. Got no better mileage than my car. I think it hit close to 189 mph. Melted the tires, another $300, constant oil changes, had to carry chains. I sold the bike and relax in air condition during traffic. Smiley Happy I still want another one. The scooters are dangerous if you live with traffic. Otherwise wear protective gear and be safe. Think about the cost of the scooter -vs- gas. If you have to pay $2000 for a scooter is it really worth it?
Message 18 of 28
Trishco
Frequent Contributor

*sniff sniff* This thread is really REALLY making me miss our fatboy!  We just sold it in Jan or Feb, because since hubz is gone most of the time the bike just sat in the garage!
He (hubz)  had been teaching me to *drive* and on Thanksgiving of 06 I was practicing in a large parking lot.  Well, my confidence had built and I went out of the lot and down the street.  I went to turn around in the street, turned too sharp and laid that big boy down!  It was going down and I never knew I could move so fast cuz I was not about to get stuck under that heavy horse!! 

I had tried a couple of times after that to get back in the *drivers seat*, but I literally get sick to my stomach!  Put me on the back of a Harley and let's R-I-D-E!!

I've loved getting motorcycle rides since I was a little girl.  Always have, always will.

My theory is...when it is your time to go, you are going to go whether from a car accident, lightning strike, or whatever. 

Message 19 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

islandchild82 wrote:

haulingthescoreup wrote:

I'm always amazed when I drive through states with no helmet law. My term for these people is "organ donors."

I had no idea that there were states without helmet laws! I honestly can't imagine that some states wouldn't require them! I mean, many states even have bicycle helmet laws, lol.

I would personally be too afraid to ride a motorcycle, but to the OP, enjoy! I'm sure it is great to save all of that gas money!

It should not be required. It is the riders fault if they choose to ride without one. There is no surprise what happens without proper gear and it is a risk they decide to take. Always wear proper gear which includes more than a helmet. I nod my head when I see guys with flip flops, wifebeaters and shorts...

Message 20 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.