Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I give up on FICO - goodbye community

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I give up on FICO - goodbye community

After trying for over ten years to put some sense to FICO's scoring I am giving up. I will not be renewing my membership in MyFico and whatever my score is, it is -  I give up on trying to improve it.

1: AZEO works, and it doesn't work - and Util means nothing. I have been AZEO for the past year - over $50,000 in credit lines and util never over 1%. Did my score improve? Sure -  to a point, and that point was when the 3 scores hit 800. After that, charge $16 and you lost 10 points, pay off the $16 and you lose another 5.

2: Credit Mix is a joke. I had a motgage and an IA when I broke 800. Paid them both off and my score dropped to between 775 and 790 depending on the bureau. Add an auto loan to get an IA into the mix and lose another 18. So much for the credit mix meaning anything.

3: Since all three of my CRA's are the same except for a couple of hard pulls that were on one or two CRA's but not all 3, I still don't understand why increasing a credit card balance from $5 to $18 can cause a 10 point drop when that card has a $10K CL and I have over 50K in lines. Not only that, that same credit card showing that same balance change increases one CRA score by 5 points at the same time another goes down 10.

Why am I continuing to even worry about it? My houses are both free and clear, I have enough in the bank to pay off the car loan 5 times over, I pay off my credit cards every Sunday. Should I care what my scores are? The likelihood of me ever borrowing again are pretty small, almost nonexistent. I see no sense in remaining and watching the hose-over FICO gives me. They will do it anyway, but why should I pay for the privilege of watching them? Nothing in the world of credit scores seems to work the way it is supposed to, and I guess that is FICO's design - make the rules so opaque that no one can figure them out so that FICO can score us at whatever they want and we will pay them for the privilege. So, long, Community - I just gave up playing that game.

22 REPLIES 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I give up on FICO - goodbye community

To be honest, it seems like you've finally made the realization that many need to make: There is little sense in stressing over every few points gained and lost. - and especially once your credit profile is in line. It is what it is. 

In my opinion, too many people stress over this stuff. One should worry about the big stuff and the score will be what it is. I see way too many "Oh lord, I've lost 10 points on EX, the sky is falling, this is the worst day of my life" etc. 

Congrats on what you've achieved and I wish you the best. Stay healthy and safe. 

Message 2 of 23
VanderSnoot
Established Contributor

^^^ Exactly. There's a reason why score changes of less than around 40 points are considered negligible, even if they happen to put you over/under a threshold.

Message 3 of 23
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

Honestly the only time you need to CHECK on your score is if you have plans on needing the score for something so you of course want it to be the best it can for that purpose.      Should you stress yourself everyday especially if you are over 750 and you keep up with your bills.....Nope.    Take Care and if we do not see you again down the line Stay Safe and Healthy and Happy!

Message 4 of 23
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Wish you all the best. I am hoping to be in your shoes by early next year. I have paid off house and car and decent savings and very good educaiton. Due to family medical issues, I fall behind. Hoping to get all my COs paid off before end of this month and have $0 in debt and couple of good credit cards that I can use as almost like Debit Cards. No more worrying about FICO scores and just lead a quiet, peaceful and debt free life.

Message 5 of 23
AzCreditGuy
Established Contributor

I feel you man with EX at 772 EQ at 755 and TU at 748 and all being equal at 8% across the board at debt ratio....Im just waiting till the debts paid off Jan 2021 and screw my scores whatever they are at. I hit 800 in 2019 without even knowing it and didnt matter since I was only at 4 years and 6 months into the next chapter. The Fico scoring is a game and once you hit 800, who cares after that

Message 6 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous 

Clearly you have your financial ducks in a row and congrats on the bon voyage.

Blue skies when flyin' IFR my friend! Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 23
AllZero
Mega Contributor

CAVU ✈ 👋

Message 8 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous, I think maybe it's better to not worry about AZEO.

Is AZEO helpful? Sure, sometimes, especially if you're right on the line to get a better APR for a major loan. Otherwise? Who cares.

I've recently hit 800. I can't really get to 850 without a mortgage and without letting accounts age more. It doesn't bother me at all. It was an interesting few years to rebuild and expand my accounts and now I've won the game, so to speak.

Just enjoy it flying with a prime score and don't worry about ten or twenty points. That's the point of having a high score- those tiny swings don't even matter.

Message 9 of 23
Gladius
Frequent Contributor

I agree with the OP.  It's all a game and FICO seems to be a moving goal post.

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.