Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I hate Capital One, here's why!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I hate Capital One, here's why!

Back Story:

I have always received 1 or 2 Capital One mailers, every time I check my mail. Which is a ridiculous amount of mail, but besides from being extremely annoyed... I have never done anything about it.

Now, I have recently been trying to learn more about my credit. So I did a http://annualcreditreport.com report, and noticed something very interesting on my Experian Credit Report. Seems like Capital One has been running Soft Checks every few days to get my address!! How is this behavior not classified as harassment or abuse of the system?

After doing more research I have found a website that will stop this. (http://optoutprescreen.com). But I don’t want to opt out from all pre credit prescreens, just from Capital One’s abusive ones. Is there anyone to single out a Capital One from doing anymore soft checks? I understand they don't hurt my credit, but I just don't want them to send me anymore mail. 

HERE IS A SCREENSHOT OF THE CREDIT REPORT: http://i.imgur.com/L3ko0pw.png

Please make sure to look at the image in the link above, before responding, so you can understand what I am refering to!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I hate Capital One, here's why!

That happened to me for much of this past year. I can't go for any card that does 3 HPs. And I'm not interested in any of their cards, including the Venture card. 

The funny thing is if I try their prequalify, NOTHING comes up. Just ignore Cap1. 

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Maybe, try asking Capital One to stop sending offers. Take a look at number 15 on the list of FAQs.

http://www.capitalone.com/identity-protection/privacy/faq/

It also tells you the time frame. Smiley Happy
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am not a Capital One customer, would I still be able to call them and have them opt me out?

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I am not a Capital One customer, would I still be able to call them and have them opt me out?

Neither am I. It has been many years since I called. If I remember, there was a number included in the offer. I don't remember how that number was labeled. Called the number, provided my name and address and that was it. Smiley Happy

It did take about a month for all offers from Capital One to stop.
Message 5 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

You cannot make a selective opt-out under FCRA 604(c) of only one creditor.

If a creditor requests a lisitng, the CRA is not going to generate a listing and then review each one to remove your name.

Perhaps your state statutes provide such ability, but not the FCRA.

Message 6 of 10
Kb109
Frequent Contributor

Call them and ask to be taken off their solicitation list.

Filed Ch7: 6/21/17
Discharged: 10/03/17
Current FICO8 Scores as of 2/10/2019: EX 651, TU 678, EQ 679
My Cards: 1FBUSA $2,900 (survived BK7 and is my oldest account!), Fingerhut $1,100, CreditOne $900, Ollo Rewards $2,500, LendUp Arrow card $2,000, CapitalOne Platinum $3,000. GARDENING FOR THE NEXT TWO YEARS!
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RobertEG wrote:

You cannot make a selective opt-out under FCRA 604(c) of only one creditor.

If a creditor requests a lisitng, the CRA is not going to generate a listing and then review each one to remove your name.

Perhaps your state statutes provide such ability, but not the FCRA.

I am not sure what FCRA has to do with OP's intention; do not want to use official opt out mechanism, just want Capital One to stop soliciting. Capital One, like may other financial institutions, provides consumers a mechanism to utilize if they don't want to receive offers of credit.

List of people provided by CRAs to a company matching pre-selected criteria does not mean that everyone on the list will get an offer. Almost all financial institution will filter the list based on their own, internal or other external, pieces of information and data before generating an offer. One of these filters maybe an explicit intent to not receive such offers by a consumer. Smiley Happy
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

The number of soft pulls seems extraordinarily frequent. But has zero affect on your scores, and shouldn't split your credit file (used to be a common issue, but rare these days). For whatever reason Capital One really wants your business. Check out their pre-approval site to see what cards you're pre-approved for at http://www.capitalone.com/credit-cards/   Who knows, you might get a really good deal...

I realize that's not the answer you're seeking, but from a strictly business standpoint, it may be worthwhile. Capital One has some good cards, generous credit limits that grow rapidly, and decent service. Even if you rarely use the card(s), the additional credit line(s) will help your credit utilization (under 10% is ideal) allowing you to borrow more with minimal impact to your credit scores.

With all that said, contacting the Capital One Executive Office may get results - someone here (I don't have it) can likely PM you the EO contact details.

Message 9 of 10
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Why do you care about soft pulls?

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.