Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I’m bored.. We need a new supercard..

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I’m bored.. We need a new supercard..

When is someone going to come out with the new latest greatest splash card? ... Something that screams “apply for me... you must have me!” I have pretty much every card I’ve wanted, now I have an itchy finger and am craving something new. Gardening for 13 months is making my eyes twitchy and I’m afraid I’m scaring the neighbors.. 

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: I’m bored.. We need a new supercard..

Unfortunately most of the new cards these days are copycats of existing products, more or less. Haven't seen a whole lot of innovation. Rewards can only go so high, and programs that are too generous end up nerfed. It seems that although banks are trying to compete, things have kind of peaked for now.

Message 2 of 14
Kforce
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Gardening for 13 months is making my eyes twitchy and I’m afraid I’m scaring the neighbors.. 

So you are the new neighbor !

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd like to see one of the majors, like Amex, bring out a card similar to the Apple Card, but with an attractive reward structure.

In Canada Amex has a credit card aimed at younger people, called Cobalt. it has an annual fee billed monthly at $10, 5x points on restaurants, BARS, groceries and food delivery, 2x points on gas, travel and transit.

If you combined a rewards structure like that, with sign-up through a phone app, reduced live support, I think it could be an interesting, novel product. Amex already will issue you a digital card for the wallet before you receive the physical card, so I think this is within their capabilities.

It has the standard Canadian interest rate of 19.99% on purchases (very few Canadian cards are higher or lower) 

Message 4 of 14
NRB525
Super Contributor

OP which cards do you have?

Are they all converted to Contactless if available?

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:

Unfortunately most of the new cards these days are copycats of existing products, more or less. Haven't seen a whole lot of innovation. Rewards can only go so high, and programs that are too generous end up nerfed. It seems that although banks are trying to compete, things have kind of peaked for now.

I agree with the above, although I'd take it a step further and suggest that the chances of some new great product coming out are likely less today than they were yesterday.  All I seem to see lately are posts about CCCs cutting back their card benefits.  This week has been all about Citi getting rid of a ton of their benefits coming up at the end of Q3 for example.  I think if the general trend is CCCs slowly dropping benefits, the chances of some new innovative product coming out that reinvents the wheel only diminishes.

Message 6 of 14
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Someone introduce a 5% on everything card. Lol I’d go for that. 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pinkandgrey wrote:

In reviewing the latest happenings? It may be lucky if we don't see rewards back to 1:1 on spend/rewards. Shades of the 2011 to 2015 era Smiley Sad

Message 8 of 14
coreysw12
Valued Contributor

I'd love to see a Chase Ultimate Rewards card for groceries and gas. Sure, sometimes we get lucky and get one or both of those as the quarterly bonus on the Freedom card, but since that is severely limited at only the first $1500 of spend each quarter, I'd love to see a new card that permanently does 3-4% on those categories, with no cap.

Then, everyone would be after the Chase quadfecta Smiley Very Happy

Total Loan Balance: $43k / $65k

Total SL: $78k

United 1K - 725,000 lifetime flight miles    |    Chase Status: 4/24
Message 9 of 14
issac2x
Frequent Contributor

@pinkandgrey wrote:

PCMCU does offer a 5% everything unfortunately its a geolocked and membership is limited to a specific group of people.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.