Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If you could do it all over again...

tag
jetsfan2013
Frequent Contributor

If you could do it all over again...

What would be the very first credit card you would apply for?

I had a family member ask me as they graduate school in May, what credit card should they apply for first, and it gave me the idea for this thread.

For me, I would not mess with store branded cards. I would go right for Amex, then break into the Chase family, then Citi.
Road to rebuilding starts soon
Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: If you could do it all over again...

First Cap1 or Discover,   then Freedom and Freedom Unlimited,     next CSP,  after that one more chase card of your desire, Hotel/Airline/Amazon. 

And move on to Amex, If you got Chase Bonvoy, then skip Amex Bonvoy. If you wanted $450 Amex Bonvoy, skip chase $95 bonvoy and get different chase. 

Then Gold, 4x US food and grocery is just too good. 

At this time you probably can upgrade CSP to CSR. 

And then you can just go crazy and do whatever the hell you want haha.

Message 2 of 28
wasCB14
Super Contributor

First app: Brooks Brothers store card, denied. It would have been an okay first card.

Second app, first approval: Freedom. An excellent first card, and I'd do it again.

Third app: Discover. Denied as an individual, approved with my mother as a cosigner. That one I'd do differently!

Her card goes to my address, my card goes to her address. Two people sharing one login. Requesting a CLI was a PITA, so we've only done it once in 5 years ($2k to $3k, while 3 of my last 5 approvals have been $20k).

The card is just useful enough to keep...but not worth applying for with a fresh app.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 3 of 28
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

I’d go straight for Disco and Amex. Although I would also want my DC. 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 4 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dream World: AmEx, Chase, BoA, Citi, Discover, Barclay.

Real World: Capital One, Discover, Citi, BoA, Chase, AmEx

Message 5 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well the credit landscape was a lot different back in the mid-2000s but I would have asked US Bank for a credit card first (they were my bank) and dodged the BoA bullet as well as not making mistakes like always having a balance, taking cash advances, having a premier line reserve and actually having to use it...

Quite frankly it’s a miracle that I have such a strong grasp on my finances now and I wish I would have listened to my grandma who tried to drill that financial responsibility into me from the age of 16...

From US Bank I would have then gotten in with NFCU, then Discover. 

Message 6 of 28
jetsfan2013
Frequent Contributor

Funny you mentioned NFCU...

My first advice I was going to give was to open a checking account(all he has is a savings) at Navy Federal, and then once he lands his first real job, apply for a Visa and LOC there.

My thought is establish a banking (credit) relationship with a place that will grow with you for life, and as your score improves, go after 1 prime card a year.
Road to rebuilding starts soon
Message 7 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jetsfan2013 wrote:
Funny you mentioned NFCU...

My first advice I was going to give was to open a checking account(all he has is a savings) at Navy Federal, and then once he lands his first real job, apply for a Visa and LOC there.

My thought is establish a banking (credit) relationship with a place that will grow with you for life, and as your score improves, go after 1 prime card a year.

This was my same thinking but US Bank I was actually very happy with and they have better rewards cards than NFCU does so I would rather start with them first and then get started with NFCU for the nice big limit Platinum and cashRewards cards. 

Message 8 of 28
xaximus
Valued Contributor

I would have gone with Discover/Chase Freedom for the 5% categories and then probably AmEx/Chase CSR for travel/hotels. I also probably would get the Citi DC 2% for other spending. Ideally, I'd probably just keep 10 cards or less.

Scores - All bureaus 770 +
TCL - Est. $410K
Message 9 of 28
Cmikul
Regular Contributor

I've always given better advise than what I've followed.  

I've had better success at helping other create strong credit positions and failed to follow my own recommendations.  

I think most of my good advise has come from my 20/20 hindsight on how I royally screwed up my decisions. 

Here is what has worked for others....that I've needed to help. 

From a dead start. 

Open at a minimum a savings acct at a Credit Union...not a bank.  Banks don't lend as much and CU's have more memory and tolerance for good behavior. 

Get a secured loan for $1000 and set it up on auto pay to pay equal amounts for 6 months then wait for the statement to cut on the 7th month. 

Check FICO to make sure all 3 bureaus now show positive 6 month activity. 

At this point...most credit unions will write a loan for a vehicle assuming income to support. 

You should also be able to see pre-quals on every site by now.  If not work with what you do get. 

For cards go Discover>Amex>Chase and stop.  

NO blind apps....don't app unless you have a solid and confirmed Pre-Qual

Make sure you have at least 3 cards;  preferrably 3 revolvers and one charge card if you feel the need and can get it. 

Until you have 3 revolvers you will still be limping on short credit. 

use all 3 cards as much as income allows. 

Pay in full before the due date then between the due date and before the closing date use and let close 9% usage on every card

Rinse and repeat for another 6 months to a year. 

After this I can't think of anything you wouldn't or shouldn't be able to get or get approved for with the right income.

I've done this with 3 people now....and it has put all 3 in bettter positions faster than I ever was in at their age.  

It's made their credit stronger than they should have at their income levels and peer level. 

Wish I had someone to help hold my hand when I was younger...because it was painful to learn the lessons of experience. 

PS..learn the value of an app....don't pull a HP to save $10 at Ulta.  Stay away from Store cards....

many youth tend to run to jewelry store cards because they are easy to get with thin profiles ....but the 18months to build a better foundation is worth it and not that long of a time to defer gratification.

Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.