Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm Gonna be a Hillbilly

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm Gonna be a Hillbilly

Hi all. Haven't been around here much lately and thought I'd stop by. Nice changes on the forums, I see.

There are changes happening in my life that I'd like to share. Some of you know I've been living and cruising on my boat for six years, in Baltimore Harbor now.

Well, I applied for a mortgage and was approved. Thanks to these forums my scores are in the 700's and I got a great rate with a painless approval process. Closing is in a few days. I'll no longer be a boat bum, I'll be a hillbilly in the Ozarks. Bought a 2/2 with a fireplace and a great deck surrounded by woods.

It's going to be an enormous change. I'll sure miss my boat and my live-aboard friends here at the marina. Wish me luck as I embark on a new chapter of my life.
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I'm Gonna be a Hillbilly

Congrats! I'll stop by this summer when we go to Branson...LOL!
Message 2 of 10
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Congrats, and good luck! But, awww... the marina... Smiley Sad

You were living one of my dreams!
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 10
fused
Moderator Emeritus

congrats Anderson!
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you don't mind my asking, where in the "Ozarks"?

I live in SW MO, about 90 miles east of Branson.
Message 5 of 10
guiness56
Epic Contributor

I lived in Ozark, Arkansas for 7 years. That is where my mom is from and currently resides. Actually, I lived in the hills of the Ozarks in a town named Jethro. That is where I plan to go when I retire.
Message 6 of 10
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats Anderson.

Guiness--Jethro? Really?

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 849
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 10
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@Junejer wrote:
Congrats Anderson.

Guiness--Jethro? Really?

Yep, up in the mountains off Hwy 23. Don't know what it is like now but when I was there we had no indoor plumbing at all. Had an outhouse and a well. Closet neighbor was 5 or 6 miles away. All red clay roads. Went to the town of Ozark once a month for groceries. Some still live that way. Now that is a hillbilly!
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

If the "worst-case" Peak Oil scenarios come to pass, being a hillbilly might not be all that bad a way of life.

I'd look at getting some solar panels put in, make sure there's arable land around the house.
Message 9 of 10
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
If the "worst-case" Peak Oil scenarios come to pass, being a hillbilly might not be all that bad a way of life.

I'd look at getting some solar panels put in, make sure there's arable land around the house.

I agree, especially if you wind up as the kind of hillbilly that Jed was, while out shootin' at some food. Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 849
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.